I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sugar cravings

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 21:57

Hi all, my husband had his second monthly prostap injection 2 weeks ago and his side effects from having these have certainly kicked in, particularly hot flushes at night!!

Since he started on HT in November, my OH has developed an incredible sweet tooth…I’ve never seen him eat so many sweets and chocolate!! Has anyone else experienced this?  I wasn’t particularly concerned but I’ve been reading about the increased risk of diabetes and although he’s not put much weight on at the moment, I’m worried that could happen and potentially lead to further health issues.  

Is an increased appetite and sugar cravings a common side effect of HT? 

User
Posted 12 Jan 2023 at 22:25

Is he on any steroids (e.g. with Abiraterone)? They make you hungry.

If he's eating more calories than he burns, he will put on weight.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 15:13

Hi Andy, no he’s not on steroids but he does take tablets for a heart condition, but the cravings have certainly only started since the HT.

I take it sugar cravings aren’t a common side affect? 

He also feels extremely thirsty all the time so we have booked a blood to check sugar levels as I believe HT can potentially bring on diabetes.

User
Posted 13 Jan 2023 at 15:25
NS78, how interesting!

I'm coming up to six months on Decapeptyl, so a different HT drug, but have likewise noticed a pronounced increase in sugar cravings, especially over the past few weeks or so.

In my case it all goes back to a blood test I had six weeks ago that showed a worrying increase in my cholesterol levels. In particular, my serum triglycerides (the bad guys) were approaching danger levels.

Up to then I'd already been following a healthy diet but following those alarming results I made further changes to my diet in an attempt to eliminate altogether foods with a high sugar content.

Except of course, Christmas got in the way and I probably succumbed to more chocolates than I really should have!

Since then I have climbed back on the waggon but am now really struggling to cope. I have always had a sweet tooth so knew it would be a struggle, but until reading your post assumed my increased cravings were purely down to withdrawal symptoms.

Now I'm beginning to wonder whether it's all too much of a coincidence.