Show search

Notification

Error

Starting ADT

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 16:16

Hi 

PSA 0.7 in early December, then 1.2 in February 2023!! 🙃

Scans show cancer  in a pelvic lymph node. Bone scan clear.

Start ADT next week 16th March and due to meet three Oncologists in April to discuss Chemotherapy, additional hormone treatment and possible Radiation therapy.

I suppose now is the time to be really aggressive with the treatments in the outside hope of a cure. 

Not the jolliest of conversations to have with family, friends and work... But as I say "life is never simple" 

Positive note - our daughter Gemma is having a baby this weekend?? Our second granddaughter and fourth grandchild!!  😁 

Any advice on the treatment and what to expect will be gratefully received. 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 21:07

I started ADT (Decapeptyl) two months before I started chemo.  I did not notice any major impact of the ADT and had no problem working, going to the gym etc.  Libido impacts kicked in after about 6 weeks.

My regime is that chemo is on a Wednesday.  Thursday I am OK but by Friday afternoon I am pretty tired.  I take steroids (Dexamethasone) with the treatment and once they wear off I start to feel the impact of the chemo. This carries through until about Wednesday of the following week.  After that I start to feel better each day.  From cycle 4 on I'm not fully recovered before the next one so I am tired in the afternoon and might need an hours nap to recharge.  I find it is a bit like being jetlagged all the time.

LyneEyres points about avoiding infection, taking time off, WFH and getting additional support for your wife are good advice.  In the week after chemo there will be days when you are just wiped.  And the rest of the time I find if I do too much one day the next day I have to take it easy.

Hope that helps.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2023 at 00:25

Thank you so much Jellies. 

Everyone is different but it is good to hear from you and how your treatment affects you and how you manage the impact by having certain days off at certain point in the treatment cycle.

It makes things a bit less daunting. 

Mike 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 16:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Any advice on the treatment and what to expect will be gratefully received

Gas & air or possibly a spinal block, a lot of pushing and then you can expect a lot of crying and little sleep! 😂

If you meant for you rather than your daughter, salvage RT with HT seems a reasonable way forward. Adding chemo or apalutimide / enzalutimide would be icing on the cake. Lots of men here have had successful salvage RT - my husband's was nearly 11 years ago --- all just a distant memory now!   

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 22:58

I had persistent PSA of 0.5 after RP.  Like yourself PSMA scan Identified pelvic lymph nodes. 

To compare notes, my treatment regime is:

ADT for 3 yrs

Chemo ( just finished 5 of 6 cycles)

Abiraterone to be added to ADT after chemo (they can also use apalutamide or something similar instead)

RT.  8 weeks to pelvic area plus additional to lymph nodes.

Sounds like we are on similar patjways.  Interesting that they are talking about chemo in your case.  My understanding is that this is an aggressive approach in high risk cases where they think the patient can cope with it.  I have not found it too bad...have been on 3 holidays and back at work, so if it is recommended for you I wouldn't worry too much.  I have just come back from the pub with old college mates and they couldn't believe how well I looked after 5 chemo cycles.  So it is all doable and hopefully you will avoid the worst side effects.

My approach is to swallow all the treatments now and hope that in a few years it is all behind me.  If not, well, I'll have given it my best shot.  Best of luck with everything.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 03:39

Many thanks Lyn - the gas and Air sounds perfect 👌 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 03:54

My thoughts exactly... Throw everything at it now and keep my fingers crossed 🤞 You will. said you were back at work. At what stage did you take time off? And yes our paths seem very similar 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 07:03

I did two cycles, then took time off for the next two after Christmas.  Then I realized I was going to run out of sick leave because I also took time last year for my surgery, so I said sod it and went back.  But I work in tech so I'm able to work at home and can grab a nap when I need it.  Working has not been too bad apart from the week after chemo when I've been pretty tired if not exhausted.  I also found it useful to do things I enjoy or take short breaks during chemo (second half of cycle) so it is not one big long drag.  

Edited by member 11 Mar 2023 at 07:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 16:21

Many thanks for your reply. 

I have my first Hormone treatment injection (Prostap) on Thursday 16th and will be starting 14 days Bicalutamide 150 mg 2 days before. 

I'm not sure what to expect. Did you have a similar start to your treatment? Did you need time off of work after your first injection or after each inlection. Or did things build up to needing time off? 

Additional Treatments will be discussed with the Oncologists in April - chemotherapy, additional hormone therapy and possibly radiation therapy. 

Did you take time for the additional treatments that will only last for a certain period of time. 

Sorry for the questions... I will be speaking with work next week and some idea of what to expect may help. Even though side effects are individual to each person. 

Any insight into what might happen will be useful. 

Kind regards 

Mike 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 16:38

Dear Jellies 

Just to add - I could probably work from home one day a week

I Manage a street homeless project for a Charity in St Wales and when home am a carer for my wife.. Not personal care but pretty much all house hold chores, cooking, cleaning, shopping, laundry etc. 

She has PAs to help her in the week.

My work are quite understanding but I manage several people and there is a certain amount of street work and office based work.

