I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bone Scan timetable

User
Posted 11 Jun 2022 at 20:53

So having been told it was alright to go on a long awaited trip to the US to visit son and grandson a letter arrived today saying that  we have been advised to delay the trip until after the results of the bone scan. The scan is on 17th - how long are the results realistically likely to take?

"Time is like a drug. Too much of it kills you." - Terry Pratchett

User
Posted 12 Jun 2022 at 00:44

My husband had biopsy and bone scan on consecutive days and then had an appointment just over 2 weeks later to get his full diagnosis.

What date are you due to be away? Might be worth explaining that you need the results fairly quickly, some hospitals can be good in these situations. 

Fingers crossed you get all back quickly.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2022 at 07:34
Two to four weeks would be typical. Each stage in the diagnostic process tends to take about a month: MRI, biopsy, then bone scan.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Jun 2022 at 12:24

I think my results took a week. That was pre-covid. With a PSA of 7.2 and a Gleason 9. I think there are not many cancer cells in his body. I would be very surprised if it had spread. I can't think why you are being asked to await the results. So I would be very inclined to go on holiday. The only fly in the ointment is that the insurers could say you travelled against medical advice and if you make a claim it could be rejected.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Nov 2023 at 15:41
I know its been a while but just to say we went on holiday having not had the results - we spoke to the hospital and they said it would be OK to go and they put husband on HT in the meantime. They said we could get results when we got back. In the event they rang us in the States as the results were good. and the scan was negative They admitted if they had been bad they would have waited til we got back but as they were good they thought we would like to know - it was very thoughtful.

"Time is like a drug. Too much of it kills you." - Terry Pratchett