Show search

Notification

Error

Sex after ultra hypofractionated radiation therapy

User
Posted 07 Dec 2022 at 04:55

Hi

Hopefully today will agree on UHRT without HT as my treatment course

What are the chances of being able to have erections, orgasms etc afterwards. I am 69, Gleason 3+4, one 49 mm tumour, Stage 2

As always any views, experience from this great site very welcome

Thanks and best wishes Tony 

User
Posted 07 Dec 2022 at 19:38

A reasonably high chance of everything still working. HT I think is the biggest problem for a sex life. RT may do some damage but nothing compared to what RP would do.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Feb 2023 at 22:34
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Dec 2022 at 19:38

A reasonably high chance of everything still working. HT I think is the biggest problem for a sex life. RT may do some damage but nothing compared to what RP would do.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Feb 2023 at 22:34
User
Posted 17 Feb 2023 at 23:44

It'll be interesting to read the full report when it is out. The headlines have been well publicised over the last day or so.

It seems to be unusual in being a randomised trial- we don't see too many of those in the PCa arena. It is a fairly small study both in numbers and duration, and it's not immediately clear  what the incidence of parallel HT was among the SBRT cohort. So a bit more data is needed to make proper sense of the findings. As has been pointed out above, as far as side effects are concerned it's the HT that gets you, not the radiation, so I guess the immediate conclusions of the study are broadly in line with what you might expect to see.   

User
Posted 18 Feb 2023 at 00:25
For me, it just underlines the reason that few men would opt for RP in advanced cases, even if research is suggesting that removing the prostate can extend life. Prostate removal in aPCa is likely to be non nerve sparing so total ED and likely incontinence probably doesn't seem that appealing?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Feb 2023 at 19:16

Thanks very much for this link Lyn

Up to now I haven't had any serious side effects, and am very pleased I opted against surgery 

Of course, I might be thinking very differently as the months tick on, but so far so good 

Edited by member 20 Feb 2023 at 19:20  | Reason: Not specified