I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Apalutamide along with hormone treatment

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 12:46

Hi all. I have been diagnosed with metatastic prostate cancer. Gleason score of 4+3. Pet scan identified L2 bone disease, also left pelvic side wall node. My PSA was 74 and has now reduced to 2.11 having been on hormone therapy since the end of March and having commenced taking Apalutamide in the middle May. Had a couple of very low days in terms of mood and get tearful for no apparent reason. I'm trying to remain optimistic and am doing the things I love, riding my Harley and gigging and the like. I know I'm early days into treatment and I'm generally positive but wondering if the moods will level out or is it worth while seeing GP? Many thanks.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 12:46

Hi all. I have been diagnosed with metatastic prostate cancer. Gleason score of 4+3. Pet scan identified L2 bone disease, also left pelvic side wall node. My PSA was 74 and has now reduced to 2.11 having been on hormone therapy since the end of March and having commenced taking Apalutamide in the middle May. Had a couple of very low days in terms of mood and get tearful for no apparent reason. I'm trying to remain optimistic and am doing the things I love, riding my Harley and gigging and the like. I know I'm early days into treatment and I'm generally positive but wondering if the moods will level out or is it worth while seeing GP? Many thanks.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 18:29
I was on HT (ZOLADEX) for 3 yrs and had most of the effects, low mood/depression/tearful 3rd included. It helped that I was aware that the HT was the cause but I did see GP on two occasions and was prescribed anti depressants and I have to say they made a big difference.

Peter

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 18:52

Thanks Peter. I feel reassured. My Oncologist described as akin to going through a grieving process. Which sort of make sense as its been acknowledged that while I can be treated I can't be cured. Starting to get my head around things and am moving forward. 

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 18:19
Yes Cole oncologist knows what he's talking about doesn't he. I was never prone to depression but it's a different game when on this treatment for many people, some affected more than others.

I should point out that my treatment was 'curative' via locally advanced diagnosis in 2015.

Peter

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 20:00

So pleased you were curative. I'm being optimistic and intend being around for many years to come and will take whatever treatment is recommended. I had no symptoms so it was all a bit of a shock. In the fortunate position that I took early retirement so don't have to worry about the added stress of work. My wife has been an incredible support as have friends so I feel somewhat blessed. Good luck for the future and long may you continue to remain well.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 12:57

Hi Phil, nothing quite prepares for the emotional impact. No matter how strong we think we are it can still bite you in the backside. Can totally relate to what you're going through. Good luck in your fight with this thing!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 18:29
I was on HT (ZOLADEX) for 3 yrs and had most of the effects, low mood/depression/tearful 3rd included. It helped that I was aware that the HT was the cause but I did see GP on two occasions and was prescribed anti depressants and I have to say they made a big difference.

Peter

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 18:52

Thanks Peter. I feel reassured. My Oncologist described as akin to going through a grieving process. Which sort of make sense as its been acknowledged that while I can be treated I can't be cured. Starting to get my head around things and am moving forward. 

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 18:19
Yes Cole oncologist knows what he's talking about doesn't he. I was never prone to depression but it's a different game when on this treatment for many people, some affected more than others.

I should point out that my treatment was 'curative' via locally advanced diagnosis in 2015.

Peter

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 20:00

So pleased you were curative. I'm being optimistic and intend being around for many years to come and will take whatever treatment is recommended. I had no symptoms so it was all a bit of a shock. In the fortunate position that I took early retirement so don't have to worry about the added stress of work. My wife has been an incredible support as have friends so I feel somewhat blessed. Good luck for the future and long may you continue to remain well.

User
Posted 29 Jul 2022 at 19:42

Hi Cole 

I have also started the journey in the last few months and what a roller coaster of a ride,I'm 53 and am hoping to finish on ill health myself if work permits it in the coming weeks,sometimes I can scale tall buildings other days I just can't be bothered and emotionally WOW don't go there.

One of the nurses told me when I was having one of my hormone injections and I got upset"that it's hard to take in when your immortality is questioned" and she's dam right .

Be strong and fight the fight 💪 

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 12:57

Hi Phil, nothing quite prepares for the emotional impact. No matter how strong we think we are it can still bite you in the backside. Can totally relate to what you're going through. Good luck in your fight with this thing!

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 21:21

Hi Cole 

Keep updating your progress and I'll do the same,been for a meal tonight with my wife and parents our 28th wedding anniversary,god she was upset when we got home!!!we can take whatever its got to throw at us 👌 

User
Posted 31 Jul 2022 at 11:11

Really tough for our other halves! I have joined a local support group and we go on walks and it's a nice way to share experiences in a low key manner. Having said that it's like having two menapausal women in our house at the moment! You ever need a chat just send me a message. Take care.