I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

BCR almost 4 years after RP

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 16:27

Hi all this is my first post. I will try and keep it brief.

I was diagnosed in 2018 and had RARP that November. Post surgery I was staged T3b N1 with positive margins and a GS of 8 or 9

I've had 3-monthly PSA's since then and all fine until last October when it came in at 0.1. A retest gave the same result. I have now had two at  0.2 and the last one was 0.3.

I've been given the run-around by the Urology dept. but have now eventually been referred to Oncology. Again I had to push but was sent for Contrast CT a couple of weeks ago. I've heard nothing since because, upon checking, the doc is on leave until next week.

Now coming to my questions: I saw Lyn write in a reply somewhere that this scenario smacks of classic local reccurence. Can someone direct me to more reading on this subject please?  Also what should I be expecting of the oncologist when we first meet? Will they likely have a pathway already planned or will there be more tests or imaging? If the latter what bearing could these delays have on my condition? Is there anything I should push for? I have read that the sooner the sRT begins the better the outcome but I am just not getting a warm fuzzy feeling from what appears to be their lack of urgency. Or am I being over-sensitive?

M

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 18:34

Sorry to hear about the recurrence Clive.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will be able to offer advice in terms of where it may have reoccurred. 

Have you been having more regular PSA tests since the one in October? Just with you having 3 results from then. My husbands rose slightly on his last test so have organised 6 weekly tests for now.

Hopefully you will get the scan results soon and it will give you a better indication. We were told my husband would be able to have a PSMA pet scan at 0.3 then we would know where the cancer had come back to.

I would have thought if you were going to have SRT they would start you on HT fairly soon. Keep pushing for your appointment and wishing you the best of luck 👍

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 18:35

hi Clive,  Your path will depend on the CT scan result.  If it sees nothing they could send you for a clearer psma PET scan, unless that was what you had.  They might start hormones and give you RT with a broad beam without knowing where it is.

It's likely you'll get hormones and RT.  With a Gleason of 8 you might get chemo with hormones for longer and RT.  The chemo I've heard isn't as traumatic as other cancers.  Although we're all different.  If you have a small amount of spread on the scan they can adjust the RT to capture it.

I'd try to push a bit as you don't want the psa to get much higher although many hospitals don't scan until 0.5, although that seems high to me.

You might search and read Ulsterman who had salvage treatment at a much earlier stage but he's written a lot and it worked.  His scan changed the treatment.

Edited by member 16 Mar 2023 at 18:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 19:43

Clive, here is a link to recurrence and treatment info. 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/treatments/if-your-prostate-cancer-comes-back 

Our hospital will now scan at 0.3, the higher the PSA the more chance of detecting something, we have two guys on here one had a tumor detected at 0.023, and another where no solid tumor was detected at 200.

0.2 used to be the trigger for planning SRT, there is lots of research into finding the optimum value of starting treatment but that will also be influenced by the individual's situation.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 19:58

"Now coming to my questions: I saw Lyn write in a reply somewhere that this scenario smacks of classic local reccurence. Can someone direct me to more reading on this subject please? Also what should I be expecting of the oncologist when we first meet? Will they likely have a pathway already planned or will there be more tests or imaging? If the latter what bearing could these delays have on my condition?"

Classic local recurrence pattern is an undetectable PSA for a couple of years and then a fairly slow and steady rise, following a pathology report of negative margins and N0M0 - sadly, I don't think you fall in to this group. Your PSA rise could be as a result of bits of cancer left behind in the prostate bed, but it could just as easily be the cancer is on the move around the lymphatic system or there are now mets somewhere. I think if you were my brother or husband, we would not agree to pelvic RT until scans had been done. Not sure I would get too hung up yet on which tracer; I would go for whichever they propose first (choline PET and a bone scan?) and see if anything shows. If not, then I would ask for PSMA or axumin scan. The important thing is not to start HT before those scans are done!

What happens next really depends on what (if anything) the scans show.

Edited by member 16 Mar 2023 at 22:50  | Reason: typo

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 22:48
If you have the cash pay for a private PSMA scan asap and a follow-up consultation.

If you don't ask your oncologist why you can't have PSMA now to inform your choice of treatment.

