Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice on Incontinence and Artificial Urinary Sphincter

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 20:47

Hi,

Since my RP in Apr 2017 and follow up RT in mid 2018 my urinary control did recover to a point of mild urinary incontinence. No need for a pad overnight but I was able to use a light pad most days unless I was doing something strenuous. I considered this a nuisance but acceptable.

I was regraded as advanced PCa in Feb 2022 and had an additional round of RT in Apr 2022. Since that point urinary incontinence has worsened despite a strict pelvic floor exercise routine, to the point that I now use at least one of the thickest pads each day and if physically active 2 pads or more is normal. If I have more than a pint of beer I may as well just pour the next ones straight into the pad, I dont even feel it happening until I notice leakage.

I now find incontinence a major niusance but still manageable with some adjustments and I am sure others must have it worse than me. I sometimes wonder if I'm being a bit soft and should harden up. Lol.

I have the option of surgery to implant an Artificial Urinary Sphincter. What has been the experience of others, is it worth the burden of additional surgery, did it improve quality of life, does it last long term, is the associated process of releasing the sphincter for urination manageable etc.

Other than the urinary incontinence I am still doing very well physically and am happy with my lot.

Thanks&Regards to All

John

Edited by member 04 Mar 2023 at 00:52  | Reason: Spelling error

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 21:14

Chevy,if you put AUS in the search box , it will come up with a few conversations, tonypw usually pops ups to comment, but not seen him.on here for a while.

Thanks Chris