I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Single Fraction Radiotherapy

User
Posted 27 May 2023 at 06:53

Good morning all.  I have just had a single fraction radiotherapy to my left femur head for pain management.  I was told at the time as I was getting all my radiotherapy dose at the one time that

1. I may be tired (this is true) 

and

2. The pain may get worse before it get better (also true at the moment).  

I only had the treatment 2 days ago.  My question is has anyone had similar and did they get pain relief?  If so how long before this kicked in? 

Thanks in advance 

Michael 

User
Posted 27 May 2023 at 17:13

Hi Chris thanks for the reply.  Fortunately I am on morphine slow release and fast acting tabs for pain and flare at the moment.  I am hoping maybe after a week left side feels less pain then I will maybe go with a single dose on the right femur as well.  Haven’t had any lung or throat problems so far, stomach is a bit sore and upset right enough. 

Thanks again Chris. 

Michael 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 16:13

Hi Michael 

Good to hear a little positive news how ever small it is,hope all goes well.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 20:53

Hi micheal

Having a kidney stent fitted tomorrow,and stones removed in about a month,next oncol appointment by phone in about 4 weeks so we'll see what psa is at then,still 50/50 on cruise booked Saturday,let's see how the stent feels when it's in.

Regards Phil 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 May 2023 at 16:18
Hi Michael I had 3 single doses to upper spine , lower spine and right ribs. They gave me liquid Morphine to cope with any flare. Truth is the bones didn’t flare but my throat and Lungs and stomach were pretty awful for a week. I’m sure your GP would provide better pain killers if you told them of treatment
User
Posted 27 May 2023 at 17:13

Hi Chris thanks for the reply.  Fortunately I am on morphine slow release and fast acting tabs for pain and flare at the moment.  I am hoping maybe after a week left side feels less pain then I will maybe go with a single dose on the right femur as well.  Haven’t had any lung or throat problems so far, stomach is a bit sore and upset right enough. 

Thanks again Chris. 

Michael 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 09:32
About a week and a half post treatment and in the area treated there is better strength and less pain, hope this update helps anyone else having this approach. I will now talk to oncology about another few sites I feel I would benefit from pain relief using this approach.

Best wishes all

Michael

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 16:13

Hi Michael 

Good to hear a little positive news how ever small it is,hope all goes well.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 18:29

Thank you Phil, there hasn’t been much of it so even small wins are great.  To feel less pain in that area is awesome.  I hope you are doing ok. 

Cheers

Michael 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 20:53

Hi micheal

Having a kidney stent fitted tomorrow,and stones removed in about a month,next oncol appointment by phone in about 4 weeks so we'll see what psa is at then,still 50/50 on cruise booked Saturday,let's see how the stent feels when it's in.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 22:03

Hi Phil, good luck with that, hope it goes well for you.  Fingers crossed for the cruise. 

Best wishes

Michael