With that N1 you must be looking at whole pelvis RT not just prostate bed. PSMA is acknowledged to be the best scan available in recurrence situations. You only get 1 go at curative radio therapy, might as well make sure any problem nodes get zapped.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 23:38

Clive, I had SRT without the scans in 2017. The PSA dropped for a while,so presumably something was in the bed. Following a further PSA in 2022 I had SABR treatment to a pelvic lymph node, picked up by a PSMA scan. Numerous CT scans as part of a trial did not show anything. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 12:55
If you decided that you wanted a PSMA scan, as suggested here by others, you would probably have to pay. I think Swansea can offer PSMA scanning but the tracer is only made in 3 or 4 places nationally, is notoriously difficult to produce and doesn't travel well so appointments can be cancelled at very short notice. Because of these challenges, very few hospitals can offer it on the NHS. That's why I usually suggest that rather than delay while arguing for a PSMA scan and then trying to actually have a successful appointment, it is worth having the other easily available scans in the meantime - they may just pick something up.

There are also other PET tracers such as axumin which are almost as sensitive as PSMA but easier to produce and transport.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 14:30

Hi Clive,  Yes, a conundrum about the best time to have RT, I've heard it said as soon as possible.   I'd seriously consider RT without scan evidence, although I'd rather not.  If something is found elsewhere there is a chance of treating it separately and I wouldn't consider it a waste of time if it reduced the cancer burden, although the NHS might do.

An oncologist said they're a lot better at focussing on small areas now.  He quoted that there was a time when giving RT to a lymph node could burn the instestine, which can have long term effects, but a good operator can now focus on the lymph node with no damage to the intestine.

On psa, yes <0.1 is undetectable but 0.2 and 0.3 as quoted by yourself are just single decimal places.  Your 0.3 might be 0.26 or 0.35 which is getting nearer the 0.5, which might be 0.45. 

I can well imagine your head is full.

Your quote of £2500 sounds reasonable and the timescale better than I expected.  Assuming you know exactly what you're getting and what your NHS doctor will do with it,  I'd be wanting to go for it with a psa at 0.3.  Although I'd want to speak to my NHS contact to see what they offer.  I once rang a private clinic and they sorted out the referral with my GP who I'd seen but not told I'd go private.   Peter

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 17:10

Like I mentioned above Chris, I've only stuck my head in this rabbit hole. You lovely people have a world of experience that will help guide us newcomers. Good luck next week.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2023 at 01:11

I live in mid Wales, I had my PSMA scan here: https://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/specialities/cancer-care

It was quick and easy caught the train there and back in a day.
Didn't find anything but I'm glad I had it done, has given me the confidence to wait for further treatment.

As well as scanning you need to consider if you want whole pelvis or just prostate bed. I have seen 2 oncologists and they recommended different treatments!!

Having read lots of experiences on here over 5 years I get the feeling thoughts are changing from go to Salvage RT early with 3 years HT to wait and scan and maybe no HT. In my case slow rise over 7 years I am minded to wait and scan. If you have a fast doubling time you may not have that option.

Edited by member 18 Mar 2023 at 01:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 00:12

So they were lining you up for an RT planning scan, not knowing about the higher up lymph nodes, and you would have had pointless RT if you had not mentioned this to the nurse. I wonder how many other mistakes the ONC has made. 

I have a friend who is receiving appalling care whilst on active surveillance. It seems in the modern NHS you have to manage your own treatment.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 07:56

Dave , interesting comment about RT being pointless. I had salvage RT three years after surgery. In 2017 SRT to the prostate bed was done as a"very educated guess" and some extent still is. I was refused a PSMA scan and was told if I had one and it found anything SRT would not be on the table and I would be on HT for life. 

The SRT to the prostate bed did reduce the PSA, so something was presumably in the bed. The PSA dropped to 0.08 after SRT then fluctuated for a while. In 2022 at a PSA of 1.4 a PSMA scan found a pelvic lymph node tumor that was treated,  the PSA stalled for a short while before rising again and a second pelvic lymph node tumor has been found and treated.

