Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TURP or REZUM

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 12:11

Hi 

I need the operation to reduce my prostate, I have been given two options. I would much prefer the consultant to make the choice, but he says the choice must be mine. He said the Rezum is new and there is no data available for long term success. I am leaning towards Rezum as it seems less invasive. Anyone else in the same position, or has recently had one or the other.

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 12:18
I think the question to ask your consultant is "if the Rezum treatment is not successful, can I have TURP in the future?"
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 12:19

I had a TURP to make weeing easier, it was a fairly straightforward procedure.  I was in hospital 2 days, once I could wee ok they let me go home.  I had some blood clots that came out when I went to the toilet but no real problems.  It really made a difference for me.

Arthur

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 12:52
Were you offered Rezum or was TURP the only option available?
User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 13:17

I had a TURP nearly 6 years back. Peeing was bloody and painful for a few days, but once over that the improvement  was immediate and amazing with no side effects.

Another 'benefit' of the procedure is that the extracted tissue is examined and in my case, that is when my PCa was discovered. This led to me going on AS and eventually having RALP last year. Without the TURP, my PCa may well have progressed unnoticed. Of course, I am not suggesting TURP as a diagnostic tool for all.

A slight downside of TURP is that should you ever need RALP, you are definitely in for a bladder neck reconstruction. In my case and thanks to the skill of my surgeon, I have to date suffered no issues because of that.

I was never offered Rezum. Perhaps it was not around in 2017.

Peter

User
Posted 25 Oct 2022 at 17:26
No, Rezum is a very recent development- hence there being no data on its medium to long term effectiveness
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Apr 2023 at 17:17

HI, how long did you take off from work.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2023 at 08:24

Two weeks