Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter Removal - not sure whats normal

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 12:43

Hi all,

Had a robotic prostatectomy back end of April and catheter came out on Friday. Peeing seems quite difficult at the moment and yet feel like I constantly need to pee - almost like I did when catheter was in place. Getting up several time in the night to pee and on those occasions flow seems to be okay - it's just during the day it seems more hesitant. They checked retention in hospital  at my twoc and it was 135ml initially and that dropped to 61ml. I am going -  just not like I used to and it seems more strained. Just wondering whether this is all normal as I realise Catheter only came out on Friday and had been in for 15 days, so I am guessing it takes a while to re-adjust. Would appreciate others experiences for a bit of re-assurance. Thanks

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 14:54

Jogler, having a pee is a very complicated process that we probably take for granted. Your urinating will be different to before. Your sphincter has almost certainly been removed along with your prostate and you now have to rely on your lower sphincter , pelvic muscles and your bladder neck. Add to that your nerves and urethra etc have all been bashed about, there will be bits of scabs and debris in there that have to settle down and come out, internal stitches have to dissolve.

Now the catheter is out you can resume your pelvic floor exercises. Remember to tense those muscles as you stand. Try to extend the amount of time between visits to the toilet. Some guys use a urine bottle at night to try and minimise the amount of disturbed sleep. 

We all recover at different speeds, stay positive, tomorrow could always be the day you are dry.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 15:33

Thanks colwickchris for the response. I suppose it's the constant feeling of wanting to go like when the catheter was in situ that I have found surprising and then when I try to go not much comes out during the day. What I don't understand is why the flow is so much better at night when I need to get up and go pee. Been wearing pads and incontinence pants at night but not very much in them at all at the moment. Anyway your advice about everything needing to settle and it being different all makes perfect sense. Have been doing the pelvic floor exercises since this all kicked off in January and now have started them up again since catheter came out. Thanks again for your response - greatly appreciated.

Edited by member 15 May 2022 at 15:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 21:19
Hi jogler, my hubby is 8 weeks post op and it takes a while to settle. He was up 3 times a night initially, now once a night. He also passed a smallish clot so remember there is a lot of healing to do. As long as you are peeing and don’t go into retention, I’m sure it will settle down. Yes re-start your pelvic floor exercises. Hubby uses squeezy app. Hope continence is good? Wishing you well x
User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 21:32
Thanks Jayney for the reply; that's reassuring to hear.I think my concern is around my lack of flow when peeing during the day although tbh there isn't the same feeling now anyway so perhaps I am peeing more than what I think I am, when I do go. Not much in pads or incontinance pants at the moment but I won't be surprised if that changes, given all the tales that I have read on here about incontinance issues. The pad I am wearing now I have had on all day and its still dry with just maybe a drip mark in it. I am still getting the occasional bit of blood but nothing thats alarming and I did notice a small clot earlier today. just wondering whether the poor flow is usual but then I guess that everyone is different. Its just that it seems to be coming out more as a steady trickle rather than with any force behind it! thanks once again and best wishes to you and hubby on your own journey.
User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 08:22

Hi jogler, yes the steady trickle was normal for first 3-4 weeks and as days go by there seems to be more force. Good news re continence and long May it continue for you. Hubby is the same, odd drip towards end of day when muscles get tired. Keep doing the exercises. It all has to heal and settle down so give it time. Sounds like you are making good progress. Wishing you well x