So the question , is SRT to the prostate bed still useful, even knowing there is something elsewhere. Was my SRT pointless or has it slow down my progression, it certainly kept me off HT for five years, I have now been on bicalutamide for four months and wish I wasn't. There is another post talking about trials on removing the "mothership", is this a variation of the same idea.

Interestingly my first lymph node tumor treated last year still showed a residue of activity nine months after SABR treatment but they still went ahead with SABR treatment to a second lymph node tumor.

Are we just guinea pigs?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 13:11
If they won't irradiate them ask if they could be surgically removed, don't give up on a cure to easily! Definitely worth a second opinion IMHO. Yes speeches!
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 18:34

Sorry to hear about the recurrence Clive.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will be able to offer advice in terms of where it may have reoccurred. 

Have you been having more regular PSA tests since the one in October? Just with you having 3 results from then. My husbands rose slightly on his last test so have organised 6 weekly tests for now.

Hopefully you will get the scan results soon and it will give you a better indication. We were told my husband would be able to have a PSMA pet scan at 0.3 then we would know where the cancer had come back to.

I would have thought if you were going to have SRT they would start you on HT fairly soon. Keep pushing for your appointment and wishing you the best of luck 👍

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 18:35

hi Clive,  Your path will depend on the CT scan result.  If it sees nothing they could send you for a clearer psma PET scan, unless that was what you had.  They might start hormones and give you RT with a broad beam without knowing where it is.

It's likely you'll get hormones and RT.  With a Gleason of 8 you might get chemo with hormones for longer and RT.  The chemo I've heard isn't as traumatic as other cancers.  Although we're all different.  If you have a small amount of spread on the scan they can adjust the RT to capture it.

I'd try to push a bit as you don't want the psa to get much higher although many hospitals don't scan until 0.5, although that seems high to me.

You might search and read Ulsterman who had salvage treatment at a much earlier stage but he's written a lot and it worked.  His scan changed the treatment.

Edited by member 16 Mar 2023 at 18:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 19:09

Hi Elaine, I did get more regular PSA tests. That was the run around I was getting. More bloods rather than a  referral. I have been told I can't get a PET scan until I've had a CT which I don't understand but also that the PET can be a bit blind at PSAs less than 0.5

Either way nothing is happening while the doctor is on holiday but I've penned him an email today just in case he's picking up

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 19:29

Hi Peter, thanks for the signpost, I'll go look for Ulsterman. I guess if your PSA rise is slower than your health board response time you're in with a shot and that's basically what's worrying me. By the time I get to see someone the data will be old

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 19:43

Clive, here is a link to recurrence and treatment info. 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/treatments/if-your-prostate-cancer-comes-back 

Our hospital will now scan at 0.3, the higher the PSA the more chance of detecting something, we have two guys on here one had a tumor detected at 0.023, and another where no solid tumor was detected at 200.

0.2 used to be the trigger for planning SRT, there is lots of research into finding the optimum value of starting treatment but that will also be influenced by the individual's situation.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 19:58

"Now coming to my questions: I saw Lyn write in a reply somewhere that this scenario smacks of classic local reccurence. Can someone direct me to more reading on this subject please? Also what should I be expecting of the oncologist when we first meet? Will they likely have a pathway already planned or will there be more tests or imaging? If the latter what bearing could these delays have on my condition?"

Classic local recurrence pattern is an undetectable PSA for a couple of years and then a fairly slow and steady rise, following a pathology report of negative margins and N0M0 - sadly, I don't think you fall in to this group. Your PSA rise could be as a result of bits of cancer left behind in the prostate bed, but it could just as easily be the cancer is on the move around the lymphatic system or there are now mets somewhere. I think if you were my brother or husband, we would not agree to pelvic RT until scans had been done. Not sure I would get too hung up yet on which tracer; I would go for whichever they propose first (choline PET and a bone scan?) and see if anything shows. If not, then I would ask for PSMA or axumin scan. The important thing is not to start HT before those scans are done!

What happens next really depends on what (if anything) the scans show.

Edited by member 16 Mar 2023 at 22:50  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 21:09

Thanks for this. I had set my goal at the minimum to get pelvic RT started asap if nothing else is immediately obvious. I take it HT affects the visibility of mets in the scans (kind of obvious now you point it out)

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 22:48
If you have the cash pay for a private PSMA scan asap and a follow-up consultation.

