I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Guess its active surveillance!

User
Posted 15 Sep 2022 at 19:18

Ok, so in June i was diagnosed with prostate cancer 3+4 but then at my consultation was droppes to a 3+3 

My psa was 4.0 hence why i went for my biopsy. I've since been working out and running just to get onto some shape as i want to be in good shape physically and mentally for my operation (which i was adamant i was having in January) thinking my psa was only going to rise and that i want the cancer out of me.

I had my bloods done for my psa levels and it has gone from 4.0 to 1.6 (which a leete from my consultant says in withom normal range) 

How? I'm not moaning I'm just thinking how can someones psa be within normal range when they have cancer.

Thanks

User
Posted 17 Sep 2022 at 02:16

Well 3+3 is barely cancer. Remember it is a human being who makes a judgement call and maybe you were almost 2+2 but they erred on the side of caution. Maybe you had prostatitus at the time and it made 2+2 look slightly more 3+3 (I don't know if this is possible) and raised your PSA a bit.

Some cancers produce very little PSA. I think it is rare, but it would be a bit worrying.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Sep 2022 at 09:36
There are a number of reasons why PSA can change and that is why it is not a reliable indicator, particularly early on and without a history of tests. You have been diagnosed with 3+3, presumably following biopsy, so your cells are a little different to normal cells. As to your seemingly logical question about how can I man have a very low PSA but still have cancer, you have to accept that it can happen, particularly with sone types of PCa. (There are quite a number of types). Interestingly, a well known doctor from Mayo, one of the leading USA hospitals, put up some slides in a talk showing a man with zero PSA but with extensive advanced mets, although this is quite rare. It does indicate how PSA can sometimes give the wrong impression. Incidentally, the opposite can also apply where PSA is high but cancer cannot be found.
Barry