I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cycling and overdoing it

User
Posted 06 Aug 2022 at 16:51

I’m 2years post RP surgery and am getting well back into cycling. Have cutout saddle etc. so far so good until last weekend when I spent 2.5 hrs continuously on bike. For a week now I have had groin (like a well aimed kick) and lower back pain. Maybe totally unrelated but wondered if anyone has had a similar experienc.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 09:30

I expect it's an unrelated over-use strain/injury. Have a rest then build up again gradually.

Did you spend all that 2.5 hours in the sitting position? It's a good idea to get out of the saddle every once in a while (hilly or not) to shift position. Do you vary positions on the bike? On a long ride I would shift from hoods to drops to tops many times (I also have aero bars, which gives another position).

I suppose it could also be a poor saddle fit/bike fit? Have you measured your sit bones? 

I'm also 2 years post-surgery. I do quite a high volume (~700-800 miles/month) but only really once a week do >50 miles, 3 hours. Mostly 20s, 30s and off-road gravel rides, which are shorter but harder work.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 11:09
If it was surgery-related, you would have noticed it before now.
User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 11:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Maybe totally unrelated but wondered if anyone has had a similar experienc.

Definitely unrelated.

I was back on the saddle within days after having my catheter removed post-surgery. Paranoia had me putting every twinge down to riding too soon. It's been 8 weeks now and it's like it never happened.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 12:21

Folks thanks for the replies and clear consensus. Feeling a bit better already - I was never seriously concerned about the surgery. I use a road bike and have been working up to this  sort of ride duration. Just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 08:26

Maybe totally unrelated but wondered if anyone has had a similar experienc.

Definitely unrelated.

I was back on the saddle within days after having my catheter removed post-surgery. Paranoia had me putting every twinge down to riding too soon. It's been 8 weeks now and it's like it never happened.

I was advised no cycling for 6 weeks. Others have been told longer. But the important things is to do what YOUR surgeon says 😀

_____

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 04:12

So good that you decided to get back to cycling! I understand that it's hard to live without a bike. I ride it and it is a great thing in my life to do! You just need to be careful and take small breaks along the way. 

Edited by member 23 Sep 2022 at 07:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 15:53

As per doctor's advice, I begin cycling stamina build-up 6 weeks post RARP of 13 oct 2022. I had done Santiago de Compostela 2x, a triangle ride of France to Mont Saint-Michel, the Jura, Paris and back home. I plan to bike to Rome then Puglia (the heel of Italy) on the Via Francigena starting from Antwerp, Belgium come April or May 2023 and back. Good or bad idea?

User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 16:02
Depends on your surgeon's advice, whether or not you have had nerve sparing prostatectomy and how important regaining erectile function is to you. By next Spring you should be fine for a long ride but could get yourself a prostate friendly saddle if you feel like it
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Oct 2022 at 12:44

As Lyn says, the key is to take your surgeon's advice. If that's what you're doing, great.

My suggestion would be to start gently and build up quite slowly at first. My surgeon advised that my perineum would let me know if I was doing too much. I started with 20 minutes at 6 weeks and within a month had built up to 30 miles. Celebrated the anniversary of surgery with a 100 mile ride (which is about as long as I tend to do).

I had partial nerve sparing on one side and full on the other. I use a saddle with a large perineal cutout. No erectile issues.

Edited by member 30 Oct 2022 at 12:45  | Reason: Not specified

_____

User
Posted 30 Oct 2022 at 16:08

I was back on the saddle within days after having my catheter removed post-surgery.

Good heavens! Was that really with the approval of your surgeon? The usual advice is to wait around two months after surgery before cycling.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Oct 2022 at 17:18
I take it that list of rides done is from before surgery, not since 13th October. Still impressive though.

Like others I think you are best not overdoing things until your body is fully over the surgery. But work up slowly and you will have a fair idea of how much you can take on come March. It might be best to tackle your planned expedition in slightly shorter legs than you would have done previously, if it all works out I am sure you will have many further future trips to look forward to.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2022 at 18:13

I'm 3 years after prostatectomy, which left me with 50% of the nerves. Before surgery I'd do up to 45 miles on mountain bike (Hertfordshire) twice a week which i thought was reasonably active at 60 and cycle 10 miles  round trip to station and back each day.

I had a lot of perineal discomfort after surgery. I did keep walking got up to  3-5 miles a day 3-4 months after surgery and have kept that up. Tried cycling after 9 months and it was OK but would usually be uncomfortable afterwards, not too bad but some pain that would move around,  balls, perineum, penis. Surgeon did say it was scar tissue and it was OK to challenge myself, but I  stopped after I slipped whilst walking which left me sore for a couple of weeks. Next summer tried again same thing, it was some discomfort but I overdid it carrying stuff so I stopped

This year i restarted after winter, as  usual feeling a bit uncomfortable after ride. My surgeon said push through it may break up scar tissue which I did and have persevered and now riding twice a week and now any post-ride discomfort pretty much gone (so far). I'm not up to the same distances but building up, and now in Torquay so every ride involves up and down the steep sided valleys between Torquay and Teign Valley, there's  a lot more climbing than around Watford - St Albans. I do roads and the gentler off-roads. Many tracks are also by-ways and are challenging enough on a Honda CRF250.

I do use saddle with cut out and have played around with stems, bars  and saddle position to get comfortable riding  position, being too stretched out wasn't good. I think getting position right was important