Hi just wanted to reach out if any on the forum who fall into similar category

young(ish)

44y/o

single

(not for want of trying to find a wife)

family 

would like kids

diagnosed 12 months ago

are there any gents with similar background who are having / or been through radical prostate surgery.. 

would like to get your thoughts

how your coping or coped after surgery / recovery etc 

m123

User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 23:44

Not as young as you 59 years young  , but had RARP in September . Seven cuts / 39 staples . Overnight stay in hospital ,home next day , catheter for 10 days , two UTIs wrong meds for first one hence it didn’t go . Had incontinence for 4/6 weeks minimal now with the odd squirt now and again . I am 8 weeks and one day post surgery , playing 18 holes of golf tomorrow .

I took things slowly and slowly increased my step count day on day . Was quite sore after surgery but just dosed up on painkillers which I took consistently for about 3/4 weeks.

ED is an ongoing headmess, but hopefully that will improve with time . Everyone is different so wishing you well throughout whatever you decide ..hope this helps.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2022 at 01:22

I was 46 at diagnosis 6 years ago.  I had non nerve sparing surgery so needed injections for erections.  I needed salvage radiotherapy and hormone therapy.  I've had a penile implant fitted now.  I've been through a lot.  However, I am now very well and have a psa of less than 0.006, the lowest my hospital can report.  I may well be cured.  Don't lose hope.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 23:44

Not as young as you 59 years young  , but had RARP in September . Seven cuts / 39 staples . Overnight stay in hospital ,home next day , catheter for 10 days , two UTIs wrong meds for first one hence it didn’t go . Had incontinence for 4/6 weeks minimal now with the odd squirt now and again . I am 8 weeks and one day post surgery , playing 18 holes of golf tomorrow .

I took things slowly and slowly increased my step count day on day . Was quite sore after surgery but just dosed up on painkillers which I took consistently for about 3/4 weeks.

ED is an ongoing headmess, but hopefully that will improve with time . Everyone is different so wishing you well throughout whatever you decide ..hope this helps.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2022 at 23:49

Definitely we have a few members in that age group. I'm sure they will be here soon. (I was 53, no interest in having kids).

I guess the first thing you need to do is look into getting your sperm frozen. I don't know what treatment you will end up having, you can have an active sex life after treatment, but making babies is not likely to happen after treatment.

One disadvantage of this forum is that posts are heavily biased towards people with on going problems. Now I'm not going to tell you this will be all plain sailing, nearly everyone will suffer some disadvantage from treatment, but the majority carry on and live a trouble free life.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Oct 2022 at 01:22

I was 46 at diagnosis 6 years ago.  I had non nerve sparing surgery so needed injections for erections.  I needed salvage radiotherapy and hormone therapy.  I've had a penile implant fitted now.  I've been through a lot.  However, I am now very well and have a psa of less than 0.006, the lowest my hospital can report.  I may well be cured.  Don't lose hope.