If you don't ask your oncologist why you can't have PSMA now to inform your choice of treatment.

With that N1 you must be looking at whole pelvis RT not just prostate bed. PSMA is acknowledged to be the best scan available in recurrence situations. You only get 1 go at curative radio therapy, might as well make sure any problem nodes get zapped.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 22:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks for this. I had set my goal at the minimum to get pelvic RT started asap if nothing else is immediately obvious. I take it HT affects the visibility of mets in the scans (kind of obvious now you point it out)

You may not be so keen to go through RT and the short / medium / long term side effects if it turned out that there was cancer in distant nodes or micromets and it was all for nothing. I think a little patience is in order here - reliable diagnostics are worth waiting for. If the scans show nothing, you have two choices - either you go for pelvic RT in the hope that it works, or you have more scans in the future in the hope that it eventually shows itself but is still curable. If, on the other hand, the scans show some activity, you can make an informed decision with your onco about whether curative RT is possible and desirable.  

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 23:38

Clive, I had SRT without the scans in 2017. The PSA dropped for a while,so presumably something was in the bed. Following a further PSA in 2022 I had SABR treatment to a pelvic lymph node, picked up by a PSMA scan. Numerous CT scans as part of a trial did not show anything. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 10:51

The consensus is then, get the best scans I can before embarking on treatment. Do I understand correctly that a private PET scan will not be immediate and I’d need to be referred for it? I’m in north Wales and struggling to find a urology onc to talk to.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 12:55
If you decided that you wanted a PSMA scan, as suggested here by others, you would probably have to pay. I think Swansea can offer PSMA scanning but the tracer is only made in 3 or 4 places nationally, is notoriously difficult to produce and doesn't travel well so appointments can be cancelled at very short notice. Because of these challenges, very few hospitals can offer it on the NHS. That's why I usually suggest that rather than delay while arguing for a PSMA scan and then trying to actually have a successful appointment, it is worth having the other easily available scans in the meantime - they may just pick something up.

There are also other PET tracers such as axumin which are almost as sensitive as PSMA but easier to produce and transport.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 13:05

Funny you should mention this Lyn. I was just on line discovering how difficult it is to get this scan. I’ve emailed Bath Nuclear Medicine for details but I will try Swansea too. I mentioned the possibility of PSMA to my consultant urologist a few weeks ago, before I knew how deep this rabbit hole goes. He said it wasn’t an option until I’d had conventional scans first so maybe they will fund it (eventually). I’ve already had the contrast CT. Meanwhile, like you suggest, I’ll take anything they offer me

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 13:19

Hi Clive,  I've been told I could be referred for an NHS psma scan at Liverpool if my psa reaches 0.5.   I'm not keen on waiting that long if the rise becomes a concern.   I asked my nurse if the NHS consultant would look at the private scans and was told that a number of their NHS patients have decided to have private scans and they would make use of it.  I got the impression you ring up the private place and ask about the prices and process but as you suggest, I've read there is a bit of a waiting list there as well.

For info my psa has risen from 0.06 to 0.1 in 15 months.  I've noticed a couple of people saying their psa has risen from 0.1 to 0.2 to 0.3 and I wondered if they don't use 2 decimal places at those hospitals.  In that case 0.2 could be 0.16 to 0.25 which at first sight could make a difference.   I intend to ask my nurse about this.

Also I intend to pursue a private scan if the hospital carries on with its 0.5 policy and will do that if it rises quickly or reaches around .17 as it might be over 0.2 by the time it's done.  0.2 is a bit dubious about whether it's a waste of time.  The hospital i'm at has the same nurses for urology and uro-oncology which gives me confidence the nurse knows what they do.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 13:41

Hi Peter, I'm only just now trying to get my head around it all. I am seeing you all post these precise PSA figures but I was told if it says less than "<" then it means insignificant and up until last August it was always <0.1

I also read that PET PMSA potentially only had something like a 60% detection rate below PSA 0.5 but other studies suggest sRT should be started as soon after 0.2 (accepted as BCR) as possible. So therefore the question is, do you dive into RT with the scattergun approach or wait to see what you're dealing with. This is the stuff that's swirling around in my head at the minute ( not that I have much choice as the onc is on holiday! Welcome to Wales). 

