Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Its time I became visible on this!

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 19:41

Hi all,

Where to begin, firstly, probably with Martin and his recent posts under the younger men specific groups category. If you're reading this mate, Im so sorry you find yourself here with the rest of us. but in sharing your thoughts and fears you have triggered me to perhaps share my own story.

Im Jamie. Im now 47.

In September of 2020 and for the first time in my life, I experienced,what for me, was an outrageous episode of haemorrhoids and what seemed to follow was an urgency in my needing to pee. I assumed the two were linked and, given my fathers ,albeit, non cancerous issues with his prostate, were maybe just a part of getting old.

Fast forward almost 1 year (Sept21) and on and off urgency in peeing issues, I decided to call my GP and ask for some sort of tablet that would alleviate these issues. Thankfully she was as dilligent as she was intelligent and after prescribing me antibiotics to clear any potential infection, insisted to me, and, just to make sure, I come in for a routine blood test. This I did and within a few weeks I was reffered to Urology at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

What followed throughout the month of December, were the worst 4 weeks of my life.

Upon my initial consultation (DRE), the Urologist made it clear that things were not entirely okay and that I needed further tests, however, given my age (46) and non prior familial history of prostate or breast cancer, we should remain positive until the outcome of these tests.

A cystoscopy, an ultra sound and an MRI followed with the latter indicating a trans rectal biopsy was required.

I attended said bioscopy 5 days before Xmas, still, naively, believing I had prostatitis. To some, this isnt a painful procedure, to me? I found it horrific. Im probably most scarred by the consultant, quite nonchalantly,telling me, as he was doing it, that it was almost certainly cancer.

Xmas was obviously a bit crap and on the 7th of Jan I received a call to confirm that I had a T3a prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 3+4 and a PSA of 11.4. 

I was given 2 options, radiotherapy, which included 20 sessions alongside a 3 year hormone treatment. OR robotic assisted radical prostatectomy. The first of my appointments was with the oncologist, she was delightful and clearly explained that my prostate was like an island and that my cancer was on its west coast. it was not aggresive but it's coastal position presented a problem, whilst not directly advising me, she gave me the distinct impression that surgery was perhaps my better option. 3 years of hormone therapy would almost certainly deprive me of my ability to reverse park or understand the offside rule, wouldn't it? ;)

4th March and a visit to the Glasgow Queen Elizabeth and a meeting regarding potential RARP. I thought back to 1986 and walking out of a reserve match at Celtic Park, I met the only human being I had ever wanted to meet, Paul McStay (great Celtic player). I was gobsmaked. He was my hero. My only hero. Until now. Mr whateverhisname assured me, that given him and I were almost exactly the same age, that he would do his utmost to ensure the best outcome for me. He told me that I would probably have contininence issues after surgery that would almost certainly improve with time and also have potency issues, that again, would almost certainly improve with time.

I had my surgery on the 10th of May. I was told by the nurse who was with me in my operation that my surgeon, true to his word, spent at least another 90 minutes with me to spare 3 of the 5 on my right side nerve bundle, having spared my entire left. He had told them it was a "little sticky" on that right hand bundle, but that he needed to give it his best as he had promised me. My hero, my true hero.

9 days later I had the catheter removed at Gartnavel Hospital and, unexpectedly ,my continence, was pretty much perfect, I wore pads for the following 7 days expecting something to be wrong, but thankfully I have been 100% okay on that front. Regarding ED, It is now 6 weeks since surgery and I have not had anything close to a pre operative erection, as anticipated, but as each day passes, something stirs. Also and just as important, the dry orgasm thing? Whilst a little bizarre at first, Is not the worst thing in all of this. 

So, to summarise, I am almost 7 weeks on from the op.I have my pathology report set for the 8th July ,I'm hopeful,  I start back work next week feeling confident to do so. My scars are healing, I live with a woman that I have now, absolutely, realised I love  more than I could ever possibly convey and I am also ridiculously happy at having found the genorosity that some of you have within you to give to people like me and hopefully Martin too.

The Chris's, The Dave's, The Barry's, The Ulsterman's The Ivan's but maybe more than anyone? THE LynEyre.

Thank you all for making my journey that little bit easier.

Much love.

Jamie.

Edited by member 11 May 2023 at 02:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 19:41

Hi all,

Where to begin, firstly, probably with Martin and his recent posts under the younger men specific groups category. If you're reading this mate, Im so sorry you find yourself here with the rest of us. but in sharing your thoughts and fears you have triggered me to perhaps share my own story.

