I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Possible spinal compression?

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 16:01

Quick recap (also see bio if interested): 54yrs, diagnosed Jan'21, Gl.7(3+4) Gr.2.

RP Jun'21, Gl.7(4+3+tert5), pT2c, Gr.3, two positive/touching margins.

'Textbook' recovery. Undetectable PSA in Sept, Dec, Mar - next due 1st Jun before potentially extending to 6 monthly.

Since September have some right shoulder pain quite possibly due to overdoing the 'get fit again' press-ups in July/Aug. Physio pointed towards rotator cuff injury. exercises didn't help. GP triggered X-ray and MRI, concluded bursitis. Living with that for a bit. But... 

Have always had a slightly dicky lower back. Any digging in the garden, lifting etc irritates some of the lower joints and takes a good few days to alleviate. For last ten weeks or so have been getting progressively more intensive lower back pain without a specific or meaningful injury/exercise source. Standing for more than about 15 mins triggers sciatica - pain in right buttock, tingling/numbness in right foot, sprain-like pain in right ankle. Walking can do same, but not always. Over a short jogging distance I can 'run it off' but haven't done this for a couple of weeks. Restarted karate after 30 years about six weeks ago but had this issue beforehand. That is intense exercise but doesn't particularly trigger any significant back pains or twinges. Almost as if higher intensity exercise helps. It may obviously have exacerbated but definitely isn't the cause. Have seen an Osteo 4 times in past 2 weeks. Yesterday I took some better manipulation but he is concerned regarding ongoing tingling/numbness in foot. Am skipping the karate session tonight on his advice.

Am mobile, minor background pain as I sit at the computer today, but not needing any painkillers. Have contacted GP, and am awaiting a response. 

Trying not to self-diagnose, but reading some scary stuff on SCC, both on here and within Walsh's Guide to surviving. Hardly feels like this is a medical emergency. Any thoughts on whether it is realistic that I can have some spinal compression from metastasized PC given the undetectable PSA so far? And so quickly since an undetectable 1st Mar PSA test?

- Chippers, 54, husband, dad, brother and normally Chief-fixer (but not this time).

co-founder of The stoPCock Club, www.stopcock.club

Edited by member 20 Jun 2022 at 14:06  | Reason: .

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 18:45

Very unlikely to be SCC from prostate cancer. You weren't massively high risk, and undetectable PSA means the cancer is probably gone and if not gone then very much under control. 

You might have SCC for some other reason, but probably not. You almost certainly have what us old people call a bad back. So yes, see if you can get it sorted but put your fears of PCa SCC at the bottom of the list.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 18:54

Dave gave me some good advice that made me smile every ache pain you put down to your treatment or diagnosis but we are getting old and you seem to put that out off mind lots are age related 🙈

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 18:45

Very unlikely to be SCC from prostate cancer. You weren't massively high risk, and undetectable PSA means the cancer is probably gone and if not gone then very much under control. 

You might have SCC for some other reason, but probably not. You almost certainly have what us old people call a bad back. So yes, see if you can get it sorted but put your fears of PCa SCC at the bottom of the list.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Apr 2022 at 18:54

Dave gave me some good advice that made me smile every ache pain you put down to your treatment or diagnosis but we are getting old and you seem to put that out off mind lots are age related 🙈