I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Salvage SABR

User
Posted 09 Dec 2022 at 22:14

Just wondering if anyone on this site has had SABR treatment to the prostate bed after previously having had radiation/brachytherapy? 

Thanks.

Zum

User
Posted 10 Dec 2022 at 00:12

Zum , I had SABR treatment to a pelvic lymph node in August this year after RARP 2014 and salvage RT 2017. Waiting until January to see how successful.

I think your treatment is unusual in that you also had a salvage prostatectomy.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 10 Dec 2022 at 15:24

Hi Chris.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I had brachytherapy in 2015 and Salvage RALP inc. rhs iliac lymph nodes in December last year. Alas some cancer remains but fortunately only in the prostate bed.

I see your SABR treatment was to a lymph node. Had the lymph node been previously irradiated or was your radiation treatment just to the prostate?

The reason I’m asking is because, at this stage, I’m told SABR is unsuitable as the prostate bed has already been dosed with radiation (hemi ablative brachytherapy). However, I’m aware of someone who is almost in exactly the same situation as me (and is being treated at the same hospital under a different consultant) but has been told they can have SABR.

The hospital, of course, won’t comment on another patients treatment but from my point of view I would be interested in what the difference between me and the other patient is. Both myself and the other patient aren’t aware of a difference except that the other patient had full dose brachytherapy to the whole gland (in other words had a higher dose of radiation than me). In my case I’m told SABR would make me totally incontinent, make bowel problems worse and would mean I couldn’t have an AUS. HT is the recommendation.

Zum

Edited by member 10 Dec 2022 at 15:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Dec 2022 at 16:49

Zum, I am fairly confident the iliac node tumor treated a few weeks ago was not included with the prostate bed treatment. I remember asking about side effects to the bladder and bowel,they told me it was far enough away and not in the same area as the prostate bed  

My bladder was damaged by the salvage RT but my bowels have never been better. 

Thanks Chris.