Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tender and sore breasts

User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 10:52

Hi

Here's an odd question. I'm now 8 months off prostap, having stopped early because of mental health problems - see blog. My hormones are back , testosterone is 6.3 so almost normal. I'm still suffering the sand mental health problems but oddly have started to have sore nipples and breasts. Not had this before? Is it a hormonal? I did take large daily doses of fenugreek to boost testosterone but have stopped....one side effect of that could be breast issues....just wondering if anyone has any thoughts...

Steve

Blog: prostatecancer.vivatek.co.uk

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 13:43
I experienced quite severe breast pain during my bicalutimide treatment. Tamoxifen held it at bay for about a year, but in the end my oncologist arranged breast bud RT which stopped it in its tracks. This is much lower energy RT than is used for PCa treatment and is done on a completely different type of machine which looks more like a conventional X-ray machine. I had one "zap" to each side of my chest on two successive days (ie one side one day, the other side the following day). The result was a bright red saucer-size circle around each nipple which took about a month to fade, like severe sunburn, but it certainly worked. It might be worth discussing this option with your oncologist.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 14 Jan 2023 at 12:04

"I do wonder what would've happened if you'd gone down the HT RT route 🤔"

I've asked myself that same question so many times and I still cannot confidently say in my own mind whether I made the right choice or the wrong one. Your blog is certainly no great advert for the HT/RT alternative but who knows? I hope things continue to improve for you and you can confidently say you have beaten it.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2023 at 14:01

Hi Esteban,

I had the experience of tender/swelling nipples at about 9 months after I stopped Zoladex injections. I checked with GP also but they weren't much help. It went away after a few months with no permanent changes.

Regards John

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Dec 2022 at 20:18
Andy62 had the same experience, I think - hopefully, he will comment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 11:42

Yes, I started getting breast pain and growth when my Testosterone returned.

I still had my repeat prescription for Tamoxifen, so I took a very small amount of that (10mg twice a week by snapping 20mg tablets). That stopped the pain instantly, and reversed the small amount of breast gland growth which had happened. Of course, I have no idea if that might have happened anyway, but I suspect the Tamoxifen played a part.

My oncologist hadn't heard of this before, but was fine with me having gone back onto low dose Tamoxifen.

However, taking Tamoxifen when you aren't on hormone therapy might not be a good idea (although pretty sure my Oncologist wouldn't have known this - it seems not many Andrologists do either). Tamoxifen is occasionally used to boost Testosterone in men with hypogonadism (low Testosterone) when the cause is low Leuteinising Hormone. It blocks the Testosterone receptors in the Hypothalamus and Pituitary glands, making them think you are shorter of Testosterone than you are, so the Pituitary produces more Leuteinising Hormone to tell Testicles to produce more Testosterone. My Testosterone was being measured and at last measurement, was slightly higher than the max normal range. However, that didn't correlate with when I took the Tamoxifen, so may be unrelated, and I've no idea what "my" normal Testosterone level is as it was never measured before hormone therapy, so that could be normal for me. Next PSA/Testosterone test will be Jan or Feb.

Note that Tamoxifen won't boost Testosterone while you're on hormone therapy.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2022 at 12:00

Hi thanks for the reply.

Quick look at my blog.... I stopped HT some 8 months ago. I'll mention this to my GP see what they reckons. But the nipples/breasts are painful. No sign of growth .. yet.

I'm still getting meltdowns and severe depression...so I'll mention that too but don't really want to go back on mirtazipine . My last testosterone and n November was 6.3 a bit low but up from 1.8 3 months prior plus significant sexual improvement 🤔😉🥳

Steve

User
Posted 26 Dec 2022 at 02:28

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for the reply & chat.

Just wondering how long this will go on for and what I could do.

My GP just says this condition is usually only seen in men with low testosterone and wasn't interested in prescribing tamoxifen.

Steve

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 09:07

I have never seen this phenomenum of gynecomastia when Testosterone returns to normal levels (in my case quite high levels) mentioned in medical literature, and I suspect it's medically not recognised. I ran it past an Andrologist who was going to try and find out, but the fact he never got back to me suggests he probably drew a blank. It's probably the same cause as happens in some teenage boys during puberty, but the mechanism for that doesn't seem to be understood either, beyond saying it's a hormone imbalance at a time when your body is going through significant hormonal changes, which is a similar situation us. I didn't get any gynecomastia or breast pain as a teenager, but did in puberty Mk II after hormone therapy.

I would not expect your GP to be familiar with this situation after hormone therapy if even andrologists aren't aware. However, enough of us here have experienced it to know it's a real thing - the lived experience and all that! Teenagers having this issue are sometimes prescribed Tamoxifen, which your GP may be more familiar with.

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 09:34

Thanks for that.

I was going to ask how long will it last and will the changes be permanent?

But I guess, as you say, no one knows.

