Error

Is PSA 2.0 a good first score 10 weeks after RT

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 11:11

As per title, I think it is but welcome other input as always

Best wishes Tony

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 09:09

Urination symptoms are usually caused by enlarged prostate, not prostate cancer. You haven't mentioned that you've had any treatment for enlarged prostate. Hormone therapy does also treat enlarged prostate, at least while you're on it and for a while afterwards. You might ask if you can try Tamsulosin. You might also look up Bladder Retraining which is about training your bladder to expect to fill up more between pees.

User
Posted 16 Oct 2023 at 15:23

Just to say I'm now 1.7 after latest blood test. So it seems things are going in the right direction after RT. 

Best wishes to all

User
Posted 16 Oct 2023 at 15:38

Good news Tony, onwards and downwards😊 My next one is end of December but don’t know if I can expect it to fall below its post RT level of 0.3🤔.

Hope you didn’t find the wait for results to stressful!

all the best

Derek

User
Posted 16 Oct 2023 at 16:31

Thanks Derek, good yours is so low, and hope all is well in general. 

I wasnt too stressed waiting for the result. I feel fine generally, so its often hard to grasp I have cancer

As I didnt have HRT it seems unlikely my score will go as low as 0.3. But as long as its at this type of level, 1. something, apparently that's okay

Best wishes Tony

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 11:27
What was it before RT Tony?

Derek

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 11:50
Did you have Hormone as well as RT, Tony?

I did & PSA was about 0.02 shortly after RT was checked.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 12:06

Yes, cancer cells have not all died yet and you still have healthy prostate cells. Only people who had RP can expect PSA <0.1 

Dave

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 12:27

Hi all, thanks for replies. It was 9 pre RT, I didnt have HT.  The nurse said 2 was a good score and glad to have some confirmation from your good selves🤗

Of course have been checking with Dr Google too, but can be difficult to get to the right answers online

Best wishes Tony 

Edited by member 24 Apr 2023 at 12:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 18:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi all, thanks for replies. It was 9 pre RT, I didnt have HT.  The nurse said 2 was a good score and glad to have some confirmation from your good selves🤗

Of course have been checking with Dr Google too, but can be difficult to get to the right answers online

Best wishes Tony 

No HT, that would explain it. Was the lack of HT, your choice? Or Onco's?

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 19:10

Hi Bob, I was never offered HT, and certainly didn't want it if not deemed necessary 🤗

So I guess PSA would have been lower if I would have had HT first. But as long as the RT has been /is being successful, its all good

Best wishes Tony 

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 19:21
After hormone therapy and 20 sessions of radiotherapy, I was told that they wouldn't do another psa test immediately because 'things needed time to settle down'. When I did get one 6 months later, my psa was less than 0.03.

regards,

Hermit.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 21:46

Tony, I had HT, but not the sort that suppresses testosterone production and so, like you, my PSA never went particularly low. My oncologist said he’d regard a minimum (nadir) PSA of 2 or below as indicating successful treatment. My PSA was 13.3 immediately prior to RT, 4.6 six weeks after RT ended, and 2.0 six months later, and my oncologist was very pleased. It continued to gradually fall for the next three years and went to a nadir of 1.0. Four years after RT ended it’s currently 1.2. Your result seems absolutely fine to me, and you should see a continued fall for at least the next 18 months. You and I are in a completely different game to those who have testosterone-suppressing HT.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by member 26 Apr 2023 at 22:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 23:05

Hi Chris and Hermit, thanks for replies. 

Really pleased to read your analysis Chris. It gives me even greater confidence this is a good result. Naturally, I believed my nurse when she said it was good news, as she and my my treatment in general, has been brilliant throughout.

But it's always great to get confirmation from those who've been through the process. I'm delighted your scores are on the right track too, and good luck for your future.

Best wishes to all on this great forum, Tony

Edited by member 26 Apr 2023 at 23:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 04:12

Next PSA test is next month.

Meanwhile, it seems I'm peeing even more than before RT. I don't know if that's significant or not re tumour, but it's irritating for sure 🙁

However, when I'm out and about, I'm okay. Of course I need to go more than I did when I was 40, but not as much as when I'm at home. So maybe there's a psychological aspect to it. 

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 09:09

Urination symptoms are usually caused by enlarged prostate, not prostate cancer. You haven't mentioned that you've had any treatment for enlarged prostate. Hormone therapy does also treat enlarged prostate, at least while you're on it and for a while afterwards. You might ask if you can try Tamsulosin. You might also look up Bladder Retraining which is about training your bladder to expect to fill up more between pees.

User
Posted 10 Sep 2023 at 12:00

Hi Andy, thanks for reply. I dont know if I have an enlarged prostate tbh. I've lost track of things as it's so long since I've been to a doc/hospital.

Will look into your suggestions, much thanks again, Tony. 

User
Posted 16 Oct 2023 at 15:23

Just to say I'm now 1.7 after latest blood test. So it seems things are going in the right direction after RT. 

Best wishes to all

User
Posted 16 Oct 2023 at 15:38

Good news Tony, onwards and downwards😊 My next one is end of December but don’t know if I can expect it to fall below its post RT level of 0.3🤔.

Hope you didn’t find the wait for results to stressful!

all the best

Derek

User
Posted 16 Oct 2023 at 16:31

Thanks Derek, good yours is so low, and hope all is well in general. 

I wasnt too stressed waiting for the result. I feel fine generally, so its often hard to grasp I have cancer

As I didnt have HRT it seems unlikely my score will go as low as 0.3. But as long as its at this type of level, 1. something, apparently that's okay

Best wishes Tony