As I like to say... Life is never simple. 

Some good news too. Our daughter had our fourth grandchild last night 23.17. A Granddaughter, she weighed in at 7lbs 8oz.

Best regards 

Mike 

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 17:06
You shouldn't need to take any time off work because of injections.

If you go on to have chemo, you might to take off a few days (or WFH) in each cycle around days 5 to 8 - it is essential that you try to avoid exposure to infections during that time.

Not sure about the Welsh system but in England, if you started chemo (or were hit hard by HT induced fatigue) you could request a carer's assessment. The LA would be obliged to look at your wife's needs and your changed circumstances and decide whether additional support could be put in place, e.g. more PA time, etc.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 21:07

I started ADT (Decapeptyl) two months before I started chemo.  I did not notice any major impact of the ADT and had no problem working, going to the gym etc.  Libido impacts kicked in after about 6 weeks.

My regime is that chemo is on a Wednesday.  Thursday I am OK but by Friday afternoon I am pretty tired.  I take steroids (Dexamethasone) with the treatment and once they wear off I start to feel the impact of the chemo. This carries through until about Wednesday of the following week.  After that I start to feel better each day.  From cycle 4 on I'm not fully recovered before the next one so I am tired in the afternoon and might need an hours nap to recharge.  I find it is a bit like being jetlagged all the time.

LyneEyres points about avoiding infection, taking time off, WFH and getting additional support for your wife are good advice.  In the week after chemo there will be days when you are just wiped.  And the rest of the time I find if I do too much one day the next day I have to take it easy.

Hope that helps.

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 21:36

Many thanks Lyn. 

That's pretty much what I have told work.

Chemo or other treatment likely to start end of April.

Marcella, my wife has substantial PA hours. Carers were in place b4 Covid but she can manage most all the time at present, but yes if things worsened for her we would ask to be reassessed. 

Thanks again 

Mike 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2023 at 00:25

Thank you so much Jellies. 

Everyone is different but it is good to hear from you and how your treatment affects you and how you manage the impact by having certain days off at certain point in the treatment cycle.

It makes things a bit less daunting. 

Mike 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 14:31

Thanks for the advice. 

First ADT injection this afternoon. 

I met with the Oncologist on Tuesday its a choice between chemo docetaxel or abiraterone. Also have appointments with Oncologist about Radiation treatment. 

The discussion has veered towards chemo - possibly because of Gleason 8 and cancer in pelvic lymph nodes, plus I am relatively young and in good health to manage the possible more troublesome sife effects? 

Chemo put forward as having harsher side effects but lasting for only a few months whilst Abiraterone would last for 2 years with its side effects. 

The Abiraterone kept back to be used later if cancer continues to progress. 

Or I could opt for the Abiraterone first and docetaxel later. 

Radiation therapy is to be discussed on the 11th April as a third option and in place of above. This has been presented thus far as a unlikely choice because of diffulty of treating lymph node and likelihood of damage to the pelvic area. 

I will have a new appointment quickly after the 11th April to decide which treatment to start. 

Oncologist did not give an opinion just infoation, but did seem to lean towards opting for chemo. 

Is this a similar scenario to anyone? 

Regards 

Mike 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 20:04

Hi Mike

My understanding is that the standard of care for recurrence limited to pelvic lymph nodes is:

- ADT for 3 years

- RT to pelvic area with extra doses to identified lymph nodes

- Abi may be added to ADT (best practice)

- Chemo may also be offered sometimes on top (optional)

To have any chance of a cure you need the RT as that is what actually kills the cancer cells.  The other treatment knock it back but don't kill it (sometimes for many years). So I think you need to clarify with your medical team the decision around offering RT or not and what the implications of that are for your treatment.  Perhaps they cannot use RT due to the location of the lymph nodes but that would move you into an incurable bracket with lifetime ADT.  For myself I had a suspect lymph node outside the pelvic region but because this was so critical to my treatment my onco organised a biopsy on it and fortunately it came up negative.  Hope that all makes sense.  Best wishes.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 21:22

Hmm, food for thought! 🙃

Consultant did imply I would be on ADT for the duration. 

I have the Oncologists secretary's number I will message him and ask him a couple of specific questions. 

Thanks for the info. 

Mike 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 22:48

I think Jellies has assumed that you are on a curative pathway - from your most recent post, it seems the onco is less sure. Also, abiraterone and chemo are usually an either or thing.

With lifetime ADT and a choice of chemo or abiraterone, I think I would want my husband to do chemo first as you can have chemo again in the future as well as keeping the abiraterone (or enzalutimide or apalutimide) in the bag for later. If in a couple of months, the onco offers you RT in addition, you can make a decision at that point.

Edited by member 17 Mar 2023 at 01:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 23:39

Thank you Lyn. 

That's what my line of thought has been.

But still trying to be positive.

I will still see the next Oncologist about RT and ensure if I can go for it at a later date... If its an option.

Life may make sense looking backwards... I'm just a bit uncertain about the future!! 🙃 

Take care and thanks again. 

Mike