I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad with bone metasteses offered surgery for hip fracture- should he have the surgery?

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 16:23

Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer several years ago but was found to have spread to his bones about 2 years ago. His mobility and general condition has deteriorated gradually over this time to the point where has had significant pain and was using stair lift and zimmer frame to mobilise. 

About 2 weeks ago he developed severe increase in pain in his left hip and he has been unable to walk. Dad had an xray a few days ago and he was found to have a fractured hip. The surgeon has offered him surgery to repair his hip but dad was warned about the risks of anaesthetic and covid due to the surgery but without the surgery he is completely bed bound. 

Dad has been in a hospice for one week now and so his pain is well managed with a syringe driver and his care has been amazing but we are all struggling to decide if the surgery is a good option. Dad's first reaction was that he didn't want to spend his remaining time recovering from an operation but he is so unsure of what to do. dad wants to spend the rest of his life at home if possible.

Has anyone had any expereince of a hip repair with widespread bone metasteses? If so was it successful and what was recovery like?

Thanks in advance :-)

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 18:41

How old is your dad? I don't know myself but if I were over 80 and things were clearly going downhill, I wouldn't want medics trying to fix one problem after another. If I were 70 I would probably hope for a few more years.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Apr 2022 at 21:06

Hi Dave, Dad is 69 and we know he is palliative. I guess we are just trying to see if someone has had this procedure with extensive bone metastatic disease and it has been a big success. We are just trying to see how we can manage with him being totally bed bound forever

Thanks for your reply 😃

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 07:05
My dad had his femur fixed with titanium rods about 25 years ago after a pathological fracture caused by prostate cancer Mets. It significantly improved his QOLfor the short time he had left with us (18 months).

It was well worth the trauma of the op.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 07:52

That is great to hear, thank you so much for your reply 😊but I’m sorry you have experienced what we are now.

Can I ask about your Dad’s general health before the fracture. My Dad’s mobility was pretty poor before, he was using a Zimmer frame and taking a few steps in the house but using a mobility scooter when outside.

Edited by member 11 Apr 2022 at 08:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 16:20

Dear nikkin3100 ... I was very surprised to see this post because I have had to cope with exactly this problem!! 

I fractured my femur on 29th Jan this year. Am now having physio to help me recover from th operation... so far so good. Click on my Avatar for the complete story of my journey with prostate cancer

Regards tp1944

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 17:42

Thank you so much for your message, glad to hear you are recovering well! 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2022 at 18:47
Re my dad he was pretty fit before his PC struck..