Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Postponed RP due to covid

User
Posted 06 Apr 2022 at 17:06

Hi guys.

Quick bit of advice needed regarding hubby.  He should have been having his RP at UCLH tomorrow, but unfortunately he caught covid about 3-4 weeks ago.   they postponed his op and said he has to wait 7 weeks from negative result. (It’s The anaesthetist who wants to wait.)  That would take him to May 3rd.

We’ve not heard anything since.   Has anyone else had this happen to them? Did they need to chase up a new appointment themselves?

He’s really stressing as he was all psyched up and ready to go!  He’s expecting to get a new appointment, but no one is contacting him about it.  Thanks all.

User
Posted 06 Apr 2022 at 19:21
Contact them - their system won't automatically flag up the date that he had his first negative test.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Apr 2022 at 21:38

Susie, as advised chase them up as he may need another pre-op assessment before his surgery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Apr 2022 at 17:29

Hi Susie,

At first I was thinking this is ridiculous and I'd be so annoyed.  Although a quick search found the below and there are quite a few other links to it.   I assume it's good information but know nothing about it.  I still think I'd be torn depending on my diagnosis.   

The article was published in 'Anaesthesia' so presumably the Anaesthetist knows more about it.  Although 2 and a half times next to nothing is still very small.

'Researchers discovered that patients are more than two-and-a-half times more likely to die after their operations, if the procedure takes places in the six weeks following a positive diagnosis for SARS-CoV-2.

Led by experts at the University of Birmingham, more than 25,000 surgeons worked together as part of the COVIDSurg Collaborative to collect data from 140,727 patients in 1,674 hospitals across 116 countries including Australia, Brazil, China, India, the UAE, UK and USA - creating one of the world’s largest and broadest studies on surgery.

Publishing their findings in Anaesthesia, the researchers discovered that patients operated 0-6 weeks after SARS-CoV-2 infection diagnosis were at increased risk of postoperative death, as were patients with ongoing symptoms at the time of surgery.

We recommend that whenever possible surgery should be delayed for at least seven weeks after a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result, or until symptoms resolve if patients have ongoing symptoms for seven weeks or more after diagnosis.

Co-lead author Dr Dmitri Nepogodiev, from the University of Birmingham'

Edited by member 07 Apr 2022 at 17:31  | Reason: Not specified