Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about PSA

User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 12:00

Hi All, 

I am worried about my PSA (4.9) - I am 48 years old. I have been having intermittent perineal discomfort and, on 1/2 occasions, have had discomfort/tenderness ejaculating. I have no other symptoms. No family history of Pca. DRE was smooth but tender. 

My Urologist thinks this is prostatitis and I am on antibiotics for 4 weeks with a view to repeating the PSA. I am, however, reading stories about Pca in people of my age with this PSA level. I am sorry to be dramatic but it's spinning around my head. 

I know I have my urologist's opinion but I am keen to hear some views from this forum. 

Best, 

Simon

Edited by member 17 Oct 2022 at 12:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 12:57

Prostate cancer doesn't hurt when the prostate is prodded during a DRE. Your doctor is doing exactly the right thing- antibiotics to reduce inflammation / infection and then reassess.

Edited by member 17 Oct 2022 at 12:58  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 16:14

At your age and even at much older a psa of 4.9 has a far higher probability of being inflammation.  Look it up.   Inflammation can cause a psa to go way up in some cases over 100.    One of the reasons a psa test isn't a standard check up is the number of false alarms.

If you start pushing for more diagnosis you're entering difficult water.  There is so much uncertainty you could end up using your prostate as a pin cushion for no reason.

If I was you though I'd likely be worrying until it becomes obvious it's not.  It's not unusual to worry and is one of life's survival mechanisms.

Keep well, Peter