Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The journey begins. Strap in

User
Posted 08 Apr 2022 at 15:18

Husband, 46, diagnosed April 2022.

gleason 6, T2a 1cm lesion contained within one side of prostate. Prostate feels benign.

MRI and trans perineal biopsy. 

Treatments offered- AS, RT, RP, HIFU, possibly brachytherapy but need to check prostate size.

likely to pursue HIFU as part of a clinical trial (no private insurance or funds. 

Other health issues mean radiotherapy not ideal (small children in the house and already taking calcium and vit d for bones).

will update once we have made a decision and started the next steps. 

User
Posted 08 Apr 2022 at 16:03

Sorry to hear that your husband has joined the "club".

It  is worth reading as much as you can about the various treatments so that you are fully informed. Your husbands cancer staging is quite low  so, notwithstanding his age, AS should not I consider be ruled out. I was on AS for 3 months and only decided to undergo treatment (  Prostate removed) when my PSA score had again increased. By the way, what is your husbands PSA score?

Ivan

User
Posted 08 Apr 2022 at 20:48

psa was 3.6 when investigations started properly up from 3.4 last year

User
Posted 09 Apr 2022 at 09:49

It is going to be a difficult decision to make as both the PSA score and Gleason grading are quite low and suggests that the cancer is in the very early stages of development. Research suggests that 1 in 5 men ( US research suggests it is 2 in 5 men) age 40 have evidence of prostate cancer, that most men over 60 have it and virtually all men over 80 have it. Most prostate cancer is slow growing ( a single cell can take over 400 days to form suggesting that a 1 cm lesion could be 40 years old) and most men diagnosed with it and getting treatment at the appropriate time usually die of something else.

All the treatments for prostate cancer have side effects and the balancing act is deciding when to undergo treatment. If I was your husband, though I realise that once you have been told you have cancer you want to do something about it, basing the decision on his PSA score , grading and the fact that the cancer is still contained within the prostate I would opt for 3 or 6 monthly PSA testing and only undergo treatment if the PSA score was increasing  at each test.

For the record, this is a personal view and others on here may disagree

Ivan

User
Posted 09 Apr 2022 at 17:55

Thanks Ivan that’s a really interesting and calm perspective. Currently we fell HIFU is the way to go and so fingers crossed we will be speaking to UCHL in May. 

User
Posted 09 Apr 2022 at 18:11
Sorry that you find yourselves here. There is lots of support and advice and has Ivan has said, do your research. It’s not where any of us want to be but from what you have detailed re your husbands dx, his cancer is treatable and which ever way you decide to go it is with a curative outcome. Wishing you both well x
User
Posted 09 Apr 2022 at 23:06

Worth noting he only got diagnosed because he had a UTI which is uncommon in men. The GP then refered him to a urologist. His psa was 15 with the UTI and then didn’t drop lower than 3.5

His father also had prostate cancer. I don’t think PSA is routinely screened but think men can ask to have it done age 50 or so. 

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 10:05

For information, your profile page shows the age 34 which people might think is your husbands age. You have said in your opening comment that your husband is 46 and responders to your subsequent comments might shape their answer thinking your husband is only 34 (which though not unknown is quite young to be diagnosed with prostate cancer).

The fact that your husband's father had/has prostate cancer is another risk factor to take into account.

And, yes, it is much easier to get an NHS PSA test when you are 50 

Ivan

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 13:36

Hi- yes that’s my age. So maybe I edit the profile to his specifics? Thank you. I feel like he was still fairly young and had a proactive GP in pushing things through. 

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 14:33

Yes, 46 is still young and your husband having a proactive doctor is indeed good news.

If I was you, I would use your husbands specifics in the profile

Ivan

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 15:42

Prostate cancer was in my husbands family . Father and uncles , he was screened regularly from about 45. Didn’t actually need the op till 67 but at least we were prepared.