I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My dad has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer and is struggling mentally

User
Posted 05 Nov 2022 at 21:55

My dad got diagnosed about 6 months ago and treatment has been going really well but has been struggling with his mental health and this last week got diagnosed with covid (not badly thankfully) but he is in considerable mental stress and his head is ‘scrambled’. He has been admitted to hospital to see if they can help with this but it is such a worry. 

User
Posted 06 Nov 2022 at 07:22

Diagnosis and treatment are a mental as well as a physical battle it is hard to stay positive but you must lots on this forum will help going forward some magnificent people on here will help Lynn Dave  Barry Andy  Cheshire Chris  to name a few glad he is getting help and stay strong for him and keep us posted on treatment going forward  gaz 👍

User
Posted 06 Nov 2022 at 09:55
I found myself a councellor which I payed for. I was with her 2 years. It just helps enormously to chat to a neutral person and get it all off your chest. You can talk about anything — not just cancer. Phone the nurses on this website and they will guide you to free councelling via McMillan. You normally can get up to 6 sessions free. Good luck and just be there for him 👍
User
Posted 06 Nov 2022 at 16:13

I don't think I have heard of anyone on here being admitted to hospital due to the mental health problems of PCa, but we have people with suicidal thoughts, anxiety, feelings of inadequacy, depression, posts about physical symptoms; which reading between the lines are more to do with the mental issues of coping with them, it has caused relationship breakdowns. So this is a real problem. If he is on HT then he is effectively going through the menopause which will add emotional stress.

Now I'm lucky I can sympathise with these thoughts but I can control mine. Counselling or use of prescription medication are very appropriate to get through these problems.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Nov 2022 at 17:11
I agree with the previous posters; seeing a counsellor can be enormously beneficial. I had six sessions with a Macmillan counsellor and found them very helpful. Cancer is as much a mental battle as a physical one.

Best wishes,

Chris