Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Private messaging

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 20:44

Hi

How many posts do you have to participate in before you can send a private message?

I am trying to decide between RT and RP, both of which will be carried out in Cardiff and I wanted to ask a couple of members that I can see have had treatment in Cardiff who the consultants were and what the treatment was like.

Thanks

Ian

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 22:59
I think you can PM once you have made 10 posts of your own

You would do well to check your surgeon's stats on the BAUS website
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 25 Feb 2023 at 10:35
Also, have you had a definitive answer from the surgeon about whether you would need to have the nerve bundles removed?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Feb 2023 at 14:49

Hi Lyn

Thanks for the reply. The surgeon that I have been referred to is on the BAUS website but it only gives contact details and qualifications.

I am still waiting for an appointment and will be ringing the secretary this week to find out where I am on his list.

To be honest until I have seen the surgeon and Oncologist I still have no idea which route to take. The thing that is putting me off RT is recurrence and being on HT for life. The MDT recommended surgery first and RT second but I need more info, such as nerve sparing, before I can make a decision.

Thanks

Ian

User
Posted 26 Feb 2023 at 15:30

The surgeon can give you a general indication of whether the nerves can be spared. Pre operative I was told that they would definitely saved on the left but not sure on the right, where the tumour was located. Post op, the surgeon saved all the nerves. Hence they cannot be definitive until the op. As it stands, despite all the nerves being spared, 5 months on I still have ED, so no guarantees.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2023 at 16:52
It's perhaps worth noting that unless you go private, there's no guarantee that a specific person will perform your surgery. If you're under the care of a particular urological surgeon, their registrar (trainee) may perform the surgery. Anyone who operates on you is going to be appropriately qualified, though.

Chris
User
Posted 27 Feb 2023 at 11:40

Hi Chris, yes understand that and another tick for RT although something that I did wonder was that if the RT is delivered by a computer controlled machine is the experience of the radiologist as critical as the experience of a surgeon?

Hi Jim, yes I have heard both sides of this one where nerve sparing almost guaranteed but after op found they had been removed and vice versa. I thought that the decision was determined by the scans but there must be a decision made during the op depending on what they can see by eye I guess. Hope the old fella perks up soon, I don't think that 5 months is a paticularly long time from what I have been reading. Easy for me to say I know.

Ian