I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

No testosterone and osteoporosis brittle bones

User
Posted 04 Aug 2022 at 11:31

Hi,I have been referred for a dexa scan because of back pain in middle and top of back probably because of no testosterone gp agreed, I have always done weight training to try and keep my bones strong ,I take 1000iu of d3 daily does anyone think that adding k2 with my d3 would help till I have my scan, my psa has  risen from 0.05 to 0.09,any help  please. 

User
Posted 04 Aug 2022 at 13:21

Taking Calcium and K2 might help, but check with your GP that this is OK for you. Not everyone can take calcium, and K2 interferes with some other drugs.

If you have significant osteoporosis and you're not on bisphosphonates or Denosumab, you might talk to your clinicians about these. They stop your body from operating the calcium replacement cycle which your bones normally do, and there are down sides too.

You might also discuss any measures which might increase your estrogens, since it's actually a shortage of estrogen (which is made from Testosterone in men) which causes bone issues. It's not done in this country as far as I know, but in the US, estradiol patches are sometimes used for this. (We have the PATCH trial here where higher doses of Estradiol are used as the hormone therapy, but that's not the same principle.) Increasing estrogens will increase chances of breast gland growth, but providing you're not using them as your hormone therapy, you should be able to take Tamoxifen to prevent that, and Tamoxifen doesn't prevent estrogens acting on bones.