I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Grateful

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 13:56

I am new to this communityand fairly new, as a wife, to Pca. 

My husband (68) was diagnosed a year after his first PSA. Initially took the watchful waiting option as he had absolutely no symptoms.

Decided to go ahead with biopsy, as his PSA had doubled in 6mths, found out he has a Gleason Score of 8, T3a tumor. He now has 24mths of ADT inj. ahead (20 as I rype) and has just started 4wks of RadioT.

Still working, was mountain biking every weekend until RadioT started (advised not to) We go walking and have also started collecting firewood for our new stove. 

Life has changed, immeasurably so. My darling oh is either suffering miserably from the cold, or from intense and frequent flushes (17 to 20/day)

I  am so grateful for this community and for everyone's candor and support.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 16:40
Welcome to this club that nobody really wants to be a member of ! My OH is on a different treatment course so unable to comment on the treatment but I’m sure someone will come along and give any advice that you need .

It’s hard for partners to see their loved ones suffer but equally you need take care of yourself.

Things do get easier ,we’re over 7 yrs down this journey with an incurable outcome, luckily Gary still works to keep his mind sane!

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 18:32

Hi Her-indoors,

surely he’s only been told to avoid cycling DURING RT? I asked if there’s anything I shouldn’t do but it was never mentioned.

re the flushes has he tried Sage Leaf…they may help the flushes. Also if you can find a good acupuncturist get a few sessions…it certainly helped me. I was getting them every 30mins at one stage but now I only get them occasionally and they’re much less severe. I’ve got  2 years of HT after my RT which starts on 5th April, so that will be nearly 3 years in total. I have kind of got use to it and just get it with life and enjoying myself, especially on my ebike!

good luck to you both!

Derek

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 16:40
Welcome to this club that nobody really wants to be a member of ! My OH is on a different treatment course so unable to comment on the treatment but I’m sure someone will come along and give any advice that you need .

It’s hard for partners to see their loved ones suffer but equally you need take care of yourself.

Things do get easier ,we’re over 7 yrs down this journey with an incurable outcome, luckily Gary still works to keep his mind sane!

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 18:32

Hi Her-indoors,

surely he’s only been told to avoid cycling DURING RT? I asked if there’s anything I shouldn’t do but it was never mentioned.

re the flushes has he tried Sage Leaf…they may help the flushes. Also if you can find a good acupuncturist get a few sessions…it certainly helped me. I was getting them every 30mins at one stage but now I only get them occasionally and they’re much less severe. I’ve got  2 years of HT after my RT which starts on 5th April, so that will be nearly 3 years in total. I have kind of got use to it and just get it with life and enjoying myself, especially on my ebike!

good luck to you both!

Derek

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 18:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Her-indoors,

Hi Derek,

Apologies, yes, during RT and until comfortable afterwards. He hasn't accelerated to an ebike yet . . . 

I did wonder about Sage Leaf as I know it can help women. Acupuncture is a good shout too!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2023 at 09:58

Hi Decho

Pleased to see you are starting RT in a few weeks after some delays. All for good reasons. A wise decision to have your minienema and water on arrival, it does save problems with the Edinburgh traffic if delayed and avoids wriggling whilst waiting your turn. You will have been on ADT for 3 years, my onco stopped it after 6 mo! Not too soon I hope.

Hope you don't have bad side effects with the RT, I was fairly OK. More problems with coming off HT which is taking an age. My CNS is encouraging and predicts it will go away hopefully this summer as testosterone returns.

Good luck with the treatment. If not already advised I found that changing into dressing gown an carpet slippers handy and speeded things up for the radiographers.

Peternigel