Im Jamie. Im now 47.

In September of 2020 and for the first time in my life, I experienced,what for me, was an outrageous episode of haemorrhoids and what seemed to follow was an urgency in my needing to pee. I assumed the two were linked and, given my fathers ,albeit, non cancerous issues with his prostate, were maybe just a part of getting old.

Fast forward almost 1 year (Sept21) and on and off urgency in peeing issues, I decided to call my GP and ask for some sort of tablet that would alleviate these issues. Thankfully she was as dilligent as she was intelligent and after prescribing me antibiotics to clear any potential infection, insisted to me, and, just to make sure, I come in for a routine blood test. This I did and within a few weeks I was reffered to Urology at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

What followed throughout the month of December, were the worst 4 weeks of my life.

Upon my initial consultation (DRE), the Urologist made it clear that things were not entirely okay and that I needed further tests, however, given my age (46) and non prior familial history of prostate or breast cancer, we should remain positive until the outcome of these tests.

A cystoscopy, an ultra sound and an MRI followed with the latter indicating a trans rectal biopsy was required.

I attended said bioscopy 5 days before Xmas, still, naively, believing I had prostatitis. To some, this isnt a painful procedure, to me? I found it horrific. Im probably most scarred by the consultant, quite nonchalantly,telling me, as he was doing it, that it was almost certainly cancer.

Xmas was obviously a bit crap and on the 7th of Jan I received a call to confirm that I had a T3a prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 3+4 and a PSA of 11.4. 

I was given 2 options, radiotherapy, which included 20 sessions alongside a 3 year hormone treatment. OR robotic assisted radical prostatectomy. The first of my appointments was with the oncologist, she was delightful and clearly explained that my prostate was like an island and that my cancer was on its west coast. it was not aggresive but it's coastal position presented a problem, whilst not directly advising me, she gave me the distinct impression that surgery was perhaps my better option. 3 years of hormone therapy would almost certainly deprive me of my ability to reverse park or understand the offside rule, wouldn't it? ;)

4th March and a visit to the Glasgow Queen Elizabeth and a meeting regarding potential RARP. I thought back to 1986 and walking out of a reserve match at Celtic Park, I met the only human being I had ever wanted to meet, Paul McStay (great Celtic player). I was gobsmaked. He was my hero. My only hero. Until now. Mr whateverhisname assured me, that given him and I were almost exactly the same age, that he would do his utmost to ensure the best outcome for me. He told me that I would probably have contininence issues after surgery that would almost certainly improve with time and also have potency issues, that again, would almost certainly improve with time.

I had my surgery on the 10th of May. I was told by the nurse who was with me in my operation that my surgeon, true to his word, spent at least another 90 minutes with me to spare 3 of the 5 on my right side nerve bundle, having spared my entire left. He had told them it was a "little sticky" on that right hand bundle, but that he needed to give it his best as he had promised me. My hero, my true hero.

9 days later I had the catheter removed at Gartnavel Hospital and, unexpectedly ,my continence, was pretty much perfect, I wore pads for the following 7 days expecting something to be wrong, but thankfully I have been 100% okay on that front. Regarding ED, It is now 6 weeks since surgery and I have not had anything close to a pre operative erection, as anticipated, but as each day passes, something stirs. Also and just as important, the dry orgasm thing? Whilst a little bizarre at first, Is not the worst thing in all of this. 

So, to summarise, I am almost 7 weeks on from the op.I have my pathology report set for the 8th July ,I'm hopeful,  I start back work next week feeling confident to do so. My scars are healing, I live with a woman that I have now, absolutely, realised I love  more than I could ever possibly convey and I am also ridiculously happy at having found the genorosity that some of you have within you to give to people like me and hopefully Martin too.

The Chris's, The Dave's, The Barry's, The Ulsterman's The Ivan's but maybe more than anyone? THE LynEyre.

Thank you all for making my journey that little bit easier.

Much love.

Jamie.

Edited by member 11 May 2023 at 02:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 20:58

Hi all,

Just thought I would post a wee update alongside my current thoughts.

So today, I had a call from one of the Urologists up here within the Glasgow health board to discuss the histology of my recent prostate removal. To the chase, my T3a cancer had NOT breached the walls of the gland, There were no positive margins, My Gleason remains unchanged at 3+4 and my PSA was LESS than 0.1 and so therefore undetectable. Im buzzing, thrilled even. 

