I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

does creatine increase dht

User
Posted 07 Feb 2023 at 19:08

I had  a phone call from endocrinologist today regarding zoledronic acid, I asked him if it was ok for me to still take creatine and supplements that I have been taking he said yes,but I have read that creatine raises dht any help please. 

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 19:14
yeah it's OK.
User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 20:10
I took creatine when I was a gym bunny many years ago. It added bulk to muscles and I looked the part. However it does cause you to store lots of water and can lead to dehydration and muscle cramping. That’s all I know. I had to stop cos I couldn’t run anymore.
User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 05:22

Three weeks of creatine monohydrate supplementation affects dihydrotestosterone to testosterone ratio in college-aged rugby players

What's not known to me is what effect circulating DHT has. DHT is usually manufactured from Testosterone in the Androgen Receptor (AR) which is going to use it, i.e. at point of use, and the serum DHT levels are much lower than serum Testosterone levels. I don't know if circulating DHT can be taken up by the AR's which normally manufacture it in situ (prostate, seminal vesicles, and hair follicles). Maybe the increased circulating DHT is because these AR's couldn't use it having manufactured it? I don't know if other AR's which would normally use Testoserone directly without converting it to DHT can use circulating DHT instead. These would be interesting questions for an endocrinologist or maybe andrologist.

Edited by member 09 Feb 2023 at 05:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 07:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I don't know if circulating DHT can be taken up by the AR's which normally manufacture it in situ (prostate, seminal vesicles, and hair follicles)

This is a bit OT but you've commented that hair follicles are an AR. Could I ask how that ties in with changes in hair during HT. Mine is more dense, slightly thinner per strand [I think] and has grown much longer than it would have normally.

Aside from the obvious effects of HT I sometimes wonder what sort of internal battle is going on between the forces of Zoladex and the defence of the body 😀

Jules

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 11:16

Many hair follicles on your body respond to Testosterone (or rather the DHT they manufacture from Testosterone, but I'll just say Testosterone here for simplicity). However, the effects are different (and even completely opposite in some cases) depending on where the hair is. This response also varies with Testosterone levels - AR's (Androgen Receptors) are polymorphic, meaning different AR's respond to very different levels of Testosterone.

Most obviously, Testosterone causes the start of growth of pubic and axillary hair, and at a higher level found in men and not usually women, facial hair. It also causes body hair to grow on arms, legs, chest. The hair on your head grows without Testosterone, but Testosterone has the opposite effect on these hair follicles, causing the thinning of hair strands to the extent of loss of viable hair in many cases.

An even larger impact is genetic. Different races grow different amounts of facial hair and body hair. Even within the same race, some men become profoundly bald, while others lose no hair - again this is genetic.

The interesting thing about being on hormone therapy is that you can see many (but not necessarily all) of these effects reverse. Many men will lose their body hair, and even find their balding reverses. However, it is rarer to lose pubes or beard, but common for them to grow much slower. One of the treatments for balding is Finasteride which prevents AR's from being able to convert Testosterone to DHT, so your hair follicles see a reduction in effects from Testosterone/DHT. It's also used (at higher doses) to shrink enlarged prostates using exactly the same mechanism.

I had naively assumed I didn't have high levels of Testosterone as I wasn't particularly hairy on the body to start with, and have never shown any signs of balding or even thinning on top. As a result of PCa treatments, I do now know what my natural Testosterone level is, and it's relatively high, so this shows there are factors at play too such as genetics which trump the effects of Testosterone.

Edited by member 09 Feb 2023 at 17:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 16:21

Thanks Andy. Possibly not a treatment for baldness that's going to catch on but It's interesting to know the basis for these different changes in hair growth around the body.

Chris, when you say you couldn't run anymore, could you expand on that a bit please?  From what you and andy have said, it seems creatine might not be a great idea.

Jules 

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 19:21
All a bit confusing so is creatine ok for prostate cancer.
User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 23:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
All a bit confusing so is creatine ok for prostate cancer.

I don't know because

a) I don't know if the rise in DHT seen in healthy men would happen if you're on hormone therapy since I don't know the mechanism behind it, and

b) I don't know if a rise in serum DHT (in the blood) has any effect, since that's not where androgen receptors which normally use DHT get their DHT from, and

c) even if it does raise DHT and increase AR triggering in the prostate, is that dangerous if you're cured? Research has shown that using Testosterone Replacement Therapy on men after prostate cancer treatment with no evidence of disease and believed cured does not cause any rise in the rate of recurrence - is that the same for serum DHT?

You're going to have to find someone with a very detailed knowledge of this area to get these answers, and more than likely, no one will have researched all of the areas sufficiently to know.

Edited by member 12 Feb 2023 at 23:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 14:01
thanks, waiting to go for my zoledronic acid infusion, will ask the endocrinologist when I go,all my problems are with no testosterone, I asked gp years ago about having a dexa scan and he said I haven't been on ht long enough 18 mths.when I last spoke to endocrinologist he said to keep asking gp and urologist regarding testosterone because things are changing.