I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I Hope this gets better!

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 11:20

I have joined in a few conversations on this wonderful site all of which have been helpful or interesting but I am getting quite depressed and feeling like s@#t! 

I am 79 and was diagnosed Dec 21 with T3b n0m0 gleason 9 (4+5). Discussion with onco on treatment options  so started HT (zoladex) Jan 22 followed by RT in May 22 at Royal Surrey.

Usual side effects with zolly but bearable  as we're RT side effects. 

First follow up meeting with onco in Sept good as he stopped the zolly and psa 0.08.

Since then I have steadily been feeling worse, the hot flashes have just about gone but the fatigue, joint and muscle aches and pains have got worse znd it's an effort to do things.

Chat with CNS nurse in Jan, psa not detectable but testosterone also  zilch. She did imply that it something up with which I shall have to put until T returns to normal, whenever that might be.

T replacement therapy probably not a good idea as it may set things going again.

Next bloods in June.

I had hoped I would be feeling OK  by now, any thoughts, advice, encouragement would be appreciated. OH very supportive but I don't want to push things too much for the sake of domestic harmony!

Peternigel

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 11:46

So you were on zoladex for nine months which is shorter than most people, but most people are probably on it for too long (exception lifelong HT).

It took my testosterone 9 months to recover from two years of HT but I was only 55 years old. So it is probably reasonable to say it's going to be summer before the effects of HT wear off for you.

Don't blame everything on cancer or HT, you are getting older, it has its effects.

Dave

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 13:49

Hi Peter,

My husband had just 6 months of HT - prostap 3 before he had his operation. He had his last injection November 2021 which should last until feb 2022. His testosterone had gone to 2.8 in may, 7.3 in august and then finally to 10 in November so it did take some time. He has his next test on Monday.

Really hope you are starting to feel better soon. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 11:46

So you were on zoladex for nine months which is shorter than most people, but most people are probably on it for too long (exception lifelong HT).

It took my testosterone 9 months to recover from two years of HT but I was only 55 years old. So it is probably reasonable to say it's going to be summer before the effects of HT wear off for you.

Don't blame everything on cancer or HT, you are getting older, it has its effects.

Dave

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 13:49

Hi Peter,

My husband had just 6 months of HT - prostap 3 before he had his operation. He had his last injection November 2021 which should last until feb 2022. His testosterone had gone to 2.8 in may, 7.3 in august and then finally to 10 in November so it did take some time. He has his next test on Monday.

Really hope you are starting to feel better soon. 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2023 at 22:43

Hi, I would get a blood test to check your testosterone levels are actually recovering. The older you are the slower it can be and sometimes they don't recover. In my experience testosterone recovery will take at least as long as the time that you were on zoladex.

Regards John

User
Posted 04 Feb 2023 at 08:52

Hi John

Testosterone level was checked in Jan together with psa. Both found to be below detection level according to my CNS  nurse.will try to get actual figures. Bloods due again in June. As I was on zolly for about 9 months, fingers crossed for sometime this summer!. It's the joint.and muscle aches and pains which get me, fatigue I can put up with to some extent.

I used to be fairly active with golf twice a week and enjoy a good walk. 

Fingers crossed

Peternigel