Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hi, just joined

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 12:31

Hi All, 

I'm 58 years old, married, with a 16 year old daughter. I'd been being treated for an enlarged prostate for 2 years and had my annual PSA check which showed a score of 9.56. Following an MRI and biopsy I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in late October 2022  - T2cN0MX, Gleason score 3+4. 

I underwent  a nerve sparing Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy (RALP) on 28 November and was released from hospital next day. Next step is having the catheter removed tomorrow.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 16:46

Welcome and sorry to see you here. 

See my profile, not too far in front of you.

My advice at this stage, pelvic floor exercise once the catheter is out. No guarantees of course, but gives you a good head start in regaining your continence. You might be lucky and be good from day 1 of course...

Edited by member 06 Dec 2022 at 18:00  | Reason: Added words of clarification.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 17:06

Clive , most medical staff advise not to do the pelvic floor exercises while the catheter is in. Ask you nurse for advice for when to start or restart the PFEs.

For other reasons I was catheterised on a few occasions, I always made sure I was hydrated before getting to the hospital.

I always took a waterproof cover for the seat and a towel to sit on in case if a major leak. I never needed it but better to have them rather than want them.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 16:46

Welcome and sorry to see you here. 

See my profile, not too far in front of you.

My advice at this stage, pelvic floor exercise once the catheter is out. No guarantees of course, but gives you a good head start in regaining your continence. You might be lucky and be good from day 1 of course...

Edited by member 06 Dec 2022 at 18:00  | Reason: Added words of clarification.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 17:06

Clive , most medical staff advise not to do the pelvic floor exercises while the catheter is in. Ask you nurse for advice for when to start or restart the PFEs.

For other reasons I was catheterised on a few occasions, I always made sure I was hydrated before getting to the hospital.

I always took a waterproof cover for the seat and a towel to sit on in case if a major leak. I never needed it but better to have them rather than want them.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 18:37

Hi Clive,

Good luck for tomorrow.

I'm a couple years older with 3 very grown up kids in the 30's and 4 wonderful grandchildren, I'm going nowhere.

I have my (RALP) thingy on Monday 12th Dec and will be pleased when it is out, but even more pleased when the catheter hopefully comes out on the 22nd Dec. 

It took just over 2 months from MRI to byopsie to removal, on Monday. I have a T3a grade, 3+4 = 7 G but only a 3.87 psa. They found the issue cancer by accident as part of a ultra sound investigation for something else. Passed a request to investigate note on to my GP who only referred me as I presented with a second symptom, peeing a lot at night, to go with my borderline psa.

For me it's all about the position of one of the masses that needs dealing with pronto.

Let me know how you get on and how the recovery goes. 

Take care, Kevin

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 19:17

Thanks Jim, Chris and Kevin.

Hope all goes well Kevin for the 12th and thereafter.

Best wishes

Clive

Edited by member 06 Dec 2022 at 19:21  | Reason: Added content.