Almost.

The 10 minutes that followed todays call left me with the grin of a cheshire cat. I was expecting the call at 4pm but it instead came unexpectedly at 10 am. The reason for this, according to the urologist was simple, It was as good a news as possible and upon reading it he wanted to convey the results as soon as possible. Jubbly. Trouble was I was in the middle of a 90 minute drive to the beautiful hills of Perthshire for work. 10 minutes after hearing this good news, and, whilst driving , as you do, my mind turned to reflection.

November now seems like a lifetime ago, My only fears of mortality were probably centered around my parents, I am extemely fortunate to have a mum and dad that are still, after 50 years of marriage, madly in love with each other and who have both entered their 70s in recent years. They are, and always will be, my king and queen on my throne of life. A world without them doesnt bare thinking about, but I never, for a second, thought that my own mortality would take centre stage first.

No one wants to hear those 3 words, you have cancer, obviously, I want to say I wish I had never heard these 3 words, but it would be untrue. Hear me out. I know it sounds almost perverse, but as much as I didnt want to hear those words, I am not entirely unhappy at having heard and absorbed them. What I have discovered, experienced and felt within such a short space of time is nothing short of overwhelming. If someone had said "Gleason score" just 8 months ago then I dare not think of the vacant look on my face wondering what sport he or she were reffering to!

I have learned so so much. Primarily, from the woman I am so very fortunate to call my partner in crime. I knew she was good, probably very good. Turns out shes incredible. Her facial expressions, her support, her knowing when to put her hand on the back of my neck at that exact right moment, her tears. I would have experienced none of this without cancers visit to me. I should say at this point, that I find it incredible at just how many women visit these pages and give their warmth and support for us men that they have never or are likely to meet. Lets be honest, How many of us men would register with ovarian or breast cancer community sites and try to offer best counsel? I suspect very few. Not the women on here. Hell no. They come on here to offer support because they initially tried to harvest as much information as they possibly could in order to support the men they love oh so much. 

What a fuc*ing magnificent attribute to have.

I want to also highlight to anyone reading this who is tempted to say, " prostate cancer? Oh thats one of the good ones to get!" I have heard it twice. Good grief. A camera up my penis, multiple fingers up my hoop lar, a gun fired up said hoop lar to grab cells, potential incontinence, no erections and bugger it, lets throw in dry orgasms and potential death. Bring it on!

In all seriousness, and before I log off to give myself a much needed break from this tremendous website. I want to say that I am not even remotely close to relieved tonight. There are men on here whose prognosis is the one we all feared and yet still they come, to offer their valued input to help those of us with a good prognosis. There are those who have come on here with their fears and have had their partners eventually come on to tell of us of their passing. And there are those that just inspire you to just be a better person. I urge anyone to look up a guy called Spurspark, Or maybe just Mark. Oh my goodnesss. Diagnosed at the same age as myself, his words were profound and beautiful.

May all your battles be few and your health be true.

Jamie.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 20:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 21:43

Bloody hell Jamie….what a post! Provoked a few tears down my face. Hits a nerve and reminds us all what we’ve been through and going through still. 

So happy you’ve had the best results possible and wish you all the very best for the future. Your parents must be over the moon and so proud. 

Take care and enjoy getting on with the rest of your life x

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 22:24

Bang on mate. Enjoy the moment and make it last.

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 03:21

So, Just thought id give an update exactly a year since my operation. As our Dave said some time ago now, Its probably helpful to some to read about progress or even the lack of it.

Well Im 48 now,(πŸ˜‰) and grey hairs have recently decided to be prominent on my head. I dont think its PCa related to be honest, although you never know. 

Anyway, Im good. My last blood test, a month or so ago, had me at undetectable again. Im told my next one is in July and to be honest? Meh!.. I do my best to not allow it to occupy my thoughts for any second longer than it has to. Whats the point? 

Its been quite a year. Those first few weeks werent anything close to as bad as I thought they might be. It obviously wasnt pleasant but I think by week 3 I was pretty much feeling that it was in my rear view mirror. The first real obstacle was getting past histology. I think that appointment was always going to be the most nervy one and thankfully mine was as good as I could have hoped for. Physically, I seem to be good too. I was fortunate enough to have full continence immediately after my cathater was removed and since then have had no issues except when I need to pee, I need to be quick. Thats really the only physical difference outwith the potency issue. To be honest? I actually quite enjoy a pee these days. Back in December I went for my first night out since my op that involved a fair bit of Guinness. I found myself needing to go sharper than any other time in my life. Holy moly, I can still remember the fear. My old pelvic floor wasnt half put to the test. I thought my a*sehole was going to sink into some sort of black (white headed) hole, I was clenching it that much. Any kind of DRE at that point would have been utterly futile. It was awful. Anyway I got to the mens room in time only to discover that the the only pew available was in the middle of two gents. Never ideal. I will never, ever forget,as long as my arse looks south, the sound as my flow hit that aluminium wall. Firstly, it was my sigh of relief that I heard, before realising the guys either side of me might have thought they were in some sort of metal air raid shelter. PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I could sense their wtf moment, I wanted to reassure them that I wasnt normal. That id had my prostate removed.  But instead I just laughed to myself. It was utterly f*cking brilliant. As i walked home later that night, albeit as drunk as a skunk. I cried as I thought back to that pee. I sort of realised that for the first time since my diagnosis, I laughed at it. F*ck you prostate cancer. F*ck you very much. The b*stard had stolen my erections, my sperm and far far too much of my life. I realised that drunken night that I wasnt going to allow it to steal my laugh. It hasnt and it wont.

Anyway, erections? Nothing. Pretty much nothing for about 8 or 9 months and then, not a great deal but definite improvement. I had 80% nerve sparing and im currently, probably around the same percentage in potency. He cant stand up on his own quite yet but I will continue to give him as much encouragement as I can.

So on to year 2 I go. I think im blessed. Im definitely blessed when it comes to having found this community. There are so so many good souls here that are so undeserving of this shitty disease. 

Wishing you all the warmest.

Much love.

Jamie.

Edited by member 11 May 2023 at 03:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 19:28
Glad to hear that you're doing well, Jamie.

All the best,

Yet another Chris

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 15:07
Great post Jamie and lovely to read a positive story. Keep on chugging. My OH is 13 weeks post op and no real issues apart from a wound that has been slow to heal. On the erection front he is taking taladafill 2.5mg which we hope will help with the nerves, and hope to get a pump soon. It’s little steps. Wishing you the best x
User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 20:27

It is more likely: less than 0.1 or <0.1 but admin staff don't know how important that little symbol is. So it is almost certainly the case that the lowest the result the lab can report is 0.1 and you are below that.

There is a remote chance you genuinely have a PSA of 0.1 I wouldn't say that in itself was worrying but the slightest rise would be worrying. I think I would ask the surgery to give you a print out before the meeting so you can take the most accurate information in to your meeting. If you don't see a <0.1 start asking questions.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 20:51

Only just seen this original thread Jamie, such a great post and really pleased everything has gone so well with your surgery and recovery.

Like Dave says best to double check but it’s likely to be <0.1 I always have to ask that when I ring the surgery for results.

Best of luck for your upcoming appointment πŸ‘

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 20:58

Jamie, my experience and that of some others on here some GP surgeries have little knowledge of the significance of PSA values post treatment.

As Dave said it is probably <0.1. Probably best to recheck or if you have access to your records check that, but if the < has not been inputted by the surgery clerk it won't help. My advice is to never accept a verbal results unless it is from someone you can trust, i.e. consultant or specialist nurse.

Added, we sound like a broken record.πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 05 Jul 2022 at 21:01  | Reason: Comment after seeing previous post

User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 03:48

Best of luck tomorrow Jamie. 

User
Posted 09 Jul 2022 at 00:09

Very good result. Yes cancer can give you a perspective on life.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Sep 2022 at 09:04

Hi Jamie, 

I started taking L-Arginine at a couple of months post op when my tadalafil prescription became a battle. I could manage penetration at 8 months but I'll never know if it was down to L-Arginine, natural healing or tadalafil, or all three that eventually did the trick.

Adrian, 

I find 100mg sildenafil doesn't do much for me, 10 or 20mg tadalafil works, but injections give by far the best results. Worth considering if you haven't already. 

Kev.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 13:02
Hi Both

Thank you for your replies. When I have a telephone call with my consultant I tell him my results from the SHIM form I fill in, which result in a score of ZERO (severe ED). He mentions nothing about trying any other drug (Tadalafil). I do have a pump that I use occasionally, but I find that quite uncomfortable.

