I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hernia risk post RALP

User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 07:29

Is the increased risk of a hernia post RALP permanent or does it decrease (or disappear) over time?

I have 42 steps up to my front door so literally everything for the house and garden (shopping, furniture, sand, cement, stone, pots, compost - you name it) needs to be carried up. Not to mention I love surfing and running. So I’m hoping someone says that the risk decreases! 

Thanks all

Nick

User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 14:46
As I understand it the increased risk of an inguinal hernia following any type of major abdominal surgery is permanent. It's still a relatively small risk, though; I certainly wouldn't let it put you off things that you enjoy doing!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 11:46

I have a stoma, and wear a support belt whenever I am doing anything vaguely energetic. Such as shopping, golfing, moving furniture etc.. I get three per year on the NHS. It would probably be worth talking to your GP about setting up a repeat prescription for hernia support belts if you can.

Edited by member 19 Oct 2022 at 11:47  | Reason: clarification

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 14:46
As I understand it the increased risk of an inguinal hernia following any type of major abdominal surgery is permanent. It's still a relatively small risk, though; I certainly wouldn't let it put you off things that you enjoy doing!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 11:46

I have a stoma, and wear a support belt whenever I am doing anything vaguely energetic. Such as shopping, golfing, moving furniture etc.. I get three per year on the NHS. It would probably be worth talking to your GP about setting up a repeat prescription for hernia support belts if you can.

Edited by member 19 Oct 2022 at 11:47  | Reason: clarification

User
Posted 19 Oct 2022 at 13:44

Thanks Stew, I have my first post op chat with the surgeon on 23 Nov so will bring it up then. I didn’t know you could get them! 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 12:58
I would be interested in what the surgeon says. I had my RALP in March and the good news is my PSA is still <0.01 at 6 months.

However I now have developed an Umbilical hernia. I was advised to see my GP. They have said whilst it remains small the best option is to do nothing, since any procedure ,if you can get it, is unlikely to stop it coming back! I am still Bowling and playing skittles but it is a constant worry. Any advice welcomed.