I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My dad has fallen and fractured his hip

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 12:27

My dad had a fall on Friday and fractured his hip   He has extensive bony metastases and he trauma team have decided against surgery due to the state of the bone. He’s 85 🙁. Anyone else been in this situation? Any advice? He just wants to go home 😬

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 17:23

Hi everyone 

Thanks for the replies. Amazingly the hospital are trying to get my dad up on his feet! Apparently, When he can walk with a frame, he can go home!. He has agreed to a carer going in once a day when he gets home and some equipment so the hospital are on it. Fingers crossed they can get him up without too much pain and they can get him home 🤞

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 14:38

I have no direct experience of this. I am relatively young and (probably) cured. I have been on this site a couple of years and have seen a few threads, mainly posted by wives and daughters mentioning these problems caused by advanced cancer.

I think you have to realise that life expectancy for a man in the UK is 81. Your father has got to 84 before showing signs of cancer. So he is already beating the odds. 

Others on here and his medics may be able to list a load of possible treatments that may work. I am sure that somehow they could keep him alive for perhaps another three years, but why would he want that? I think you really need to be thinking of palliative care, and getting a hospice involved. Don't be frightened by the word hospice, these people can help with many things about end of life, and he may never need to go in a hospice. 

Just my twopena'th worth, others may disagree.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 21:46
I suggest you ask the Hospital for help with equipment to enable him to return home, the Palliative Care team could help too.

Chris.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 22:45
That's brilliant Libby - thank heavens for OT and physiotherapists!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 14:38

I have no direct experience of this. I am relatively young and (probably) cured. I have been on this site a couple of years and have seen a few threads, mainly posted by wives and daughters mentioning these problems caused by advanced cancer.

I think you have to realise that life expectancy for a man in the UK is 81. Your father has got to 84 before showing signs of cancer. So he is already beating the odds. 

Others on here and his medics may be able to list a load of possible treatments that may work. I am sure that somehow they could keep him alive for perhaps another three years, but why would he want that? I think you really need to be thinking of palliative care, and getting a hospice involved. Don't be frightened by the word hospice, these people can help with many things about end of life, and he may never need to go in a hospice. 

Just my twopena'th worth, others may disagree.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 21:20

Hi Dave

I obviously understand what you are saying but he just wants to come home to be with my mum

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 21:46
I suggest you ask the Hospital for help with equipment to enable him to return home, the Palliative Care team could help too.

Chris.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 22:17

Hi Libby,

As exbus says, the Hospital, palliative care team, and hospice can all help with getting him home. A hospice team can very much deal with looking after someone at home, not just in a hospice. A hospital is not a nice place to be in any circumstances, do your best to get him home.

Now I don't know anything about his medical condition or your mindset at the moment, but from what I can see from your posts, you need to be in the mindset of helping him in the final stages of his life. If you are in that mindset you will be able to make progress towards an inevitable end as comfortably as possible. If you are in a mindset of cure or prolonging life, I think you are fighting a losing battle. Telling someone on an internet forum that they need hospice care for their father is not the easiest, most tactful thing to do, but the reality of posting on a cancer forum is that not all stories are going to end well.

Remember I don't know anything about his situation there may be things that I am missing, so only his medics can give sound advice, at best this forum can just give you opinions from lay people.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 22:40
Libby,

I would add that bone fracture worries me, I have been put under the Care of the Palliative Care Team and also had my Local Hospice telephone me to give me their 24/7 phone number if I need any help.

Chris.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 22:52

Sorry to hear this. My dad, almost 90, did the same a few weeks ago. He doesn't have prostate cancer as far as we know but it turns out he does have osteoporosis. There was some discussion about the merits of operating. They thought there was a 30% chance of not surviving the op and the weeks afterwards. He did go for the op - the alternative was 12 weeks fairly stationary in bed hoping it would heal itself, which would probably become permanently bed bound at that age regardless if it healed or not.

Do you know what they're suggesting for your dad? If bed bound temporarily or permanently, I don't see why that can't be at home with a suitable care package, including a hospital bed, carers, and the other things he's going to need. You need to engage palliative care as already mentioned.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 02:31
What an awful shock for you all. This is not easy to write and will not be easy to read, but have you discussed end of life plans as a family? Would your dad prefer to die at home or in a hospice, given the choice? Would your mum be able to care for him and what support would you be able to provide? If you know the answers to these questions and believe that you can care for him at home while he is immobile, make sure the hospital team are aware - they should start talking to social care services and district nurses / community care teams to see how quickly the house can be made suitable. An occupational therapist and / or physiotherapist might do a home visit to see what is needed - whether a hospital grade bed can be placed in a downstairs room, whether there is a downstairs toilet, that kind of thing. If his preference is a hospice, the hospital team may talk to local hospice services now or may start talking about moving him to a care home until his hip mends a bit and he is more mobile.

If it is a bad break and he is in a lot of pain - or if home can't be made accessible - he may have to stay in hospital for a while. It may be that a transfer home is possible but not until a care package can be agreed and local authority social care can arrange the equipment; this can take quite a long time.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 08:07

Hi Libby I haven’t been in the situation but have been in the health service for many years.  It should be possible to speak with the team at hospital and make it possible for your Dad to be with your mum at home.  As Lyn above said this may involve hospital social services, OT, Physiotherapy etc but it is worth doing.  People are mentioning Palliative care and one reason for this is the framework for palliative care includes the provisions for being cared for at home and put’s some requirement hospitals to respond to your families needs in a speedy manner in cognisance with these guidelines. Good luck with it and I hope your dad is not in too much pain. 

Best wishes 

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 17:23

Hi everyone 

Thanks for the replies. Amazingly the hospital are trying to get my dad up on his feet! Apparently, When he can walk with a frame, he can go home!. He has agreed to a carer going in once a day when he gets home and some equipment so the hospital are on it. Fingers crossed they can get him up without too much pain and they can get him home 🤞

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 22:45
That's brilliant Libby - thank heavens for OT and physiotherapists!