I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Following Biopsy, blood in semen

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 08:33

I recently had a biopsy and am experiencing the blood in my semen after effects which I understand may take up to about ten weeks to return to normal. 
I’m ok with this but don’t really know how dark it should be. Mine can be quite dark brown and quite dense if I don’t fire off any rounds for a couple of days. Is this common I wonder? 
Also, I don’t know if it is a good idea to ejaculate regularly, say a couple of times a day to try to flush it out more quickly. Or to give the lad a rest for a few days at a time and accept the rather disturbingly dark fluid to clear over a longer period. 
it’s a tad not very pleasant for me let alone the idea of subjecting my loved one to the same horror show. She’s already in a panic about the awaited results of the biopsy. 
Would love to get some opinions on this. Thanks a mil. 🤔

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 11:37

Your doing fine. Almost black for some ejaculations, not very pretty.

The colour gives you some idea of how old the blood is. Red is fresh blood, dark brown is about two or more days old. 

The biopsy incisions will probably heal in a couple of days, but occasionally may bleed again hence the up to ten weeks (I'd have said six weeks). One member here says old blood now shows on his MRIs so clearing it out has a small advantage.

So its not too important what you do, but I would say once a day will clear the old blood out reasonably quickly but won't cause prostate to be so active it never gets a chance to heal.

Expect after a few days colour to be salmon pink, but don't worry if it occasionally goes darker for a day or two.

Dave

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 11:58

Yes, usually tomato ketchup for first 3 days after biopsy, and HP sauce after that, returning to normal over a few weeks, depending how often you ejaculate. If you leave it months before ejaculating as a couple of helpline callers had, then you may have black semen.

By the way, there's a long thread on this: Blood in semen after biopsy

Edited by member 13 Oct 2022 at 11:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 13:11

Thanks Dave, for a comprehensive and reassuring response to my question.

Much appreciated.

Alan

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 13:14

Thanks Andy

Great description and pretty much how things are playing out.

very reassuring 

Thanks also for the link

Many thanks

Alan