I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone weight gain and sport

User
Posted 04 Oct 2022 at 14:56

How do people manage the weight gain due to hormones and carry on doing sport?

I'm a keen competitive cyclist [TTs. cyclocross, endurance rides] and run.

Since starting hormone injections every 6 months I've gone from 82k to 87k - I exercise 3/4 times per week.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2022 at 17:48

Exercise is very important for maintaining muscle mass and bone strength while on hormone therapy, but you need to do an awful lot of exercise to burn up a small amount of excess weight, so dieting is going to be more important for keeping weight in check.

I found purchasing body composition scales to be very useful, so I could monitor my muscle and fat composition. For example, I was pleased to see my weight reduce at one point, until I realised it was due to a loss of muscle and gaining fat. That caused me to increase the protein proportion of my diet.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2022 at 19:01
Hi Peter I have 3 monthly injections and daily hormone (Abiraterone) plus oral steroid (Prednisolone). Fitness keeps me sane given the situation. I run every day. I have noticed a slight weight gain mostly in the abdominal area but as Andy says diet is also crucial, I now calculate my calorific intake to a female daily total rather than a male daily total and try and eat a balanced diet with good amounts of protein as has been said. The weight gain hasn’t been as bad as I worried about and I have been told I probably needed to put on a few pounds anyway.

Good luck with staying active, that is the important part I think

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Oct 2022 at 17:48

Exercise is very important for maintaining muscle mass and bone strength while on hormone therapy, but you need to do an awful lot of exercise to burn up a small amount of excess weight, so dieting is going to be more important for keeping weight in check.

I found purchasing body composition scales to be very useful, so I could monitor my muscle and fat composition. For example, I was pleased to see my weight reduce at one point, until I realised it was due to a loss of muscle and gaining fat. That caused me to increase the protein proportion of my diet.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2022 at 19:01
Hi Peter I have 3 monthly injections and daily hormone (Abiraterone) plus oral steroid (Prednisolone). Fitness keeps me sane given the situation. I run every day. I have noticed a slight weight gain mostly in the abdominal area but as Andy says diet is also crucial, I now calculate my calorific intake to a female daily total rather than a male daily total and try and eat a balanced diet with good amounts of protein as has been said. The weight gain hasn’t been as bad as I worried about and I have been told I probably needed to put on a few pounds anyway.

Good luck with staying active, that is the important part I think

User
Posted 04 Oct 2022 at 19:10
Hi Peter. I guess age can make it worse and more uncontrollable even with good exercise. Sounds like you do more exercise than me tbh even though I’m only 55. I’ve been on 3 monthly Decapeptyl for just shy of two years and haven’t put a pound on. I do exercise and walk the dogs daily and semi work on a farm. However I do drink a fair bit and haven’t modified my diet in the slightest. So I don’t think you should blame yourself at all. I guess diet will be key for you given your excellent fitness. Good luck