To be honest I think my consultant has washed his hands with me as he has told me to see the prostate cancer specialist nurse from now on! I am a year post op now though. Even though I am still having issues with incontinence and recurrent water infections too.

I'll look into buying some L-Arginine from Amazon.

Thanks again

Adrian

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 23:57

Great news on your undetectable PSA Jamie. Hopefully nothing to worry about with haemoglobin count…maybe they’ll give you some iron supplements? 
Really sorry to hear about your border collie 😒 our dog is our life so can’t even imagine.

You definitely deserve a break, enjoy your Christmas and new year x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 10:43

A great and positive story. Though of course never having cancer would be better.

I hear talk of daily Tadalafil being useful for nerve recovery, and also vacuum pump (but this is more for HT issues). Obviously you shouldn't do anything against medical advice.

Hopefully everything will keep going well; it is early days yet. Keep us informed. The best posts on this site are ones where people say I was diagnosed 20 years ago and I'm still here. So if all goes well just post at least once a year it's good for moral.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 11:17
Great post Jamie and thanks for β€œ coming out πŸ˜† β€œ !

I’m sure you’ve read many of our stories and gleaned info from them. Stay positive and strong and don’t give up on erectile function. You CAN get it back even if it takes a long time. Yes a strong woman or partner is absolutely key in getting thru this. My thoughts are with you

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 13:43
Thanks Dave, Thanks Chris. It really was quite cathartic writing that last night, naturally the red wine helped a little! I think you're absolutely right Dave about keeping everyone up to date, I have read so many posts on here and felt deflated when there is'nt any up to date outcomes.

As I said in my post, Im super grateful to all of you guys for your positivity and informed inputs. Cancer has you looking into the abyss and detailed and correct information is pivotal in helping trying to make sense of it all.

Jamie

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 19:28
Glad to hear that you're doing well, Jamie.

All the best,

Yet another Chris

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 15:07
Great post Jamie and lovely to read a positive story. Keep on chugging. My OH is 13 weeks post op and no real issues apart from a wound that has been slow to heal. On the erection front he is taking taladafill 2.5mg which we hope will help with the nerves, and hope to get a pump soon. It’s little steps. Wishing you the best x
User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 20:09

So, In anticipation of my forthcoming appointment on Friday, I ,last week, had my bloods taken, 7 weeks post op, in order to determine my PSA. Naturally, I am a little apprehensive and have today contacted my surgery to be told my PSA is 0.1.  

I have, obviously, still to be told in the coming week whether there were positive or hopefully negative margins. 

At this point, should I be concerned about my 0.1 PSA? Or should i just wait on the complete pathology delivered later this week?

It's all too easy to see the negative isn't it?

Jamie.

Edited by member 05 Jul 2022 at 20:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 20:27

It is more likely: less than 0.1 or <0.1 but admin staff don't know how important that little symbol is. So it is almost certainly the case that the lowest the result the lab can report is 0.1 and you are below that.

There is a remote chance you genuinely have a PSA of 0.1 I wouldn't say that in itself was worrying but the slightest rise would be worrying. I think I would ask the surgery to give you a print out before the meeting so you can take the most accurate information in to your meeting. If you don't see a <0.1 start asking questions.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 20:51

Only just seen this original thread Jamie, such a great post and really pleased everything has gone so well with your surgery and recovery.

Like Dave says best to double check but it’s likely to be <0.1 I always have to ask that when I ring the surgery for results.

Best of luck for your upcoming appointment πŸ‘

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 20:58

Jamie, my experience and that of some others on here some GP surgeries have little knowledge of the significance of PSA values post treatment.

As Dave said it is probably <0.1. Probably best to recheck or if you have access to your records check that, but if the < has not been inputted by the surgery clerk it won't help. My advice is to never accept a verbal results unless it is from someone you can trust, i.e. consultant or specialist nurse.

Added, we sound like a broken record.πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 05 Jul 2022 at 21:01  | Reason: Comment after seeing previous post

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 08:45

Dave, Elaine, Chris, Thank you so much for your reassuring replies. I think because I was hoping to hear zero point zero something and didnt, I got myself a little concerned. I think if it had been zero point one....one then that might have been an acurate measurement but as you guys say, that little symbol is absolutely relevent!

Thanks again folks, hugely grateful.

Jamie.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 03:48

Best of luck tomorrow Jamie. 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 20:58

Hi all,

Just thought I would post a wee update alongside my current thoughts.

So today, I had a call from one of the Urologists up here within the Glasgow health board to discuss the histology of my recent prostate removal. To the chase, my T3a cancer had NOT breached the walls of the gland, There were no positive margins, My Gleason remains unchanged at 3+4 and my PSA was LESS than 0.1 and so therefore undetectable. Im buzzing, thrilled even. 

Almost.

The 10 minutes that followed todays call left me with the grin of a cheshire cat. I was expecting the call at 4pm but it instead came unexpectedly at 10 am. The reason for this, according to the urologist was simple, It was as good a news as possible and upon reading it he wanted to convey the results as soon as possible. Jubbly. Trouble was I was in the middle of a 90 minute drive to the beautiful hills of Perthshire for work. 10 minutes after hearing this good news, and, whilst driving , as you do, my mind turned to reflection.

November now seems like a lifetime ago, My only fears of mortality were probably centered around my parents, I am extemely fortunate to have a mum and dad that are still, after 50 years of marriage, madly in love with each other and who have both entered their 70s in recent years. They are, and always will be, my king and queen on my throne of life. A world without them doesnt bare thinking about, but I never, for a second, thought that my own mortality would take centre stage first.

No one wants to hear those 3 words, you have cancer, obviously, I want to say I wish I had never heard these 3 words, but it would be untrue. Hear me out. I know it sounds almost perverse, but as much as I didnt want to hear those words, I am not entirely unhappy at having heard and absorbed them. What I have discovered, experienced and felt within such a short space of time is nothing short of overwhelming. If someone had said "Gleason score" just 8 months ago then I dare not think of the vacant look on my face wondering what sport he or she were reffering to!

I have learned so so much. Primarily, from the woman I am so very fortunate to call my partner in crime. I knew she was good, probably very good. Turns out shes incredible. Her facial expressions, her support, her knowing when to put her hand on the back of my neck at that exact right moment, her tears. I would have experienced none of this without cancers visit to me. I should say at this point, that I find it incredible at just how many women visit these pages and give their warmth and support for us men that they have never or are likely to meet. Lets be honest, How many of us men would register with ovarian or breast cancer community sites and try to offer best counsel? I suspect very few. Not the women on here. Hell no. They come on here to offer support because they initially tried to harvest as much information as they possibly could in order to support the men they love oh so much. 

What a fuc*ing magnificent attribute to have.

I want to also highlight to anyone reading this who is tempted to say, " prostate cancer? Oh thats one of the good ones to get!" I have heard it twice. Good grief. A camera up my penis, multiple fingers up my hoop lar, a gun fired up said hoop lar to grab cells, potential incontinence, no erections and bugger it, lets throw in dry orgasms and potential death. Bring it on!

In all seriousness, and before I log off to give myself a much needed break from this tremendous website. I want to say that I am not even remotely close to relieved tonight. There are men on here whose prognosis is the one we all feared and yet still they come, to offer their valued input to help those of us with a good prognosis. There are those who have come on here with their fears and have had their partners eventually come on to tell of us of their passing. And there are those that just inspire you to just be a better person. I urge anyone to look up a guy called Spurspark, Or maybe just Mark. Oh my goodnesss. Diagnosed at the same age as myself, his words were profound and beautiful.

May all your battles be few and your health be true.

Jamie.

Edited by member 21 Feb 2024 at 20:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 21:43

Bloody hell Jamie….what a post! Provoked a few tears down my face. Hits a nerve and reminds us all what we’ve been through and going through still. 

So happy you’ve had the best results possible and wish you all the very best for the future. Your parents must be over the moon and so proud. 

Take care and enjoy getting on with the rest of your life x

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 22:24

Bang on mate. Enjoy the moment and make it last.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2022 at 00:09

Very good result. Yes cancer can give you a perspective on life.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Aug 2022 at 17:24

So, Just another wee update, about 2 weeks ago, I purchased some L-Arginine, L-Citrulline supplements and have been taking them alongside some Bio-Pycnogenol supplements having researched that they might, just might help me with my road away from ED. 

Now, It might not be helping me at all but yesterday and today I have had significant improvement with blood flow to my Johnson.

I am almost 13 weeks since surgery.

Has anyone else on here felt any sort of benefit from using these supplements? 

Jamie.

