I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried and anxious

User
Posted 18 Feb 2023 at 21:40

I'm increasingly worried and wondered if anyone had similar problems to me. I'm 53 and my psa was 7 last year, but now it's 12.

I don't get up to pee at night but when I do pee, I dribble afterwards a tiny amount,  but then have to go again soon after. I haven't produced semen for ages, and I an often numb inside my legs to my knees.

I have an mri next week  but I'm increasingly anxious. 

Does anyone else have an experience like mine?

User
Posted 18 Feb 2023 at 23:03

Were you referred to urology last year when your PSA was 7? If so, did you have an MRI and biopsy and what were the results?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 09:54
A sudden rise is almost always down to infection, not cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 15:28

Thanks Chris, you've really been through it and I feel for you. However it is good on here for everyone to share, as there aren't many opportunities otherwise 

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 18:52

So my prostate is 92cc - very large, with Pirads 3 and PSA 12. I've been told to have a PSA test every 12 weeks with the prospect of a biopsy in 6 months 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Feb 2023 at 23:03

Were you referred to urology last year when your PSA was 7? If so, did you have an MRI and biopsy and what were the results?

User
Posted 18 Feb 2023 at 23:38

Well I was diagnosed at 53 with a PSA of 25, and quite severe peeing problems. Five years later I'm treated; with a PSA of 0.2 and discharged from treatment. So if you do have prostate cancer it is likely to be curable. I don't think the numbness in the leg is related to the cancer, the cancer would have to have spread and your PSA would be in the 100s rather than teens.

Of course with so little information at the moment we may as well be reading tea leaves. The MRI is the only way to find out more.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 00:14

PCJ, at 50 I started with a bit of terminal dribbling, did the usual shake and milk. I never thought that much about it. At around 60 my amount and quality of semen deteriorated, again just put it down to getting old. Eventually by accident at 62 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer with a PSA of 7.7. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 07:20

Thanks for all this.  Last year at my mri they just said my prostate was enlarged and that was it. The biggest change is zero semen production and at times I can't get an election any more. To jump from 7 to 12 in a year is a worry and my gp sounded concerned on the phone. I guess I've got a few more days to wait and I'll know more.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 07:21

Thanks Dave, what treatment did you have, if you don't mind me asking.

Phil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 07:22

Thanks Chris, if its OK to ask, what treatment did you have?

Phil

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 09:54
A sudden rise is almost always down to infection, not cancer.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 11:05

Hi PCJ, To view my treatment etc. Click on my avatar and view profile, but at the moment you don't know if you have cancer or where it is, so not much point in planning your treatment.

PSA is a poor way to diagnose cancer. As Lyn says a sudden rise is probably infection, and lack of semen  could be too. If you had three or four PSA tests spread over 18 months, we could tell if this is slowly rising PSA or a blib from an already elevated level.

The fact the last MRI was clear even though PSA was high is good news. Until your next MRI we are still in Gypsy Rose territory though.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 13:21

Thanks. Not sure how I got infection...last time they put me on antibiotics and nothing changed. Can't wait for mri....

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 13:33
Prostatitis is notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat - it only responds to certain antibiotics and sometimes the prostate has to be massaged to get the antibiotics to the right place. Some UTIs are also resistant to normal antibiotics.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 13:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks Chris, if its OK to ask, what treatment did you have?

Phil

Too much, click on my picture if you really want to read my story, it is not pretty. If and it is an if you have PCa then hopefully you will be in the 70ish percent that have success first treatment.

As regards the rise in PSA , my GP missed a raised PSA test, it took three years for my PSA to rise from 6.9 to 7.7.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 15:28

Thanks Chris, you've really been through it and I feel for you. However it is good on here for everyone to share, as there aren't many opportunities otherwise 

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 17:43
So I've got my latest blood result and it's still 12. The results since 2019 are:

2019 - 6.3

2020 - 8.0

2021 - 8.23

2022 - 12

2023 - 12 (Jan)

MRI Saturday, hopefully I'll get some answers soon, but I don't think it's an infection

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 18:52

So my prostate is 92cc - very large, with Pirads 3 and PSA 12. I've been told to have a PSA test every 12 weeks with the prospect of a biopsy in 6 months 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2023 at 01:18

Hi LynEyre,

I was born 1975 (48 years old), I'm 5'11" and weigh 165 pounds with no medical issues. Never smoked or drank alcohol.

I started testing my prostate since 2016, and these are my PSA levels (ng/ml) with DRE findings:

May 31, 2016: PSA (0.54) %Free PSA (35%)

Jan 29, 2018: PSA (0.58)

Mar 18, 2019: PSA (0.64)

May 15, 2020: PSA (0.62)

Aug 17, 2021: PSA (0.68) DRE (30g, smooth, no nodules)

Aug 23, 2022: PSA (0.75) DRE (30g, smooth, no nodules)

Aug 29, 2023: PSA (1.53) DRE (40g, smooth, no nodules, no pain felt when doctor pressed on prostate checking for infection)

My only symptoms happen (occasionally) in the mornings ONLY (right after waking up): weak, but uninterrupted, urine flow that lacks force, preceded by brief hesitancy. I empty the bladder fine without voiding again for another 2-3 hours later.

Can cancer enlarge the prostate gland size (from 30g to 40g) within a year? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest test result (psa 1.53).