Meanwhile I think every pain, ache and twinge is something trying to kill me

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 13:44

A quick update just came in from Bath Nuclear Medicine

The cost is about £ 2500 and lead time about 1 month. We can take a referral from any clinician. 

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 13:59

I've found this in a Wales Health Special Services report for PET scanning.

Criteria:

Prostate Cancer (18 F-Choline PET/CT or 18F-PSMA PET)

• Staging of high-risk patients (clinical T3 or above or PSA > 20 or Gleason 8 or above) who are considered suitable for curative treatment following conventional imaging. [2021]

• Suspected recurrence in patients with a rapidly rising prostatespecific antigen (PSA) and negative or equivocal conventional imaging where the results would directly influence patient management.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 14:30

Hi Clive,  Yes, a conundrum about the best time to have RT, I've heard it said as soon as possible.   I'd seriously consider RT without scan evidence, although I'd rather not.  If something is found elsewhere there is a chance of treating it separately and I wouldn't consider it a waste of time if it reduced the cancer burden, although the NHS might do.

An oncologist said they're a lot better at focussing on small areas now.  He quoted that there was a time when giving RT to a lymph node could burn the instestine, which can have long term effects, but a good operator can now focus on the lymph node with no damage to the intestine.

On psa, yes <0.1 is undetectable but 0.2 and 0.3 as quoted by yourself are just single decimal places.  Your 0.3 might be 0.26 or 0.35 which is getting nearer the 0.5, which might be 0.45. 

I can well imagine your head is full.

Your quote of £2500 sounds reasonable and the timescale better than I expected.  Assuming you know exactly what you're getting and what your NHS doctor will do with it,  I'd be wanting to go for it with a psa at 0.3.  Although I'd want to speak to my NHS contact to see what they offer.  I once rang a private clinic and they sorted out the referral with my GP who I'd seen but not told I'd go private.   Peter

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 16:25

Clive, unfortunately as you have probably realised finding the source of the cancer is not simple, Following recurrence after SRT, I went on a cancer vaccine trial. I probably had 4 or five CT and bone scans when my PSA was between 0.51 and 1.4, none of those scans picked up anything. I then had a PSMA  scan at 1.4 and it found a tumor in a pelvic lymph node which has been treated with SABR, I will find out next week what is happening.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 17:10

Like I mentioned above Chris, I've only stuck my head in this rabbit hole. You lovely people have a world of experience that will help guide us newcomers. Good luck next week.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2023 at 01:11

I live in mid Wales, I had my PSMA scan here: https://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/specialities/cancer-care

It was quick and easy caught the train there and back in a day.
Didn't find anything but I'm glad I had it done, has given me the confidence to wait for further treatment.

As well as scanning you need to consider if you want whole pelvis or just prostate bed. I have seen 2 oncologists and they recommended different treatments!!

Having read lots of experiences on here over 5 years I get the feeling thoughts are changing from go to Salvage RT early with 3 years HT to wait and scan and maybe no HT. In my case slow rise over 7 years I am minded to wait and scan. If you have a fast doubling time you may not have that option.

Edited by member 18 Mar 2023 at 01:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 16:30

Hi all, it's been a while. I now have some tales to tell and some updates. This may not be exactly chronological but it should explain how I've got to where I am now.

I emailed my Urology consultant asking about PET scans. He said I wouldn't get one until I'd had a CT scan. 

I got a C T scan that didn't show anything. I was referred to Oncology and  waited......

Eventually I complained and hey presto got an appointment within a few days. The ONC said I should just start the standard pelvic salvageRT. I asked if I could get the PET scan. (The Trust actually does them in-house) He said he would refer me but warned me that I may be rejected because I didn't met all the criteria. Not sure what that is but possibly PSA 0.5 or less.

After the PET I  returned to see him and hey guess what, two met nodes "higher up" that the RT wouldn't have touched. They are small but in inaccessible locations. He tells me this is a problem but he'll refer me for RT and the team will discuss options. Meanwhile I'm put on Bic and Decapeptyl 3 monthly. After three months my PSA is less than 0.1. Phew.