Edited by member 06 Aug 2022 at 17:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Sep 2022 at 20:55

Hi Jamie

Could you please tell me where you have bought these supplements from. I am now 12 months post op and still have severe ED even with 100mg Sildenafil. I’d love to try these, and so would my wife ;).

User
Posted 02 Sep 2022 at 09:04

Hi Jamie, 

I started taking L-Arginine at a couple of months post op when my tadalafil prescription became a battle. I could manage penetration at 8 months but I'll never know if it was down to L-Arginine, natural healing or tadalafil, or all three that eventually did the trick.

Adrian, 

I find 100mg sildenafil doesn't do much for me, 10 or 20mg tadalafil works, but injections give by far the best results. Worth considering if you haven't already. 

Kev.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2022 at 14:41

Hi Adrian,

I puchased both of them from Amazon, they a little bit pricey but im naturally keen to get back as close to pre op as soon as possible. Whether it will actually be of any benefit to me? Who knows. I am taking them along with a nightly dose of Tadalafil and also use the Somaerect Response 2. I had 80% of my neves spared and the first 2 months or so there was absolutely nothing going on with him, as expected. However, now almost 4 months later, I am getting a potency thats somewhere between semi and erect. Mainly with stimulation. He still cant rise to attention and stay there, but im hoping in the fullness of time that might happen.

As Kev rightly points out, My progress, like his, may have been a combination of all of these things or perhaps because of none of these things and nature wins through. Wishing you and your wife all the hope and best.

Actually those four words that you used Kev," eventually did the trick" is giving me and hopefully Adrian too, the confidence that things will get better. 

Appreciate that mate.  

Jamie.

Edited by member 02 Sep 2022 at 15:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 13:02
Hi Both

Thank you for your replies. When I have a telephone call with my consultant I tell him my results from the SHIM form I fill in, which result in a score of ZERO (severe ED). He mentions nothing about trying any other drug (Tadalafil). I do have a pump that I use occasionally, but I find that quite uncomfortable.

To be honest I think my consultant has washed his hands with me as he has told me to see the prostate cancer specialist nurse from now on! I am a year post op now though. Even though I am still having issues with incontinence and recurrent water infections too.

I'll look into buying some L-Arginine from Amazon.

Thanks again

Adrian

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 19:53
No, don't just accept this Adrian. Ask your specialist nurse or surgeon who should be responsible for referring you to the ED specialist service - them or your GP? Whoever is responsible, tell them you want a referral. If there is no ED clinic in your area, it is your GP's responsibility to give you help with this - trying different tablets, trying the injections, etc.

You should also ask for a referral to the incontinence service and / or a specialist physiotherapist. That is probably your GP's responsibility ... what on earth is your GP doing???

It is very common for the surgeon to pass you on to the nurse specialist or back to the GP one or 2 years post-op.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 18:32

Hey Adrian,

Im completely with Lyn here, You kinda need to amplify your frustration at those concerned before any supplementary hope from Amazon and L-Arginine.

Wishing you well brother.

Jamie.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2022 at 13:03

Thanks for your advice guys,

I've got a telephone appointment with the specialist prostate cancer nurse later this month, I'll have a chat with him and see how that goes. Failing that I'll give my GP a ring.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 21:16

Just an update from myself, Upcoming Urololgy appointment has been postponed, hey ho. However bloods taken just 2 weeks ago show undetectable PSA. Happy days.My haemoglobin is low and warrants further investigation. Hopefully nothing sinister, Prostate cancer, loss of potency and all whilst losing my 16 year old Border Collie in 2022 surely means the law of averages are in my favour? 

Im only 47 FFS.

Hope we are all well.

Jamie.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2022 at 23:57

Great news on your undetectable PSA Jamie. Hopefully nothing to worry about with haemoglobin count…maybe they’ll give you some iron supplements? 
Really sorry to hear about your border collie 😒 our dog is our life so can’t even imagine.

You definitely deserve a break, enjoy your Christmas and new year x

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 03:21

So, Just thought id give an update exactly a year since my operation. As our Dave said some time ago now, Its probably helpful to some to read about progress or even the lack of it.

Well Im 48 now,(πŸ˜‰) and grey hairs have recently decided to be prominent on my head. I dont think its PCa related to be honest, although you never know. 

Anyway, Im good. My last blood test, a month or so ago, had me at undetectable again. Im told my next one is in July and to be honest? Meh!.. I do my best to not allow it to occupy my thoughts for any second longer than it has to. Whats the point? 