I can theorise that as the body experiences a resurgence of testosterone it begins its rebalance of oestrogen, one cause of this increase is the moobs! Just a thought.

I've a review this week with my CNS and will ask them. The odd bit of pain is not too bad but permanent boobs is not a look I want.

Needless to say this doesn't exactly help my mental health!

Cheers 

Steve

User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 13:43
I experienced quite severe breast pain during my bicalutimide treatment. Tamoxifen held it at bay for about a year, but in the end my oncologist arranged breast bud RT which stopped it in its tracks. This is much lower energy RT than is used for PCa treatment and is done on a completely different type of machine which looks more like a conventional X-ray machine. I had one "zap" to each side of my chest on two successive days (ie one side one day, the other side the following day). The result was a bright red saucer-size circle around each nipple which took about a month to fade, like severe sunburn, but it certainly worked. It might be worth discussing this option with your oncologist.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 27 Dec 2022 at 14:01

I'm hoping it's just temporary....hormones rebalancing. It's a 2nd puberty - so I guess I'm turning into Harry Enfield's Kevin! S'not fair! Will it be spots next?

I've got a review with my CNS on Friday...I'll ask and push for tamoxifen at least.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2022 at 09:41  | Reason: Addition

Steve

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 10:57

Hi

Yes, following a good read of pub med documents etc

It seems that most gynaecomastia is the result of a hormonal imbalance. Oddly it's the surge of testosterone that is the prime cause. The body breaks this down via aromatase into oestrogens...hence the breast problems. So young boys going thru puberty are susceptible (my brother had some problems - very large, protruding nipples! Very distressing for a boy). Guys on bicalutamide get it (90%) as they still produce testosterone, it's just masked from the cancer, which is the whole idea but, consequently it is also hidden from the rest of the system, so the pituitary gland sends signals to the testes - make more, make more! So there's a testosterone boost...leading to oestrogen and.....

So, it's no surprise that guys post HT and RT with returning hormones should get this too. Castrated for 14 months . .....then woosh, hormones.."I'm back!"

Tamoxifen is not licensed for this situation apparently.

So, like most embarrassed youths, I'll have to endure. It should resolve itself....soon.

Steve

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 20:26

Thanks for sharing your research Esteban. I finish Bicalutamide in five weeks time so I may have to be prepared for my already hard, tender, sticking out nipples to get a tad worse. Unfortunately getting my Tamoxifen prescription after the problem started hasn't really eased the symptoms. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the hormone imbalance to right itself. Keep us posted.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 21:43

Good for you. Recovering from bicalutamide is a lot quicker than prostap by....a long way!

Steve

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 21:50

Hi again. Just read your bio.

Hmm, difficult passage eh.

I do wonder what would've happened if you'd gone down the HT RT route 🤔

Hmm, hindsight eh.

However it seems like things are getting sorted and I wish you all the best.

HT for me (see blog) was awful and nearly killed me by my own hand...so not always a great option but like you...I'm a survivor!

Steve

User
Posted 14 Jan 2023 at 12:04

"I do wonder what would've happened if you'd gone down the HT RT route 🤔"

I've asked myself that same question so many times and I still cannot confidently say in my own mind whether I made the right choice or the wrong one. Your blog is certainly no great advert for the HT/RT alternative but who knows? I hope things continue to improve for you and you can confidently say you have beaten it.

User
Posted 14 Jan 2023 at 12:11

Yes - it's probably the big question us guys ask about the past treatment.

The webinar series last year by PCR was very good (I got paid for being a reviewer!). Esp the one on making that big decision. For me, I had no choice but it can't be easy. I was impressed by the blunt honesty of the consultants.

Even the last session, on end of life, was exceedingly well presented. Let's hope neither of us needs that just yet....👍🥰

Steve

User
Posted 14 Jan 2023 at 14:01

Hi Esteban,

I had the experience of tender/swelling nipples at about 9 months after I stopped Zoladex injections. I checked with GP also but they weren't much help. It went away after a few months with no permanent changes.

Regards John

User
Posted 15 Jan 2023 at 09:12

Thanks for that. Yes, I guess like pubescent youths, it resolves itself.

You've had quite along PCa history. And quite surprising that you went for the orchiectomy. But the outcome seems good. Just shows that the chemical version is not as good as the surgical one. Cheers!

Steve

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 14:43
Well, it's getting to the 6 month mark and it's fading a bit but still a nuisance - hoping the coming months will see it go!!

Steve

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 17:12

Great result on your latest PSA Esteban. Long may it continue. Like you my gynecomastia is irksome but still not quite six weeks since I stopped Bical, but give it time.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 17:28

Thanks. I think recovery from bical might be quicker...who knows. We could do with a poll and then a chart! And my mantra...every man is different !

The gynae is just irksome as you say. It annoys me as it's a constant reminder of the cancer! Cancer, what cancer 😂!

Cheers

Steve