Last week I got called up for my RT planning. I assumed that the MDT had come up with some options and all would be revealed at this appointment. When I mentioned it to the RT nurse she knew nothing about it and offered to track my ONC down in clinic so I could speak to him. I went into his office where he announced that the team thought I should be having Chemo. Duh! When was he going to tell me? I had no appointments pending with him. This was just a chance meeting. 

Anyway this brings me to now. He has given me some reading material to consider. Either Docetaxel or Enzalutamide. I'm a reasonably fit 67 year old so I'm thinking chemo. One of the factors is that I've heard that Enza can follow chemo but not the other way around. Also I got the impression that the ONCs preference would be chemo.

Your thoughts, feelings, advice would be most welcome.

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 23:03
Sorry Clive I can't work out from your post if the lymph nodes are being treated or not? Are they doing the prostate bed too?

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 23:38

Hi Jonathan, no they're not. When the ONC announced that they had decided on chemo he cancelled the RT at the same time. It was all a bit after-thought ish. I'm not thrilled with the care so far I have to say

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 00:12

So they were lining you up for an RT planning scan, not knowing about the higher up lymph nodes, and you would have had pointless RT if you had not mentioned this to the nurse. I wonder how many other mistakes the ONC has made. 

I have a friend who is receiving appalling care whilst on active surveillance. It seems in the modern NHS you have to manage your own treatment.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 07:56

Dave , interesting comment about RT being pointless. I had salvage RT three years after surgery. In 2017 SRT to the prostate bed was done as a"very educated guess" and some extent still is. I was refused a PSMA scan and was told if I had one and it found anything SRT would not be on the table and I would be on HT for life. 

The SRT to the prostate bed did reduce the PSA, so something was presumably in the bed. The PSA dropped to 0.08 after SRT then fluctuated for a while. In 2022 at a PSA of 1.4 a PSMA scan found a pelvic lymph node tumor that was treated,  the PSA stalled for a short while before rising again and a second pelvic lymph node tumor has been found and treated.

So the question , is SRT to the prostate bed still useful, even knowing there is something elsewhere. Was my SRT pointless or has it slow down my progression, it certainly kept me off HT for five years, I have now been on bicalutamide for four months and wish I wasn't. There is another post talking about trials on removing the "mothership", is this a variation of the same idea.

Interestingly my first lymph node tumor treated last year still showed a residue of activity nine months after SABR treatment but they still went ahead with SABR treatment to a second lymph node tumor.

Are we just guinea pigs?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 08:10

That's the long and short of it Dave. Plus, the ONC wouldn't have known about the higher nodes if  I hadn't pushed for the PET scan. 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 09:46
So are you getting the nodes treated now?

Remember the treatment you get isn't "decided" by the Oncologist. It a process of informed consent and the Onco has a duty of care to inform you of all your options.

I think you have the basis of a negligence case against the Onco, clearly he doesn't know what he is doing.

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 09:53
Regarding treatment choices, that Dr Kwon video from 2016 on the other thread is worth watching again. Supports the use of all the tools while PC is still "oligo".

My daughter's wedding is next week I have postponed my PSA until October, the anxiety and what ifs are just starting! I hope it's gone down again or stayed the same, having had residual PSA for 8 years now I feel that may be denying the inevitable!

So shame this forum doesn't allow "voting" I would love to put it to you lot what my choices should be to take the decision out of my hands if it has started up again!

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 10:22

I know how hard it is to get it out of your head but hopefully a daughter's wedding associated speeches 😱 will be enough to distract you for a little while. Congratulations to her and enjoy the day.

I had already asked about SABR but he says the nodes are too close to my aorta and nobody would take the risk.

The largest tumor is on the prostatic bed but I assume chemo will treat it all wherever it's found. The enzalutamide option was only presented when I asked about alternatives to the chemo. The trouble is he's the only ONC I know and I have little faith. Hence my post on here. 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2023 at 13:11
If they won't irradiate them ask if they could be surgically removed, don't give up on a cure to easily! Definitely worth a second opinion IMHO. Yes speeches!