I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Side effects of chemo

User
Posted 25 Mar 2022 at 14:27

Hi, my darling Husband was diagnosed in 2004 with G 7 psa 8.2 node neg. Prostate ca.  He had RRP and zero psa for 3 years, it then went in 2008 to 0.2 and he had SRT.  All fine till 2016 then slowly rose. In 2020 was 0 48 2021 2.3   so panic.  Urologist said he is not worried see you in a year.  Now it is 15.85 and they have  found a regrowth in prostate bed.  They said it is a recurrence.  Ct showed one area on L3 which they are not sure of so bone scan.  That is Monday.

Prior to this he was having trouble urinating and had pain in kidney.  Went a & e where he had a bad bleed.  He also had a bad Infection and a swollen kidney.They referred him for a ct urogram and cystoscopy where they told us about the hard lump.  Saw the urologist Wed who said yes it is a hard abnormal area   He told us his option would be Zoladex if not spread or chemo added if it has.  He is a active and  fit but 80.  Uro said the tumour wasn't blocking the flow of urine as they got a catheter and camera up there so urine would get through.  He still has a catheter.

He is so worried about the side effects of chemo especially.  Could anyone tell us how bad it is.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2022 at 21:30
My father-in-law had chemo at the age of 79 and his main problem was not being allowed to go to the pub on days 5-8 of each cycle because of the higher risk of catching an infection round those days. His hair fell out and he got a few mouth ulcers but apart from that, tolerated the chemo very well. Your husband could start chemo and then stop after one or two cycles if he is really struggling but most manage either 6 or 10 cycles without too much bother. Avoiding infection is the main thing.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard