I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

desmopopressin

User
Posted 21 Feb 2023 at 17:43

hi,still getting up 4×nightly for a pee and am feeling more tired, I have been reading up on health news and  people with urinary problems, I have read about a drug named  desmopopressin it sounds good it reduces bladder emptying by 53%,,side effect risk of low sodium, anyone heard about this people who have had radiotherapy damage. 

User
Posted 22 Feb 2023 at 10:38

Hi Radar

This sounds interesting. I have been up 4 or 5 times per night for a pee for some years and before PCa  diagnosis. HT / RT has not made things worse but it would be so nice to have a full night's sleep!  GP has tried several pills to no avail. When I have finished my trial with solifenacin, which .May work of course, I shall suggest this.

Thanks for the info

Peternigel

User
Posted 22 Feb 2023 at 12:00

From the name, I was guessing it's a brand or manufactured version of vasopressin, also called anti-diuretic hormone.

Your hypothalamus is the organ which monitors your hydration level. As your hydration level drops to or below the ideal levels, the hypothalamus starts generating vasopressin. Kidneys naturally lose a lot of water from your body as part of their filtration process, but they have a post filtration phase, which in the presence of vasopressin, recovers the water from your urine and feeds it back into your blood supply. This is also a key mechanism for maintaining your blood pressure. Your bladder also has a limited ability to recover water from urine if you become dehydrated after the urine has already passed into the bladder. (This can happen if you suddenly start doing something that makes you sweat such as exercise, and some people occasionally notice this might remove an earlier sense that you needed to have a pee.)

The organ in your body which knows if it's day or night is the pituitary gland. During the day, this steals and stores some vasopressin. During the night, given you aren't expected to be drinking or increasing your hydration level, it releases the stored vasopressin to recover water from urine, but in this case it's to reduce the volume of urine collected, so you can go all night without needing to wake to pee (if everything is working correctly). In the morning, you usually have a pee to get rid of what was collected overnight (and if you're asked to collect a urine sample, it's this overnight collection which is preferred). Many men find that shortly afterwards, they need a pee again, and that's because the pituitary will have stopped releasing stored vasopressin, so your kidneys start pumping out the excess water that was returned to your blood overnight. This is also why blood pressure often goes up at night (effectively, blood pressure regulation is disabled to prevent your bladder filling too much), and more strokes happen at night. It's also why it's a bad idea to drink much before you go to bed or during the night.

The whole process of vasopressin and day/night changes tends to become less effective with age, and that's one reason which can contribute to needing to pee more at night as we age (although probably not the main reason). Vasopressin is available as a drug to take at night to help counter this reduction in efficiency, but as it also effectively disables blood pressure regulation overnight, it comes with a load of safety caveats, such as not drinking overnight or even taking the pill with water, and it's not much used. However, it might help some men in some circumstances.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2023 at 18:38
Thanks Andy,I am willing to try anything for a good night's sleep. I take tamulosin and betmiga not much good.
User
Posted 22 Feb 2023 at 20:15

Andy. That is a most helpful explanation vasopressin. It answers a question I've been pondering over since RP surgery. I found that I was producing around a litre or more of urine in my night bag during the night which seemed to be a greater rate of production than during the day. Fast forward to now and I'm still having to get up twice a night most nights to pee. I'm producing around 800 mL despite not eating or drinking after 6.30 pm. That amount of urine would probably challenge most bladders. So in short it's probably all down to age and nothing to do with RP.

Thanks for bringing this up, Radar. At least I now know there is something to to turn to if it gets worse.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2023 at 21:09

That's amazing. I didn't know the body recycled urine.   I too recall the full night bag even though I didn't drink after 7pm.  I've also experienced the double passing in the morning thinking there must be some backing up.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2023 at 12:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I didn't know the body recycled urine.

Just the water from the urine.