Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 7.9 Enlarged Prostate - Awaiting Biopsy results

User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 14:02

Hi All,

I have been going through the diagnosis journey and am finding this site such a great place to get information and reassurance.

I have had an MRI which showed a slightly enlarged prostate and bloods have shown PSA level 7.9

I also had a spinal X-ray which showed no masses or issues

I was referred for biopsies as the prostate was not enlarged enough to explain the PSA levels

During the biopsy procedure I was told my prostate was smooth and no roughness or bulges

I have not had the results of the biopsies as the Lab are under staffed and they are not available yet.

As can be expected my family are concerned and I am worried and frustrated as its 2 weeks since the biopsies and no results.

Have read through some of the posts here and feel a lot better and want to thank all those who answer questions and provide information and support.

I will update further when I have my results and for a life long pessimist I am trying to stay positive and hope its either good results or manageable.

User
Posted 20 Nov 2022 at 12:33

Well had my results appointment and although I do not have the official letter the results were I think the best that they could be.

Prostate is enlarged and PSA 7.9

I am stage 1, 22 biopsies and 1 came back with cancer positive of 2mm.

I am Gleason 6 (3+3)

So going forward it is blood tests for PSA very 6 months and an MRI once a year depending on the blood test results of course.

I am still coming to terms with being diagnosed with cancer but I am grateful it has been diagnosed and will now be monitored and if it does get worse should be picked up quickly and therefore be treatable.

Family have had mixed reactions but hopefully are all thinking the same as me.

Thank you for the comments and I will be definitely reading more and getting involved with Prostate Cancer UK in the future.

I wish everybody here the best with their journeys and will keep an eye on your conversations.

Thank you again

Stuart

User
Posted 14 Nov 2022 at 09:36

Thank you Elaine, i have found reading the discussions here enlightening, helpful and reassuring at a very stressful time. I have everything possible crossed as well. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 20:07
I think results from biopsy take about 4/6 wks I stand corrected, even thou your psa is high it’s not sky high ,and only a biopsy can say if it’s cancer .
User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 20:39

Thank you Malcolm, had been told they would be ready by the consultant when they made the appt but did think it was very fast as it was only 2 weeks after the biopsies were taken. Just want to knaw as soon as is possible. 

User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 22:09
It can be that when all the tests considered necessary have been done these are considered at the next available Multi Disciplinary Meeting (MDM). So how quickly they consider your case and suggest option(s) for any treatment can depend on how many cases they have to consider. This could extend the wait if there are a lot of cases to consider and yours misses one or two.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Nov 2022 at 23:33

The waiting really is the worst part Stuart. As you’ve probably read, most on here have gone through that process and struggled….but pretty much all will say regardless of the result you do start to feel better when you know more and have a plan. 

There are of course many reasons other than cancer why your PSA is high so fingers crossed for you that is the case.

Wishing you well and will look out for your update.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2022 at 09:31

Thanks Barry. 

User
Posted 14 Nov 2022 at 09:36

Thank you Elaine, i have found reading the discussions here enlightening, helpful and reassuring at a very stressful time. I have everything possible crossed as well. 

User
Posted 20 Nov 2022 at 12:33

Well had my results appointment and although I do not have the official letter the results were I think the best that they could be.

Prostate is enlarged and PSA 7.9

I am stage 1, 22 biopsies and 1 came back with cancer positive of 2mm.

I am Gleason 6 (3+3)

So going forward it is blood tests for PSA very 6 months and an MRI once a year depending on the blood test results of course.

I am still coming to terms with being diagnosed with cancer but I am grateful it has been diagnosed and will now be monitored and if it does get worse should be picked up quickly and therefore be treatable.

Family have had mixed reactions but hopefully are all thinking the same as me.

Thank you for the comments and I will be definitely reading more and getting involved with Prostate Cancer UK in the future.

I wish everybody here the best with their journeys and will keep an eye on your conversations.

Thank you again

Stuart

User
Posted 22 Nov 2022 at 14:28

Good news Stuart xx

User
Posted 22 Nov 2022 at 15:02

Thank you.