Its been quite a year. Those first few weeks werent anything close to as bad as I thought they might be. It obviously wasnt pleasant but I think by week 3 I was pretty much feeling that it was in my rear view mirror. The first real obstacle was getting past histology. I think that appointment was always going to be the most nervy one and thankfully mine was as good as I could have hoped for. Physically, I seem to be good too. I was fortunate enough to have full continence immediately after my cathater was removed and since then have had no issues except when I need to pee, I need to be quick. Thats really the only physical difference outwith the potency issue. To be honest? I actually quite enjoy a pee these days. Back in December I went for my first night out since my op that involved a fair bit of Guinness. I found myself needing to go sharper than any other time in my life. Holy moly, I can still remember the fear. My old pelvic floor wasnt half put to the test. I thought my a*sehole was going to sink into some sort of black (white headed) hole, I was clenching it that much. Any kind of DRE at that point would have been utterly futile. It was awful. Anyway I got to the mens room in time only to discover that the the only pew available was in the middle of two gents. Never ideal. I will never, ever forget,as long as my arse looks south, the sound as my flow hit that aluminium wall. Firstly, it was my sigh of relief that I heard, before realising the guys either side of me might have thought they were in some sort of metal air raid shelter. PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I could sense their wtf moment, I wanted to reassure them that I wasnt normal. That id had my prostate removed.  But instead I just laughed to myself. It was utterly f*cking brilliant. As i walked home later that night, albeit as drunk as a skunk. I cried as I thought back to that pee. I sort of realised that for the first time since my diagnosis, I laughed at it. F*ck you prostate cancer. F*ck you very much. The b*stard had stolen my erections, my sperm and far far too much of my life. I realised that drunken night that I wasnt going to allow it to steal my laugh. It hasnt and it wont.

Anyway, erections? Nothing. Pretty much nothing for about 8 or 9 months and then, not a great deal but definite improvement. I had 80% nerve sparing and im currently, probably around the same percentage in potency. He cant stand up on his own quite yet but I will continue to give him as much encouragement as I can.

So on to year 2 I go. I think im blessed. Im definitely blessed when it comes to having found this community. There are so so many good souls here that are so undeserving of this shitty disease. 

Wishing you all the warmest.

Much love.

Jamie.

Edited by member 11 May 2023 at 03:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 09:44

Great update Jamie!
Have had a few drunken evenings myself. At the one year point for me it did almost seem like a dream… mostly back to normal and fully back into ‘life’ and all it throws.

I’m 23 and a half months on now and facing next stage of treatment as the undetectable run became 0.04, 0.08, 0.1 and 0.2. So its a PSMA PET scan tomorrow and follow up with ONC on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Who knows - might start treatment on the second anniversary. That would be a bit weird.

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 15:47
Good news. Being patient and persevering are two of the greatest attributes when diagnosed with PCa.
Barry
User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 19:09

Hey Chippers,  Good to hear from you sir. I did read on some other thread about your sudden barrier, didnt comment because it wasnt your thread but in truth? My shoulders dropped and it was obviously something I really didnt want to read. Your story also gave me the jolt that any confidence in the future always has to be tempered. 

I wish you all the very best for tomorrow and the follow up on Wed my man.

Im even cheering Spurs for you πŸ˜‰

Jamie.

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Great update Jamie!
Have had a few drunken evenings myself. At the one year point for me it did almost seem like a dream… mostly back to normal and fully back into ‘life’ and all it throws.

I’m 23 and a half months on now and facing next stage of treatment as the undetectable run became 0.04, 0.08, 0.1 and 0.2. So its a PSMA PET scan tomorrow and follow up with ONC on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Who knows - might start treatment on the second anniversary. That would be a bit weird.

Edited by member 11 May 2023 at 19:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 19:13

Big thanks Barry, You're one of the guys on here that as soon as I scroll and see that image, I stop and take note. Your input is always immeasurable.

Grateful doesnt go far enough.

Jamie.

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Good news. Being patient and persevering are two of the greatest attributes when diagnosed with PCa.

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 19:17

Great post, thanks Jamie.

Dave

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 19:44

Thanks Dave, As you know, you are one of the stalwarts of this site that has almost always had me p*ssing myself laughing at your candour and dry humour. Properly hilarious.

Wishing you well comrade.

Jamie