I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise after 18 months

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 07:34

I had brachytherapy in Jan 21 and my PSA, which was 9 prior to the procedure, went to 4.62 in Apr 21, 3.69 in Jul 21 and 2.07 in Jan 22. I didn't think these drops were good enough but my consultant was satisfied that all was progressing well. Problem is that this month (Jul 22) my PSA has risen to 2.96 and it's another two weeks before I'll be seeing the consultant to have any conversations about this. I hope it's the dreaded PSA bounce as 18 months after BT seems early for a recurrence of the cancer. My concern is that everything I've read seems to indicate PSA levels a lot lower than mine, including relatively small percentage rises for bounce, whereas mine seem quite big numbers.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 09:29

One of the issues with having radiotherapy without hormone therapy is that you can see these alarming bounces. No one really understands them, but some theoretical research involving mathematical modeling suggests they are your immune system interacting with the dying cancer cells. Bounces seem to signify better outcomes. You are well within the window for bounces, but of course it takes 6 or more months to see the curve turn down again which can be nerve racking.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 10:25

Thanks Andy. Yeh I've been reading everything I can about the bounce and to be honest was warned about it before my procedure so thought I'd be prepared, but evidently I'm not and will take time to get my head around it.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 10:40

Hiya Geoff, A few words of comfort perhaps from me.  I underwent L.D.R. Brachytherapy in April 2010 at which time my PSA reading was at 5.4.  It took 2 years and 7 months to reach my Nadir 1.0. in November 2012 where it remained at the all time low for just 4 months. The PSA rise slowly continued for the next 10 years today standing at 3.7.

My Consultant has closely monitored this slow rise and states " I expected your PSA to gradually rise over the years and will instruct for a MRI scan if and when >5." He adds that I still possess a Prostate Gland which will always produce PSA and also adds that he has never known an individual to need further treatment after reaching the 10 years point after L.D.R.(I hope that he is right.)

I am now 78 years old,play Golf 3 times every week and ride my mountain bike every couple of days.

Any further information that I could help with will be my pleasure.

Michael Chigwell2010.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 10:58

Thanks Mike. Comforting words indeed!