Notification

Error

Catheter removal - best outcome I could wish for

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 12:17

49 - Gleason 7
robotic prostectomy 9 days ago

wanted to share my experience post catheter removal

First of all you just can’t tell what you will be like post surgery for continence and once that delightful tube is removed! So like most you do some reading, prepare for a scenario you are most comfortable with and plan. 
I have several pairs of black joggers, max pads and two pairs of underpants with pads built in for when things improved. 
I was ready!

everyone said a catheter removal wasn’t painful. Lies! It felt weird and hurt. Not sure if that balloon was fully deflated but when it came out it looked the size of a pea and certainly bigger than the tube! Ouch. 

I’m I was then told I needed to pass urine 3 times and of all well could then go home. Advice was a glass of water per hour! Sod that. I was planning on a quick exit before someone had the bright idea to put the catheter back in. This was not going to happen!

so necked a coffee and about 3 glasses and felt my bladder was full. So here goes. I will stand up, go to bathroom and pee in the cardboard bottle they left. Boom. Easy! Surely this was a trick and I was missing something. This felt like old times. Called the nurse, more out than was left in. Winning for now. 

more water… here comes wee number 2… this time I’ll try hold more in the bladder to see how this works now. After all, this is a new experience. Boom again got up, big wee and no dribbled or messing. More out than in and even complemented on the colour and clarity this time!

then told I don’t need a 3rd one and I can go home. I was expecting more drama, a level of incontinence I would work on for weeks and got nothing of the sort. 

I think the pelvic floor for 3 weeks prior to surgery helped no end. I’m young (sort of) but stats don’t always show you the best view for your circumstances or age, fitness etc. 

I came home in my special pants and not a dribble, despite speed bumps galore. My wife and I decided let’s stress test this more and we walked to the pub. All fine. Then a few ciders to really stress test it as a celebration… fine. 

so, I’m a lucky one. The ones you don’t read about often but this is my story. From removal I was dry instantly and 100%. Even last night was as normal. All my planning and purchases were a waste of time but I had to plan as you just don’t know!

my advice to you all is do the pre work. Strengthen that pelvic floor before the op as I think this helps and continue afterwards. 
you can be in the favourable groups and those with the best outcomes. It’s possible and don’t give up hope. 
many more hurdles to come I know but phase 2 as I call it was a dream. 
good luck

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 12:17

49 - Gleason 7
robotic prostectomy 9 days ago

wanted to share my experience post catheter removal

First of all you just can’t tell what you will be like post surgery for continence and once that delightful tube is removed! So like most you do some reading, prepare for a scenario you are most comfortable with and plan. 
I have several pairs of black joggers, max pads and two pairs of underpants with pads built in for when things improved. 
I was ready!

everyone said a catheter removal wasn’t painful. Lies! It felt weird and hurt. Not sure if that balloon was fully deflated but when it came out it looked the size of a pea and certainly bigger than the tube! Ouch. 

I’m I was then told I needed to pass urine 3 times and of all well could then go home. Advice was a glass of water per hour! Sod that. I was planning on a quick exit before someone had the bright idea to put the catheter back in. This was not going to happen!

so necked a coffee and about 3 glasses and felt my bladder was full. So here goes. I will stand up, go to bathroom and pee in the cardboard bottle they left. Boom. Easy! Surely this was a trick and I was missing something. This felt like old times. Called the nurse, more out than was left in. Winning for now. 

more water… here comes wee number 2… this time I’ll try hold more in the bladder to see how this works now. After all, this is a new experience. Boom again got up, big wee and no dribbled or messing. More out than in and even complemented on the colour and clarity this time!

then told I don’t need a 3rd one and I can go home. I was expecting more drama, a level of incontinence I would work on for weeks and got nothing of the sort. 

I think the pelvic floor for 3 weeks prior to surgery helped no end. I’m young (sort of) but stats don’t always show you the best view for your circumstances or age, fitness etc. 

I came home in my special pants and not a dribble, despite speed bumps galore. My wife and I decided let’s stress test this more and we walked to the pub. All fine. Then a few ciders to really stress test it as a celebration… fine. 

so, I’m a lucky one. The ones you don’t read about often but this is my story. From removal I was dry instantly and 100%. Even last night was as normal. All my planning and purchases were a waste of time but I had to plan as you just don’t know!

my advice to you all is do the pre work. Strengthen that pelvic floor before the op as I think this helps and continue afterwards. 
you can be in the favourable groups and those with the best outcomes. It’s possible and don’t give up hope. 
many more hurdles to come I know but phase 2 as I call it was a dream. 
good luck

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 21:30

Yes I guess the reality is that ED always seems the more difficult one to recover. As I said my OH is older so we would expect things to take longer if he ever gets anything back. He had 6 months HT also, and because of heart palps i don’t want him having any tablets. He does use the pump occasionally and we are seeing the consultant in the next couple of weeks about penile injections. Although it’s difficult sometimes I’m so grateful for him being here and the rest of his recovery I try not to over worry.

Lots of men on here who have a lot of success with ED after surgery even if it is with a bit of help, so lots to be optimistic about 👍 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 18:10

This is a great story, thank you for sharing.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 18:51

Iron Man, excellent result, always good to see outcomes like yours , I counted myself lucky to be 99 percent dry 4 days after catheter removal.

Due to other issues I have had  a catheter on around twelve occasions and never had any pain on removal. The balloon was probably fully deflated, the pea sized appearance is when the balloon cuffs on the way out.

Hope the rest your recovery continues in the same way as your continence. Remember you have had major surgery don't do too much.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 30 Jul 2022 at 20:46  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 20:43

Great news Iron man 👍

My husband was so much better than we ever expected and he’s quite a bit older than you. We too went out the first night, although only next door to the hotel we were staying. Completely dry all night and good 2 hour train journey home the next day. If he has too much to drink then he can leak a little. He used pads for a couple of months after op but mainly a confidence thing. We count ourselves very lucky too. Keep taking it easy and hope you’re recovery continues as well x

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 21:00

I’m still dry and don’t expect to go backwards now but also expected other recovery to be miracle speed. What I’m saying is was now expecting full erections and all this was behind me and a bad dream. 

sadly that’s not the case but still grateful for the continence. Also impatient and need to temper my enthusiasm and a dose of reality on the ED front. 

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 21:30

Yes I guess the reality is that ED always seems the more difficult one to recover. As I said my OH is older so we would expect things to take longer if he ever gets anything back. He had 6 months HT also, and because of heart palps i don’t want him having any tablets. He does use the pump occasionally and we are seeing the consultant in the next couple of weeks about penile injections. Although it’s difficult sometimes I’m so grateful for him being here and the rest of his recovery I try not to over worry.

Lots of men on here who have a lot of success with ED after surgery even if it is with a bit of help, so lots to be optimistic about 👍 

User
Posted 02 Aug 2022 at 17:47
Great news Iron Man. Keep doing those exercises. My OH has had good results too was 98% continent after removal and wore a pad for confidence really. He knew when his muscles were tired (after a round of golf). Onwards and upwards x