Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bone mets and Calcium/D3 tablets

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 09:31

Hi all,

Do any of you with bone mets take Calcium and D3 tablets?

Mr MAS has taken them on prescription since diagnosis and has recently found out he has spread to bones. The Evacal prescription leaflet says not to take if you have bone mets.

I know its a question for the Oncology appointment, but in meantime do any of you take them?

Thanks

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 12:27

I would guess they would need to monitor his blood calcium levels closely, to ensure it doesn't get too high. Some bone mets leach calcium out of the bones, and that combined with taking extra calcium could cause hypercalcemia (symptoms include nausea and temporary dementia). I think many people with bone mets do continue on calcium OK, but it should be monitored.

They might want to put him on a bisphosphonate or Denomusab in addition or instead of calcium.

So definitely a question for his medical team.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 13:30

Hi Mrs Mas my husband has bone mets and was put on Adcal-D3 tablets but they were giving him a bad stomach so he stopped taking them 

ann

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 15:18
After a while on HT with multiple bone mets I was advised and prescribed Adcal +D3 because of osteoporosis risk. I started taking them but found them making me feel lousy and even more fatigue so I stopped. I take full dose D anyway with cod liver oil , and I have plenty of calcium in diet so Onco said ok to stop
User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 21:27

Hi

I have apc with bone mets have been on d3 adcal 2 tablets a day for about 6 months I also eat bone supplements from H & B, organic dried figs,coconut etc,wethier it helps I don't know but I'll continue to carry on,I'm 53 with no underlying health conditions,yes I do have bone ache if I do to much (ride my bike & light weights)and rarely take pain killers but I learn to manage my day and work around it ialso wake up in night at least half dozen times with hot sweats and for a few seconds when I get up out of bed I think I'm fine,then it all comes back to me....yes I have got stage 4 cancer 😪

Regards phil

User
Posted 14 Feb 2023 at 09:11

Cheers  everyone

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 14 Feb 2023 at 21:59

Hi Mrs MAS,

Thanks for this info as I didn’t realise that was the case. My husband was on the evacal when he was on HT. He started with heart palps and we weren’t sure if these were causing it so he’s not had any since.

Hope Mr MAS is doing ok x

User
Posted 17 Feb 2023 at 14:52

they've got me with Alendronic Acid and Evacal D3 also, taking the Acid once a week in the morning 1/2 hour at least before food, really winds me up 

Hope you're both doing okay