I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Space OAR Hydrogel

User
Posted 23 Jun 2022 at 18:43

Hi, I have localised prostate cancer and I am about to start Hormone Therapy followed by Radiotherapy.

Although localised, I am told that the tumor is nearing breaching the capsule which is worrying. I asked to be referred for Cyberknife but Royal Marsden had reached the end of trials and St Bart's declined the referral. Seems like the private route is available if you can afford it.

My consultant has now suggested Space OAR Hydrogen treatment to minimise damage to the rectum BUT said that he did not think that NHS are provide this treatment,  and the cost to go private would be circa £6000; again too expensive for me.

I have since found out that the NHS have many hospitals in the UK who do provide Space OAR treatment. Can anyone help with NHS hospitals who offer the treatment. I live near Portsmouth, but could travel for the treatment.

User
Posted 23 Jun 2022 at 21:58
St Bart's declined the referral. Seems like the private route is available if you can afford it.

I suspect they declined it because your cancer is near the edge - cyberknife is used where there are only small areas of cancer in the prostate and it sounds like yours is quite extensive. Any private provider who offered a treatment knowing it wasn't suitable would lose their licence to practice once it became known.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 06:20

Hi, when OH saw the onco at the Royal Derby beginning April this year he told us that 9 hospitals offer it and they were one at that time, not sure they still do.

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 20:14

Royal Surrey