I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

So many symptoms…

User
Posted 09 Mar 2023 at 23:51

My husband is 38 and had his biopsy a week ago because an MRI revealed a tumour in his prostate. His psa level was 6.6 and he has had lots of symptoms for months (urinary difficulties, lots of pain, fatigue, blood in urine, fevers). I’m so worried as from what I’ve read most people don’t have any symptoms when it’s early stage cancer. I’d love to hear people’s stories as this is all very new and a very worrying time as it’s so unexpected given his age

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 10:32

Thank you so much for your reply Dave. Yes, they ruled out a uti pretty early on. Thanks for the encouragement:)

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 13:38
Some of these symptoms have no association with prostate cancer (pain & fevers, for example) - it is possible that he has prostate cancer and an infection at the same time. An MRI scan can't see tumours - it can only see a lesion that needs further exploration and cannot usually tell the difference between cancer, damage and infection. The biopsy will have been taken from the suspicious area seen on the scan but at this point, it isn't definitely cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 01:42

It's unlikely this is cancer but not impossible.

Prostate cancer has hardly any symptoms until it is advanced, but when it is advanced the PSA is usually in the hundreds. A urinary tract infection can course all of those symptoms, including a raised PSA, and a positive MRI scan.

There are a tiny number of cases of advanced cancer with low PSA. Probably 1-2% of all prostate cancers. So it could be cancer but fairly unlikely.

Have they tested and eliminated this being a UTI prior to doing the biopsy?

The fact they are doing a biopsy suggests the medics are more than a little concerned, but I would say this is much more likely to come back as all clear than as having cancer.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 10:32

Thank you so much for your reply Dave. Yes, they ruled out a uti pretty early on. Thanks for the encouragement:)

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 13:38
Some of these symptoms have no association with prostate cancer (pain & fevers, for example) - it is possible that he has prostate cancer and an infection at the same time. An MRI scan can't see tumours - it can only see a lesion that needs further exploration and cannot usually tell the difference between cancer, damage and infection. The biopsy will have been taken from the suspicious area seen on the scan but at this point, it isn't definitely cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard