I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bleeding after Prostatectomy

User
Posted 31 Jan 2023 at 13:21

My partner woke up bleeding four weeks after prostatectomy.

We searched Internet for related stories, and found one on this site of a man who walked ten miles after prostatectomy, and then began bleeding.

Similarly, feeling well, my partner engaged in an cross country skiing one month after surgery-he felt great, but then woke up unable to urinate and bleeding. 

Pressure and pain grew, bleeding continued. Clearly the bladder was blocked.

Brought partner to emergency room. They put catheter in place which relieved the pressure--clots were released, but some blood remained. 

Later, partner received "hand irrigation" technique which was able to remove many clots, and sent home with catheter. He felt relieved, but clearly a set back after a good recovery. 

Since there were few to no stories like this to refer to, I'm sharing this story. I'd advise anyone who is experiencing bleeding after a similar situation to get help sooner than later and to have their surgeon consult with any emergency care about best next steps. 

Good luck. I'm glad this forum exists. 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2023 at 20:19

CaregiverD, there are probably quite a few on here who have experienced bleeding after doing too much post surgery. Typically six weeks is mentioned as a time  for the internal wounds to heal.

I assume you are using flushing bottles, you may have already been told the following.

If you meet resistance when pushing fluid into the bladder, try a gentle squeeze and release technique, it will sometimes pull the clot out of the catheter, rather than compress the clot in the catheter.

Hope all goes well,take it easy but stay mobile.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2023 at 20:33

I have been to a post-prostatectomy support group this afternoon where we were told, in no uncertain terms, that we have undergone major surgery and to do basically nothing for 6 weeks and to then gradually build things up. I feel great 6 weeks after my robotically assisted procedure but am following the advice. We all heal at different rates but I feel the advice to take it easy is found advice.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2023 at 17:42
Very sensible to take things easy and thereby reduce the risks of complications and setbacks after Prostatectomy despite inclination to want to do more sooner.
Barry
User
Posted 01 Feb 2023 at 18:15

Men who end up with a hernia after laparoscopic RP (sometimes months or years later) are often the ones who did too much too soon.

Edited by member 01 Feb 2023 at 18:16  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard