I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic Surgery skill rises earlier

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 17:53

The number of operations a surgeon has done is often quoted as one measure of likely trustworthiness.  I just read of a report covering over 8000 operations that found:

'The 5-year BCR-free survival rates for patients treated by surgeons with prior experience in performing 10, 250, and 1000 RARP procedures were 82.0%, 82.7%, and 84.1% respectively.

Compared with surgeons performing open and laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, those performing RARP achieve adequate cancer control in the early phase of their careers.'

PracticeUpdate: http://prac.co/l/2ybqwzcq

No mention of incontinence, ED or other complications.

Edited by member 31 Jul 2022 at 11:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 19:55

Incontinence and ED are never mentioned. I think they should be included in the statistics! Especially ED! 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2022 at 15:43

Also 5-year survival rates. I know it takes a long time to get the data, but how about 10, 15 or 25 year survival rates?

Much more interesting to this 52-year-old. I was told my cancer would probably kill me in about 10 years if left alone, so 5 years isn't much of a win, really. (Sorry if I'm being greedy 😄)

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 01 Aug 2022 at 15:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Also 5-year survival rates. I know it takes a long time to get the data, but how about 10, 15 or 25 year survival rates?

Much more interesting to this 52-year-old. I was told my cancer would probably kill me in about 10 years if left alone, so 5 years isn't much of a win, really. (Sorry if I'm being greedy 😄)

I was told 15yrs if left alone. I am coming up to 10weeks since my surgery, no erection, I sometimes wonder whether best to have left it alone and taken my chances, as I was told it was slow growing. Too late now, I guess!

User
Posted 01 Aug 2022 at 18:41

Gee Baba , I got similar advice at 62,  "if we.do nothing you will still be here in 10 - 15 years". I am now heading for my fourth go at sorting it, but still here still moaning. If we all said no to treatment new methods would not be developed or improved. We are all pioneers. 

In the research I am sure the surgeons who had only done 10 RARP had lots of experience with laparoscopic surgery and were converting to Robotic surgery.

Thanks Chris