I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Did your initial symptoms subside after RP?

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 23:12

Hi all

I just wanted to ask did your initial symptoms subside after a RP?

I was diagnosed with locally advanced last week and have had symptoms for around the last 12 months of constant urge to pee, urination frequency, pain in testicles, pain in penis and a full “awkward” feeling in the rectum. 
I guess many people have had similar symptoms and I wondered did these go away after surgery?

I understand there will be surgery recovery time but once you were through this did things settle down?

I know incontinence and ED would be the new challenges but I really hope the constant urge and penile pain would go. 
Thanks for your time

Greg. 

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 01:15
My husband said he could "piss like a teenager" after RP - it was one of the few benefits of being diagnosed, along with getting a proper night's sleep rather than getting up 3 or 4 times a night! Also, a couple of the symptoms you describe sound more like inflammation (prostatitis or UTI) than cancer so no prostate means no inflammation.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 09:12
Re abdominal pains are you sure that is not hip pain caused by your Psoriasis?

I was convinced my groin pain was PC but a hip replacement fixed it...

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 09:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The abdominal pains will very likely be something else but I’m still confused about the prostatitis pains.

John was on medication from the age of 35 for a bladder muscle problem that caused horrible pain in his groin / lower belly. When he was diagnosed with PCa at 50, the urologist reassured us that the two things were not related. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 01:15
My husband said he could "piss like a teenager" after RP - it was one of the few benefits of being diagnosed, along with getting a proper night's sleep rather than getting up 3 or 4 times a night! Also, a couple of the symptoms you describe sound more like inflammation (prostatitis or UTI) than cancer so no prostate means no inflammation.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 08:21

Thank you Lyn

haha I’ll look forward to that day when I feel like a teenager again, if it ever comes. Thank you. 

My GP initially thought my symptoms were the result of prostatitis which is why the investigations started 12 months ago.
No UTI was ever found but I was never asked to visit hospital to test for prostatitis. 

I think the cancer has been found by chance after I kept pushing about the constant pain in my genitals and abdomen. The abdominal pains will very likely be something else but I’m still confused about the prostatitis pains. 

I guess I could have both and it’s lucky that the cancer has been found just locally advanced. 

I have serious problems with inflammation throughout my body as I suffer from psoriatic arthritis. 

Thanks again for the reassurance that things can get better :)

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 09:12
Re abdominal pains are you sure that is not hip pain caused by your Psoriasis?

I was convinced my groin pain was PC but a hip replacement fixed it...

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 09:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The abdominal pains will very likely be something else but I’m still confused about the prostatitis pains.

John was on medication from the age of 35 for a bladder muscle problem that caused horrible pain in his groin / lower belly. When he was diagnosed with PCa at 50, the urologist reassured us that the two things were not related. 

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 09:18

Hi francij1 

I’m unsure to be honest. I had a referral to gastroenterology about 9 months ago to investigate abdominal pains as I had a calprotectin test with a result of 547. (50 and under is normal, above 200 means significant inflammation). 
I cannot get in to gastro as they have no places available and can only acknowledge I am on the waiting list. 
I was hoping the results of the bone scan may also show the effect/damage from my psoriatic arthritis, as well as any cancer spread. 
Interesting times ahead … gulp. 
Thank you

Greg. 

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 09:24

Thanks Lyn

I’m hoping that now I have a cancer diagnosis it may trigger further tests to get to the bottom of what has been causing such pain and discomfort for the past 12 months. 
I did read that many cancer sufferers find problems and hopefully solutions to other health conditions simply because of the amount  of tests they undergo with their cancer diagnosis … if that makes sense. 
I’m going to ask if the cancer can spread to soft tissue and organs, he already said it can, but usually spreads to bone and lymph nodes first. 
My experience of medical data in the past 9 years, with psoriatic arthritis, has shown that for some reason I don’t meet the usual criteria … for instance my inflammatory blood markers have never changed throughout the arthritis journey, all show normal, yet my joints have been damaged by the arthritis. 
It’s certainly a challenge.