I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad is starting chemotherapy on Monday

User
Posted 29 Sep 2022 at 00:29

I’m worried about my Dad starting chemotherapy on Monday for advanced PC which has spread to his lymph nodes. He’s 77 & fairly fit as he walks regularly and swims in the sea. Not sure how he’s going to cope with the treatment, but trying to be positive. My Mum is stressing out about it all & has ended up having an ECG following heart pains after her recent COVID booster. I’m due to have my jab tomorrow evening-I wasn’t going to but want to do all I can to prevent my Dad catching any infections! Doesn’t the chemo include alcohol content? My Pa is a tee totaller as alcohol doesn’t agree with him. He likes it but gets major head aches so avoids it at all costs!!

User
Posted 14 Oct 2022 at 01:14

Sorry to hear your Dad has started chemotherapy. I’ve just finished 6 cycles and didn’t overly react thankfully. Docataxel is often viewed as being less aggressive compared with other chemotherapy types. 

Hes in good hands. Hope he’s getting through it nicely. 

User
Posted 14 Oct 2022 at 06:00

Hi Matthew I’m pleased to hear you are doing well with your treatment & thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately my Dad had an allergic reaction within five minutes of trying to take the chemo-his face went red, he had to be pumped full of piriton, had an asthma attack, couldn’t breathe, was put on oxygen & had an ECG. He had to be monitored for a few hours before being able to go home after that. He’s waiting for a date to go in again for a smaller dose of chemo to be administered over a day so 
watch this space.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 09:24

Hi JLouise.

I was wondering how your dad got on after the allergic reaction? 

My husband had his 1st chemo this week and had similar symptoms. They did however do the chemo that day, but at a slower rate. 

He was fine, but blimey it was scary! 

Lorri

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 10:23

Hi Lorri I hope your husband is doing well with chemo after his scarey reaction!

My Dad couldn’t take chemo at all despite three attempts so had radiotherapy for four weeks instead. He has been having the hormone injections too, but has recently had allergic reactions from this in both arms with lumps appearing and been on a few courses of antibiotics. He may have to have the injections in his stomach instead in future. His levels have come down a lot after treatment which is really good, but he is unsteady on his feet & still needs to be close to a toilet although this has eased a bit. 

Best wishes to both of you!! I wish your husband well with treatment onto better health & hope that you have got a good network of family & friends for support, just to be able to offload and take your mind off it a bit x

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 10:51

It might be worth asking to switch to Zoladex. My GP surgery prefers it because it causes the fewest injection site issues. It's not a depot injection (which is what tends to cause the reactions), but a solid implant.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 11:08

Hi Andy,

Thank you for this information-I will let my Dad know.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend 😊👍.