I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA slight increase

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 08:58

From my profile you will see that I had RT in 2016 and my PSA after that was 0.26. After a couple of years of hospital regular checks in 2019 I was then instructed to have annual PSA checks via my GP and report back to them if it were to rise above 1.

My latest PSA last month came back at 1.3, against 0.753 the year before. Although my GP called it 'normal' I contacted the hospital and now have a telephone appointment ('do no physically come to the hospital') for mid May.

What can I expect they will do? I have no obvious symptoms, flow maybe a fractional slower but nothing else. And remain in good health doing regular 5 mile weekly walks. They suggested last time I saw them that it might just be to go back on HT (I was on Prostap for six months during treatment). Anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks

(the forum one doesn't want to be on and which I still visit daily!)

User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 17:24
They may not do anything other than monitor your PSA. A recurrence is only presumed post-RT if the PSA rises above 2.0 so at the minute, there is still no reason to think that you will need further treatment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 05 Apr 2022 at 22:14
I imagine, more frequent PSA checks, will be suggested. Remember, you (& I) still have a prostate, even if it is more like a squashed tomato. I believe you can have what they call "Salvage" RT - but, as Lyn says, they will not be too bothered, unless it rises above 2.0
I think it's more the rate of increase, that can cause concern.
Good luck.
User
Posted 06 Apr 2022 at 08:07
Thanks. I suspect more frequent PSA tests is the most likely initial path - they haven't said but with the telephone appointment still six weeks away they may ask for another one before then.
User
Posted 06 Apr 2022 at 11:04

As my profile shows PSA moved around a bit over the many years. 2 is my referall point. Experience tells me they can get a bit concerned on jumps. So get it checked but it can come or settle down.

When I needed a referral a few years back  consultant said treatment would if needed be HT which I  expected.

My GP is keen on me making sure I book a PSA test every 6 months.

Ray

Edited by member 06 Apr 2022 at 11:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 May 2022 at 07:14
I had my telephone appointment with the clinic on Monday, pleasant chat. They are recommending a new MRI scan and another PSA, also suggesting there are various new treatments they can offer now but didn't elaborate. After that a review in a couple of months. Will keep you updated.
User
Posted 01 Jun 2022 at 15:05

Yesterday I had a bone scan at Royal Berks, with some blood tests and a CT scan with dye planned for next week. I now have a question.

When I had my original bone scan, at Harefield, I had some issues with flow afterwards and ended up in A&E with retention - which cleared by itself by the time I got there. I has similar issues yesterday, slightly reduced and hesitant flow for a short while after I got home and my bowels also got upset, later after I went to bed I had a bit of pain in the prostate area. I took a senna tablet when I went to bed. Flow back to normal this morning and the prostate pain has gone but bowels still a bit upset. They tell you there are no side effects from these scans but you must drink plenty to get the radiation out of your system (which I did). Having happened both times I wonder if others have had the same.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 12:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Yesterday I had a bone scan at Royal Berks, with some blood tests and a CT scan with dye planned for next week. I now have a question.

When I had my original bone scan, at Harefield, I had some issues with flow afterwards and ended up in A&E with retention - which cleared by itself by the time I got there. I has similar issues yesterday, slightly reduced and hesitant flow for a short while after I got home and my bowels also got upset, later after I went to bed I had a bit of pain in the prostate area. I took a senna tablet when I went to bed. Flow back to normal this morning and the prostate pain has gone but bowels still a bit upset. They tell you there are no side effects from these scans but you must drink plenty to get the radiation out of your system (which I did). Having happened both times I wonder if others have had the same.

As part of the tests I had - bone scan was one of them, I think it was the Dye injected, a couple of hours before the scan. Thankfully, all was clear - they told me straight after the test.
Perhaps you are allergic  to the Dye? Or was it just nerves? If I'm worried about something, it tends to have a Laxative effect on me. 
I hope your OK now.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 13:46

No I had no side effects from the bone scan. For the MRI I felt quite queezy by the end, which apparently is unusual.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 13:58

Dave, I would push to get a PSMA PET scan before going on to hormone therapy, with a view to identifying a further curative treatment. Royal Berks don't have this facility and have to refer patients to Oxford or Mount Vernon for PSMA PET scans. Unfortunately, hospitals without this facility in-house tend to be much more reticent in offering it, which may mean patients miss out on potential curative treatments.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 20:15

Joining this thread.
Following RALP with an upgrade from Gl.7(3+4) to Gl.7(4+3) tert. 5 and couple of positive margins, I’ve had a year of undetectable PSA.

Today got a 0.04 result which I know to the experienced is but a blip. However it has knocked me for six. Waiting to hear from GP and Urology. Thx for the inputs so far (above). 

- Chippers, 54, husband, dad, brother and normally Chief-fixer (but not this time).

co-founder of The stoPCock Club, www.stopcock.club

Edited by member 20 Jun 2022 at 14:16  | Reason: .

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 08:23
Best wishes Chippers, hope you get some resolution. But you no longer have a prostate, I would be ecstatic if my PSA was .04!
CT scan with dye today, hopefully I will have some news soon.
User
Posted 28 Jun 2022 at 08:15
Well after a bone scan and a most of my body CT together with various blood tests all is clear. Telephone consultation with the consultant yesterday. PSA has actually reduced slightly, 1.2 as against 1.3 in March. They will do another PSA in six months and decide then but at the moment they see no reason for any further treatment.
User
Posted 28 Jun 2022 at 10:00
Excellent news Dave!

I'm a few years behind you on my treatment so your thread is useful info.