Show search

Notification

Error

Recent Prostate cancer diagnosis

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 09:42

Hi All

My name is Steve and I was diagnosed with Prostrate cancer 8 days ago

Fortunately it is the lowest Grade and after discussing treatments I have decided to go on active surveillance.

I do however have 2 issues 

1) For the last 3 months I have been issues with my buttock area (it is most uncomfortable when sitting down, its almost like I have lost muscle and I am sitting on my bones) I explained this to the doctor and nurse but they didn't think it was related to my cancer diagnosis.

2) for the last week I have had quite bad back pain, lower and along the spine area.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had these kind of issues.

Thanks for listening

Steve 

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 12:22

Once you have a cancer diagnosis you will assume everything is caused by cancer. We all do.

Only in advanced cancer would there be any chance of those symptoms being caused by the cancer. That will not have been missed when you were diagnosed.

Back ache is caused by one of your ancestors, about 100000 years ago, deciding to walk on two legs instead of four.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 22:43

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
1) For the last 3 months I have been issues with my buttock area (it is most uncomfortable when sitting down, its almost like I have lost muscle and I am sitting on my bones) I explained this to the doctor and nurse but they didn't think it was related to my cancer diagnosis. 2) for the last week I have had quite bad back pain, lower and along the spine area

This sounds like sciatica or something similar - sciatica often gets better by itself and there isn't a great deal of treatment for it except rest, adjusting your position (if you have recently changed your chair or got new cushions, for example), gentle exercise and possibly pain relief with an anti-inflammatory such as aspirin or ibuprofen. The fact that it has got worse in the week since you were told you have cancer suggests that it could be linked to tension, poor sleep quality, tossing & turning at night, etc. I think it is worth seeing your GP.   

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 22:54

Hi LynEyre

Ive been told it might be sciatica but doesn’t seem to fit the symptoms, anyway never mind like Dave said it’s probably nothing I’m a pessimist not an optimist 🫤 unfortunately