User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 18:03

Anyone got any news they could pass on about 

a suprapubic catheter had one fitted two days ago

i am in pain

regards Barry

User
Posted 14 May 2022 at 19:17

Barry, had a suprapubic catheter for just over five years. Just after a change or fittings of a new catheter it can take a few days to settle down. Instilagel or hydrocaine in the hole can help with soreness but i would not mess with a new on just yet. I take Regurin to reduce bladder spasms which is another cause of discomfort.

I assume you have it stitched in at the moment which again can be uncomfortable.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 06:09

Thanks for the info Chris ,

I have had mine fitted after a large bladder stone removal,
They went in through the stomach , the stone was stuck in my
urethra and there is lots of damage scar tissue ect in my urethra ,
I now have a catheter in my penis which is very sore
and a SPC which is also sore , i am also having bladder spasms
I am very fed up , just got out of Hospital yesterday , can you give me any idea
how long it takes to settle down , I had the Op on Thursday 13th,
Can you tell me how often it gets changed , and do you do it yourself

Thank you so much
Barry

Edited by member 15 May 2022 at 06:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 09:14

Barry, I have had two catheters at the same time on a couple of occasions. For the urethral catheter I would  ask for some instilagel and ask if it only to apply some in the tip of the penis, you can get it without prescription from a pharmacist.  The suprapubic catheter wound  just needs keeping clean with boiled water. Don't be surprised it the suprapubic wound gets infected and needs some antibiotics. On both occasions the stitch was meant to be removed after a few days but the GP practice nurse would not remove the stitch because it was too infected. Most people seem to leave the dressing off when possible.

I had a SPC fitted on two occasions once after a failed dilatation punctured the urethra and the second time was as insurance against a stricture closing up before having salvage RT. I don't recall either of them being particularly painful, they were definitely sore. I wonder if you pain is more from damage caused by the stone. The bladder spasms were definitely painful and at times were happening 40 times a day for a few minutes each time.  Ask for some antispasm medication, it may take a few days to work, I have tried a number of different medications but found trospium chloride/ Regurin to be the best. Following a SPC change the catheter will either be in the right place and totally comfortable or in slightly the wrong place and annoying for a few days until it settles in the right place.

If the catheters were going to be in long term they would be left in for twelve weeks, the SPC one probably had a microbial coating. Nearly all catheters are licensed to left in for a maximum of twelve weeks. Routine changes vary from 2 to a maximum if 12 weeks. Frequency of changes will vary depending on how much sediment or encrustation builds up , I have my SPC changed every eight weeks. 

After my dilatations they were usually left in for four weeks. When I had both catheters at the same time the urethral catheter was removed first and the SPC was left in for a couple of weeks but had a tap fitted instead of a bag, I then urinated normally and the tap was there there to release urine if I went into retention. I don't change mine myself, many people do change thier own. 

When they punctured my urethra, urine was getting into the soft tissue of the penis and that was extremely painful and the penis did swell up. You could be getting some urine coming past the catheter and causing and issue.

Make sure you are drinking plenty. Constipation can stop the catheters draining freely. If both catheters are connected to drainage bags, you would be unlucky to get both catheters blocked. If you do have drainage issues get help. Don't be surprised if the urine in each bag is a different colour.

Hopefully it will all settle down soon. Always happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 09:49

Chris 
WOW what a story 
thank you for all that info , I am getting severe pain when

some urine dribbles outside the penile catheter at the tip

I have some instillagel I will give that a go ,

How do you cope with everyday things like gardening and driving with the SPC 
Cheers for all that Chris , I am reading your profile 

Regards Barry

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 10:15

Barry, dealing with a long term catheter is very different to having a catheter for a couple of weeks after a RARP. You learn lots of tricks to make life easier. 

Most activities are no problem, heavy mannual work can be a problem, renovation of my daughter's house wasn't an issue, but I might give relaying the paving slabs a miss.

The urine past the catheter (bypassing) is a common occurrence, do you get any swelling of the penis with the pain. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 10:33

Hi Chris ,
I have no swelling of my penis yet , just severe pain when it dribbles out and causes 

a bladder spasm which as you know is very painful ,

I am just wondering could the bladder spasm be being caused when my urine dribbles past my catheter

and into the damaged urethra at the neck of the bladder

I am just about to try some instilagel 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 10:51

Barry ,with a urethral catheter bypassing when passing a motion is quite common but , I don't recall that causing a spasm. I could almost guarantee getting a spasm if sat at a desk for a few minutes. As you say it urine getting into the damaged urethra is a likely cause of pain. Pain is often transmitted in the water works system.

Hope the instilagel helps. If you are going to have the catheter for a while ask about the antispasm meds.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 May 2022 at 07:35

Well

I had severe back pain , my wife took me to the A&E on Sunday night 2 00am 
I was admitted within an hour with supected stone in kidney
I had a CT scan and meds and the pain went very quickly 
In the morning the Doc came round and gave me bad news about my CT scan 
She asked me what I knew about my cancer , I told her i had a Nuclear Scan in Feb 
and it show two patchs one in each inner thigh , She said well the scan showed it has now spread all over 

my rib cage and full length of my spine , I feel let down my my Onco in a london Hospital 
I told her about the pain in my lower back two months ago and rib cage , she said take Vit D
and put me on 3 Monthly telephone talks and 3 monthly PSA checks and back on HT Zoladex 3 monthly,
My Local hospital has sent over all the information about my recent scan 
Yesterday when I got out I phoned up my London Hospital and told them all about what had happened

, they told my that they had received all the scans and that my Multi displinary team would get it touch with me ,
I wonder will I be able to have Chemo again , or will it be something else 
any information would be of help

Regards Barry

Edited by member 18 May 2022 at 07:39  | Reason: Not specified