Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cancer return after prostectomy

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 08:31

Hello 

Just signed up never thought i would but after advice or understanding. 

Ill start from begining diagnosed with stage 4 and high stage 3 (without any symptoms) at the ripe old age of 50. This was 3 years ago. 

I had radical prostatectomy in nov 21, followed by depression drink drugs. 

Finally get my life back on track to have a phone call your psa is 0.46 we will have a meeting to see next step. 

Basically wanting to know if anyone has been in this or similar position and whats outcome. 

Thanks nick

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 11:38
Hi Staceman,

I think you mean that you were diagnosed with a gleason 4 + 3 and not stage 4 (stage 4 means advanced cancer that is incurable). Gleason grade 7 (4+3) is probably the most common diagnosis pattern.

About 30% of men have a recurrence after radical prostatectomy so there are many men on this forum who have been in your situation. My husband had his recurrence nearly 11 years ago - he had salvage radiotherapy and is fine.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 11:44

Hi Nick,

Sorry you are here but hopefully some will be able to offer good help and advice to you. 

My husband had his RP in December 2021, had PSA test Monday and just waiting for the results….I’m trying not to be my usual wreck but I find the waiting really difficult.

I assume you have had PSA tests every 3 months since your operation? Could you let us know what those results were….either on the post or on your profile. 

Just any more details you can add are really helpful to everyone. Do you know your Gleason score? What was your TNM score pre op? And after the op were you told of any positive margins? 

Have you now been referred to oncology?

Salvage radiotherapy seems to be really common and has great results so I’m sure everything will work out just fine for you. I can understand how you must be feeling though as no one really wants to have to go through anymore treatment.

Wishing you the best of luck

Edited by member 08 Feb 2023 at 11:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Feb 2023 at 11:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Staceman,
I think you mean that you were diagnosed with a gleason 4 + 3 and not stage 4 (stage 4 means advanced cancer that is incurable). Gleason grade 7 (4+3) is probably the most common diagnosis pattern.

I hadn’t seen your post before I replied Lyn but this would make sense re Gleason score 👍

User
Posted 27 Sep 2023 at 21:59

Hi sorry late reply. Hope you're husband was ok. 

Yes psa was undetectable till feb 23

Operation was nov 2020

Now psa is 0.95 not sure about treatment or not 

Thanks

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 11:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi sorry late reply. Hope you're husband was ok. 

Yes psa was undetectable till feb 23

Operation was nov 2020

Now psa is 0.95 not sure about treatment or not 

Thanks

My husbands PSA did rise above undetectable on his Feb PSA test.

Did your PSA go from undetectable to 0.46 in 3 months or were you on 6 monthly testing?

My husband has now started hormone treatment and will have SRT in October/November. He had 6 weekly PSA tests after the first rise….all the numbers are all on my profile.

He also had a PSMA pet scan which was clear but his psa at the time was around 0.15, the highest it got to was 0.221.

Booked for bloods next week to make sure the HT is doing it’s job 👍

Have you had a PSMA pet scan yet? I would think with a PSA of 0.9 there is a better chance of it picking something up therefore they would be able to target RT better.

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 11:21

Hi 

Hope all goes well. 

I was undetectable from feb 2021 untill feb 2023. Yes 6 month checks.

Feb 23 was at 0.45 2 weeks later went to 0.50 was sent for another 2 weeks later dropped to 0.47. At this time my consultant said would have psma scan which she said didnt show anything conclusive so will check psa in 3 months. 

Now psa is at 0.95 and after scan in june for growth on adrenal gland and lymph nodes informs me i have a lymph node enlarged approx double in size. 

Now wants me too start treatment and im trying to decide if its too late, should we be finding out if spread through lymph nodes as june to sept is a long time. 

Thanks 

Nick 

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 11:58

What was the recent scan you had? Was MRI or CT to pick up enlarged lymph node and adrenal gland?

We did have the option to wait for my husbands PSA to rise further and then they said they would do another PSMA pet scan….so at around 0.5, which I’m fairly sure he would have been at within 3 months. So certainly worth asking if you could have another as surely a growth on adrenal gland isn’t enough information, I would want to know what it was for sure and also about the enlarged lymph nodes.

I don’t know the implications if it was PCa in adrenal gland, but with just the lymph node involvement then I would think SRT would have to worry a try to keep on a curative pathway. 

Fingers crossed you can get another scan and see exactly what is going on.

Elaine

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 12:04

Hi 

Was ct scan. 

And think you right ive asked for another scan, not met with enthusiasm as consultant want to just start treatment. My concern is we cant be sure what has happend in three months since my psa has doubled. 

Another issue if can be anymore 😂 the lymph node is next to my penile implant pump, trying to find out damage radiotherapy will do isnt very successful. 20k for it to be damaged on top of the mental issues this will cause me i need to be certain treatment is good for me before i jump in.

Thanks nick

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 12:16

I would definitely chat with them about this then Nick, I would have liked to know what was being targeted with Rob….as it is we’re going in blind with the best guess there’s something left in the prostate bed or travelled to other lymph nodes 🤷🏻‍♀️

Everyone is different in how they feel about treatment and it’s important they take all of that into consideration. 

Have you got another appointment booked? Hopefully you have and soon to get it all sorted. 

Elaine

User
Posted 28 Sep 2023 at 13:06

Hi 

Yes you right just going in on results months ago or guessing is crazy, sometimes think they want to do it so can say we did all we can, irrespective of whether would have worked or not. 

Yes i have a call tomorrow and she said need answer if having treatment or not. 

Its only been a week since found out about high psa im not sure i will have an answer for her. 

Dont get me wrong she has been the most informative of consultants i have spoken too, but still i find i have to mention something before she mentions it. 

Thank you for you're time its good to talk to someone who is facing same similar problems. 

I do hope you both come out the other side 

Many Thanks 

Nick